• Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Other (Post below)

Votes: 9 3.8%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Who was that Umpire at the Women's Single's Final and why was she so unfair??

I am so angry about that Umpire at the Women's Singles Final at Excel today. Nevermind how she judged Ding Ning's serves, but WHY ON EARTH did she give Ding Ning a red card? For what? For questioning a decision she didn't understand?

Ding Ning is such a gracious person, she was so polite, only wanting to understand what she did wrong, only to be given a red card. How is that fair?

You could see how upset Ding Ning was just by her tone of voice when she spoke to the translator before the 4th set, she was shaky and distraught.

I just registered to this site just so I could post this comment. We need justice for Ding Ning in the form of an apology from the Umpire in question.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
super unfair for dingning, the umpire n all the policies of ittf, wt the f man, ittf needa straighten the crap up, swt a defined rule n pbjective way to measure it, once every 4 years, epic final ruined for unfair reason, wt the fffffffff

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
I have to be honest, it makes things interesting because people who would not otherwise have gotten farther than they normally might. But, if you look at the draw, the level of competition in this tournament is fairly low. There are lots of tournaments throughout the pro tour that have a higher level of competition than this tournament had. The results so far have been interesting. But it would be nice if there were a few more higher level players in there.

Totally agree with the low level of competition. Four of the best players in the world are in London just to be sparring partners. (Don't worry, that's my final comment on this sad affair.)

Just watched women's final. It was absolutely incredible - until the petty Italian umpire spoilt it by getting involved with the controversial service rule. Compared to most of the male servers, they were fine. You've got to feel a great deal of sympathy for Ding. I'm actually a little surprised they gave the job to a European to officiate (surely it's important to be able to converse with the players. Giving the odd hand gesture is just not good enough).

MJB

This user has no status.

MJB

This user has no status.
May 2012
I am so angry about that Umpire at the Women's Singles Final at Excel today. Nevermind how she judged Ding Ning's serves, but WHY ON EARTH did she give Ding Ning a red card? For what? For questioning a decision she didn't understand?

Ding Ning is such a gracious person, she was so polite, only wanting to understand what she did wrong, only to be given a red card. How is that fair?

You could see how upset Ding Ning was just by her tone of voice when she spoke to the translator before the 4th set, she was shaky and distraught.

I just registered to this site just so I could post this comment. We need justice for Ding Ning in the form of an apology from the Umpire in question.

Apparently, she was red-carded because she went for an illegal towel break after the controversial incident!! It's crazy. A lot of umpires are lacking in common sense.

Reactions: UnfairUmpireAtExcel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Apparently, she was red-carded because she went for an illegal towel break after the controversial incident!! It's crazy. A lot of umpires are lacking in common sense.

Incredible. Such incompetence.

I have just emailed BBC News ([email protected]) and Sky News ([email protected]) about this, hoping it will catch their attention (if it hasn't already).

Also, how stupid not to have a Chinese speaking Umpire for this particular final?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Incredible. Such incompetence.

I have just emailed BBC News ([email protected]) and Sky News ([email protected]) about this, hoping it will catch their attention (if it hasn't already).

Also, how stupid not to have a Chinese speaking Umpire for this particular final?

Haha, I just have to say this, but wouldn't it be biased towards China to have a ref that spoke Chinese? We can't have that now can we??

On a less satirical note, is there anywhere to see a video of this match/these serves in the U.S.?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
its was ridiculous, so unfair on ding ning.
i think the rule should be that the angle of the throw up should be between 45-90 degrees, that clears things up so well...s long as the players arent hiding the ball, i dont see a problem with the angle of the throw up, as long as its decent
it was still an awesome final though, some incredible rallies and im so glad for Li, its about time she won something, and the olympics is the pinnacle! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
What the umpire did seemed pretty unfair to me, Ding Ning was completely destroyed after the 2 penalty points. They both played great though, really fast rallies. Li was played REALLY good too though.

BTW, Ding Ning did NOT get a red card. Red card means you're kicked from the match. When the umpire holds both yellow and red card up, it means the player in question gets 1 penalty point.

3.05.02.03 Except as provided in 3.5.2.2 and 3.5.2.5, if a player who has been warned commits a second offence in the same individual match or team match, the umpire shall award 1 point to the offender's opponent and for a further offence he shall award 2 points, each time holding up a yellow and a red card together.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
What the umpire did seemed pretty unfair to me, Ding Ning was completely destroyed after the 2 penalty points. They both played great though, really fast rallies. Li was played REALLY good too though.

BTW, Ding Ning did NOT get a red card. Red card means you're kicked from the match. When the umpire holds both yellow and red card up, it means the player in question gets 1 penalty point.

3.05.02.03 Except as provided in 3.5.2.2 and 3.5.2.5, if a player who has been warned commits a second offence in the same individual match or team match, the umpire shall award 1 point to the offender's opponent and for a further offence he shall award 2 points, each time holding up a yellow and a red card together.

Thank you for clearing that up regarding the yellow/red card. Now it makes sense :)

It was heartbreaking to watch Ding Ning so distraught. It did not need to happen and I do think that Italian Umpire needs to apologise. She was arrogant and seemed biased against Ding Ning.

Last edited:
Reactions: ducksick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well the ball of Ding Ning was really not falling much, it could be less than allowed..
I agree with giving that one point.
I dont agree with the red-yellow cards and with another point to Li Xiaoxia..
Anyways, Li was so much on fire, that even without this I dont think much would be different.
Ding Ning would still be mad for losing the final, Xiaoxia would still be gold medalist.

But still it was not very nice from the umpire..

TME

This user has no status.

TME

This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Coming back to the Men's game now, since there is a thread for the controversy, I just saw Wang Hao's quarter final and I think he will win the gold after seeing this, he was so fast and completely focused.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Guys you're not gonna believe whom I just saw on the underground train here in London! I was just coming back from friend's place where we played table tennis, and on Jubilee line I saw a whole group of South Korean representatives. Among them - Joo See Hyuk, Ryu Seung-Min and Sang Eun Oh. I stood there for a moment blinking as if I couldn't bring myself to believe if it was really them or am I dreaming? I hadn't had my mobile phone with me so I couldn't take any pictures but as they were entering the train, I took my bat out of the bag and waved at them through the window and we exchanged some smiles :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Pissed off with the umpire and for the very first time, the 1st service fault, Ding Ning back behind the umpire, how on earth she can justified DN made an service error? She must has a super hawk eye to see thru it? and as a team mate, LXX shall not attack full force, at least shows some respect, sportmanship, by giving a point or so to comfort Ding Ning when unfair decisions by umpire. Made an obvious error or service errro to DN. At least both can continue to play and fight to the end. Even LXX wins, she'll be proud whereas she did not do that at all to consider the circumstances, and i knew the GOLD very important but pls be sportmanship to respect your opponent. Honestly, I guess lots forumers believe the umpire spolit the whole game, esp DN momentums, and those service faults, calls at the critical mements, and you broke down her mental strength to play again. I really pity her, and I knew from there she lost the match. You can tell when she cried. Her dreams just varnished by the hand of umpire and ittf shall look into it to set a new basic understanding of service rules. Unfair and sad finals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
New poster here. Have a question for everyone:

How secretive are the top Chinese players (Zhang Jike and Wang Hao) about what blade/rubbers they use? I have been searching this stuff in English and it seems like some of it only trickles out when people on the web find great close-up photos. Or are they players actively endorsing the products in China, and it's just hard to find details in English? (It's hard to tell how accurate/up-to-date the equipment listings are.)

Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
Li X X totally deserves a win even there wasn't some controversies with umpire .. when the ball cames to her left side, she used that unbelievable backhand flips and when the ball cames to her right, she used very strong spins .. Superb!
the replay for Woman Singles Final is up too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
New poster here. Have a question for everyone:

How secretive are the top Chinese players (Zhang Jike and Wang Hao) about what blade/rubbers they use? I have been searching this stuff in English and it seems like some of it only trickles out when people on the web find great close-up photos. Or are they players actively endorsing the products in China, and it's just hard to find details in English? (It's hard to tell how accurate/up-to-date the equipment listings are.)

Thanks!

Hi.. Welcome =)

You'd want to take a look at this thread. Chinese Team Bat Pictures. Probably, not match with the latest equipments they are using but it's pretty good as a reference so far.