Certainly I agree that Russia (particularly Putin) made the decision to invade Ukraine four years ago and it is an unjustifiable act of aggression. The invasion is brutal and fascist and has caused an immense amount of suffering for both Ukrainian and Russian people. I really hope that Ukrainian people and culture and civilization can survive.
Okay, thanks. Let’s establish, then, that this was unprovoked fascist aggression. Just one small clarification: it began in 2014 with Crimea and the Donbas. As someone who witnessed the events firsthand and is a native of the Donbas, this is very important to me.
I think that focusing on the morality of Russia invading Ukraine prevents us from seeing the larger geopolitical picture. Geopolitical dynamics does not have morality. The US is trying to extend its sphere of influence increasingly to the east, and Russia sees this as a threat. Likewise, if Russia started training troops in Mexico and becoming very friendly with the Mexican government, the US would correctly interpret this as a threat, and would invade Mexico. I'm not saying that this is morally correct, just that it is the reality. The US could have prevented this war if they had not tried to extend their influence to Ukraine. Fortunately for the Mexican people, Russia is not so stupid as to try the same thing in Mexico.
What do you mean by the phrase "expanding the sphere of influence"? In economic terms, Russia-US trade volume prior to 2014 was ten times greater than US-Ukraine trade volume. Even in 2026, trade volume with Russia remains higher than with Ukraine. Regarding military exercises, the Russians frequently conducted joint drills with the US (such as *Vigilant Eagle*). As for Ukrainian public sentiment, prior to 2014 (Russia's attack on Ukraine), only 5% of Ukrainians viewed Russia as an enemy (according to an official poll), while 81% held a positive view. Figures regarding Ukrainian attitudes toward the US that same year showed approximately 40% with a positive view and 35% with a negative one. Following the 2014 attack, attitudes toward Russia shifted drastically, whereas attitudes toward the US did not change as significantly (a 2026 poll showed roughly 55% with a positive view of the US and 36% with a negative one; for the sake of accuracy, I should add that 83% of Ukrainians have a favorable view of US citizens, while only 9% have an unfavorable one). Thus, speaking of an expansion of influence is, to say the least, odd. The cause was Russia's invasion of Ukraine; the consequence was an increase in US influence.
The reason the US is expanding its sphere of influence is to extract resources from Europe and turn European countries into its vassal states which export their goods to the US and which do not have their own sovereignty. Tell me with a straight face that there is any country in Western Europe which is not a slave of the United States.
Take any country... Hungary is a good example. Trump openly supported the incumbent, Orbán, yet the Hungarians went ahead and voted for someone else. Isn't that proof of the Hungarian people's freedom?
That is what the US wants for you, too. The US is not helping you fight Russia because they are your friend -- there is no such thing as friends for the US. We are helping you fight Russia because (1) it will weaken Russia and (2) we will demand access to your natural resources when the war is over. The American government does not care about Ukrainian sovereignty.
Most Ukrainians agree with you and fully understand this. I agree with you, too. But Ukraine is currently caught between Scylla and Charybdis. Option 1: accept US aid and eventually hand over the mineral resources (the quantity of which is merely estimated), while preserving lives and the land. Option 2: lose the war to Russia, in which case Russia will take not only the minerals but also the land and millions of Ukrainian lives.
Which of these two bad options would you choose?
The option of reaching an agreement is appealing, but Russia does not honor agreements if there are no consequences for breaking them. Ukraine signed at least four treaties regarding non-aggression and borders, and Russia violated every single one of them.
In the famous words of Henry Kissinger, our greatest diplomat, “To be America's enemy is dangerous, but to be America's ally is fatal”. We betray all of our allies once we can no longer extract resources and geopolitical benefits from them. Don't fall for it.
I agree with you, but let me say it again: Ukraine has no choice.
I wish China would put pressure on Russia to end their war of aggression in Ukraine. I also wish they would pressure Israel to stop its genocide of Palestinians. China is not perfect and I am not claiming that they are -- all I am claiming is that they are far better than both the US and Russia. My understanding is that China is interested purely in maximizing its own economic prosperity and not focusing on international justice. At least China does not start wars because they are smart enough to understand that wars are bad for everyone.
I agree with you again, with one small clarification: China did go to war with Vietnam and lost. That was a long time ago, though, and a lot has changed in China since then. Still, I’m wary of China because they didn't have the kind of power they do now—they simply lacked the capacity to wage war. Their rhetoric regarding Taiwan—whether it leans toward peaceful coexistence or annexation—will be very telling for me.
Yeah, you are right. I was not even born when the eastern bloc fell. My mother grew up in DDR though, so I do hear about it. Perhaps I would have a different opinion if I had lived it. Polling data consistently shows that, for people in the eastern bloc who are old enough to remember communist rule, they prefer it to capitalist rule.
I think that all over the world, older people feel nostalgic for the days when they were young and full of energy, and they project that feeling onto everything else. I find myself having such thoughts, too.