Who do you think will win the World Championships?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 37.6%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 67 38.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Wong Chun Ting

• Timo Boll

• Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Great article!

Just a quick question. Is there a way to distinguish forced errors/mistakes from unforced errors/mistakes?

That's always something difficult to determine for me. I sometimes have trouble even deciding whether a shot is a winner or a mistake. I'm thinking of including a category in the middle of those two in future articles to consider forced mistakes.

Thanks for the question, I will find a way to make it more precise in the future!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Great question, there is a lot of controversy among the commentators on this in tennis ! Nevertheless the article is awesome , I loved it !

I hope you can keep this going , I hope it remains economically viable , if this kind of analysis is available on matches, it will help greatly learning strategy and understanding the nuances ! I am thinking of watching the whole match again withis the article by my side to understand the going ons better ... not everybody has the real time analytic skill sets of der_echte :)

Great article!

Just a quick question. Is there a way to distinguish forced errors/mistakes from unforced errors/mistakes?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Just in case you missed it, we've recently published the match analysis of both Men's and Women's Singles finals:

https://zoomtt.com/2017/06/11/ma-long-fan-zhendong-the-best-final-ever/

https://zoomtt.com/2017/06/05/ding-ning-zhu-yuling-the-match-for-the-glory/

Hope you like it!

Great job indeed! The stat that amazed me the most is BH flick from ML on receive was 5 times against 75 !! We already knew from the past that ML sets up traps pushing with variation and then counterattack but when FZD is coming so close to win, then probably ML should try to surprise FZD with more BH flicking, the only weapon that he is lacking in the most complete armory in the world right now.

This will also have a downside since, ML is not that good in counterattacking close to the table like FZD is but 5 banana's only is too low in a 4-3 match with 124 points.

I'm quite sure if ML gradually improves in that aspect (maybe reach 20 -30 flicks) he will have another element of surprise against FZD who definitely has adapted in ML jedi mind tricks and smart tactics/traps

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Great article!

Well you have to know the players really well to do that accurately. That's why sometimes forced errors seem unforced, which explains the large amount of "unforced errors" by zoomtt

For example, FZD serves ML banana flicks and FZD hits the ball with the edge of his paddle. To us spectators it will probably seem as unforced but there are so many reasons of why this could happen

1. FZD judged correctly but rushed his shot (unforced error)

2.the same as 1 but this time FZD wanted to make sure the ball stays low with lots of spin, overdoes the shot so it hits the edge = unforced error again

3. ma long changes the spin/tempo/length/arc/placement of his banana at the last fraction before contact fooling FZD = forced error so no 3 could be 5-6 reasons. no3 was always a deceptive way of fooling the opponent ZJK or WH style

Now if you are coach of ML FZD or themselves or the CNT statistics team, you cant possibly know for sure what is the reason of FZD missing a shot, so you cant judge for sure if the error was forced or unforced

Also, decision making through experience plays a huge role, FZD pivoted to use a strong FH many times and got outplayed, so for me this counts as many forced errors, which will evolve into less unforced when FZD handles these balls better, you could see that at game 5 and 6 he was more patient, kept himself into the rally and gradually increased the pressure, instead of killing the ball like he did in the past 3 sets

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Great job indeed! The stat that amazed me the most is BH flick from ML on receive was 5 times against 75 !! We already knew from the past that ML sets up traps pushing with variation and then counterattack but when FZD is coming so close to win, then probably ML should try to surprise FZD with more BH flicking, the only weapon that he is lacking in the most complete armory in the world right now.

This will also have a downside since, ML is not that good in counterattacking close to the table like FZD is but 5 banana's only is too low in a 4-3 match with 124 points.

I'm quite sure if ML gradually improves in that aspect (maybe reach 20 -30 flicks) he will have another element of surprise against FZD who definitely has adapted in ML jedi mind tricks and smart tactics/traps

I saw a video of ML and FZD doing backhands in practice from a secret source. Let's just say that one player missed many BH flicks and the other player made virtually every one. People play to their strengths.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I saw a video of ML and FZD doing backhands in practice from a secret source. Let's just say that one player missed many BH flicks and the other player made virtually every one. People play to their strengths.

indeed that is also a reason. LGL though said something dubious about serving which for me at least applies to every aspect,

always try to surprise ur oppponent with the serve, even if it is somethingg out of ur regular routine and you feel uncomfortable with it, ur opponent will also feel suprised/uncomfortable and most likely play a passive shot or a bad quality one. Now the "most likely" part is the tricky one and that is why most players play it safe, but for me its not the best option since the opponent is FZD who knows you so well. The whole point of this philosophy I believe is that, at least with the serve, the opponent feels surprised first. It seems like a good option for ML since FZD is not yet a variation server, more like a solid one who likes to open the rally

Now ma long already does what LGL says (especially after he stopped choking, back in the choking era he always served underspin-no spin to short FH in critical points at the end of the game and with low toss to secure net height I believe), but mostly with his serve.

At 3-1 up if he has done more bananas , im not saying he would won 4-1, but he would definitely affect FZD mentally and it would be much harder for fan to adapt. On the other hand ML was never a banana flicker and he didnt evolve/build his game around that shot, but he can definitely learn or "steal" some shots from other players that suit his game and now is probably a good time to do it

p.s. ML not being that good in banana is definitely a reason, but why not improve on that aspect,

Last edited:
Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Thanks everybody for the feedback and ideas! It's VERY appreciated! It takes time but the result is satisfying so it's worth it in the end.

I'll probably publish something else after the Japan Open, the line up is terrific! Good matches to come for sure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
And one interesting thing about zjk i read .. i don' know its true or not : In a reality show which was broadcasted newly zhang jike was shown going to hospital due to his back pain and foot injury . the doctor said his bone suture has not closed yet and can get taller near 5 cm . and zhang jike said then I cant play tt if I get taller ... it seems every one was serious :confused:

So is he still playing China Open ???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
@zoomtt

I would personally be ok with it if you had a few non- obstructive ads on your website (like here at TTD). The content is so good that I wouldn't mind it :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I hope I can find somebody wishing to announce on it, but right now I don't have the choice :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Not sure if this the right thread to ask this but I am very curious to know what CNT players do after WTTC in terms of training. Do they take a break from systematic training ? Do they practice in their provinces or some central location. How would ML prepare for a tournament like Japan Open for example ??