Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
for a slightly different view on nutrition try out some stuff by (lots of it on youtube):

gary taubes
steve phinney
jeff volek
tim noakes (what is very interesting is his recent legal case)
robert lustig (one of the original "sugar is bad" people)
... there are plenty more that i have left out

very interesting from a whole lot of angles ... but i reckon this discussion warrants its own thread as it is waaaaay ot

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
for a slightly different view on nutrition try out some stuff by (lots of it on youtube):

gary taubes
steve phinney
jeff volek
tim noakes (what is very interesting is his recent legal case)
robert lustig (one of the original "sugar is bad" people)
... there are plenty more that i have left out

very interesting from a whole lot of angles ... but i reckon this discussion warrants its own thread as it is waaaaay ot

It is indeed quite interesting! Most of these people seem to be advocates either of low-carbohydrate/high fat diets, or high fat ketogenic diets, with lustig seeming to be primarily against excessive fructose consumption.

Albeit I do think that these dietary guidelines are likely quite different for elite athletes, which vary a across quite a wide field of required intensity and endurance (among other things)! I think I read a short piece by volek somewhere where he says athletes should be eating 85% fats with 0% carbohydrates, which is interesting.

Another factor might also be familiarity, as I know that many elite marathon runners are quite picky with how they like their refreshments during a race, I've read of top runners losing a race because their usual room temperature water had been mistakenly taken by someone else and they cramped up from drinking the cold water at the refreshment stop!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Look at the impacts of the recent WTTC results :)

Press Releases
Table Tennis Mixed Doubles Added to Tokyo 2020
09 Jun 2017

Mixed Doubles event has been added to the Table Tennis Olympic programme for Tokyo 2020, which was announced at the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Committee meeting in Lausanne today.

YOSHIMURA-Maharu-JPN-ISHIKAWA-Kasumi-JPN_2017WTTC_PRG_4984 riot15pc.jpg
Mixed Doubles Final at the World Table Tennis Championships in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 06 June 2017.

On the decision, ITTF President Thomas WEIKERT stated: “The ITTF is extremely happy to have Mixed Doubles added to the Olympic Program. Table Tennis obtained very high television and social media numbers at Rio 2016, so we feel that a fifth gold medal was deserved. At last week’s World Championships, a sellout crowd of 8,000 people watched the Mixed Doubles final, so we know that the public has an appetite for this exciting event and it will be a huge success at Tokyo 2020.”

Fittingly, just six days ago, the Japanese pair of Kasumi ISHIKAWA and Maharu YOSHIMURA were crowned Mixed Doubles World Champions in Dusseldorf, Germany and will now have the chance to turn their World title into an Olympic gold on home soil in three years’ time.

After hearing the announcement, ISHIKAWA stated: “I am so happy that Mixed Doubles will be included in Tokyo 2020. I have so much fun playing Mixed Doubles, and now that I have a chance of winning gold in this cool event in front of my home crowd is a dream come true!”

A record 15% of the total viewing audience on TV Tokyo in Japan tuned in to watch the Japanese pair strike gold, which shows the popularity of the event in Japan which is great signs for Tokyo 2020.

Japanese victory at the World Championships follows in the footsteps of Korea Republic & China’s international paring gold in 2015 and Korea DPR’s historic win back in 2013 which makes Mixed Doubles the most unpredictable and exciting event!

Raul CALIN, Director of Operations and Olympic/Paralympic Games, stated: “Since table tennis joined the Olympic Games program in 1988, we tried two times to get the mixed doubles being added unsuccessfully. The ITTF wants to thank the IOC Executive Board, the Olympic program commission led by Mr Franco Carraro, Tokyo 2020 organizing committee and the IOC Summer Sports Department for their consideration to our application. It has been long and exciting journey, but now with the inclusion, an even more exciting journey begins”.

The Mixed Doubles event means that table tennis will have five gold medals at Tokyo 2020: Men’s singles, Women’s singles, Men’s team, Women’s team and now Mixed Doubles.

http://www.ittf.com/2017/06/09/table-tennis-mixed-doubles-added-tokyo-2020/

-------------
Ha ha ha... Good job <THUMBS-UP>... I can only smile to read this PR....

BUT... WHY only half-baked, just five events in Olympics? WHY not the whole seven events? The Swimming can have so many events (indeed cannot remember how many events it has) varying the distances with styles, WHY not Table Tennis just has the all seven events: five individuals plus two team events???

And who says the Swimming is more interesting to audience or TV viewers than Table Tennis matches??? Who says that?? LOL... just BS $$$ talks (polls), if any!

Last edited:
Reactions: Michal_Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
What seven events? I can come up with men's and women's singles and doubles, and mixed doubles, making five. Team events? Mixed team events? Randomized doubles?
Five individual events (MS MD WS WD XD) and Men's Team and Women's Team Events, total seven events... still a peanut compared to the total number of events in Swimming alone... but NBC paid out a huge amount of $$$ for the multiyear contract to IOC... BiG BUSiNESS!!! :cool::mad:

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Albeit I do think that these dietary guidelines are likely quite different for elite athletes, which vary a across quite a wide field of required intensity and endurance (among other things)! I think I read a short piece by volek somewhere where he says athletes should be eating 85% fats with 0% carbohydrates, which is interesting.

Totally carb free diet could only be proposed by someone who missed some of his biochemistry lectures where they covered fatty acid beta oxidation. You actually need some carbs to metabolize fat. It is insane and prettyy much unsustainable.

Last edited:
(still way ot, sorry)

surely any big enough lack of glycogen can be dealt with by gluconeogenesis? practically, eating any vegetables will give you some form of carbs. i think the idea is to limit carbs according to how each individual's body reacts to them ie. keep it below a certain amount to prevent the insulin resistance and all the bad stuff that follows.

sidenote : <25g carbs per day is absolutely sustainable ... plenty of type 2 diabetics do this lifelong

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
What I heard turned out to be right.
Zhang Jike attended a singing show a few days ago and is heading for Denmark for another variety show "The Amazing Race- China". I mentioned this show months ago and ping fun said it was fake news :p

Zhang Jike is supposed to play China Open this month and Australia Open next month.
I heard that he will attend shooting of two variety shows this month too. Well, let's see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
What I heard turned out to be right.
Zhang Jike attended a singing show a few days ago and is heading for Denmark for another variety show "The Amazing Race- China". I mentioned this show months ago and ping fun said it was fake news :p

:p you told : The shooting of the first episode is now scheduled on Jun 2nd. If Zhang Jike attended the shooting, he could not attend WTTC at the same time!

and i said : He is invited by a chinese actress to join this t.v show but as we know zhang jike is eager to play in WTTC ;) the rest is not important rain :p

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
The photos of this trip :
6290da7bly1fgh8e9njnaj20qo0qon28.jpg
6290da7bly1fgh8eagpwmj20qo0qodlr.jpg
6290da7bly1fgh8eazghij20qo0qon2h.jpg
6290da7bly1fgh8ebryozj20qo0qogrf.jpg

And one interesting thing about zjk i read .. i don' know its true or not : In a reality show which was broadcasted newly zhang jike was shown going to hospital due to his back pain and foot injury . the doctor said his bone suture has not closed yet and can get taller near 5 cm . and zhang jike said then I cant play tt if I get taller ... it seems every one was serious :confused:

Last edited: