Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 18 505
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 505 18

Fang Bo Backhand Grip

Hi guys! I was just wondering about how fang bo's grip on doing his backhand topspin.
    The he do it is that shakehand players usually have their pointing finger on the rubber, but fang bo has its finger on the handle as if he is holding a gun's trigger.
    What do you think about this? Is this a good innovation on modern table tennis? Is there anyone who has a weird grip on it too? Share your insights mates!

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 18 505
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 505 18

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 103 404
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 404 103

I think here it is more clear. I dont have this a weird grip like this myself. Wonder why he uses this grip.

The Following User Likes Amayzde's Post:

Guybrush123

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 492 1,777
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,777 492

User Info Menu

Look at the concentration in the shots

The Following 3 Users Like mahomedy13's Post:

fais, Guybrush123 and 1 other

Last edited by mahomedy13; 05-26-2015 at 05:55 PM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 492 1,777
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,777 492

User Info Menu

But on a serious note-i haven't seen any other player with a grip like this

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,805 14,219

Super Moderator 14,219 15,805
    It is interesting. I will have to try it. It may be because he has big hands and a FH grip. But it may make the blade face very stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

says , "the older I get, the craftier I become"

Elite TTD Member 1,076 1,303
    says , "the older I get, the craftier I become"

Elite TTD Member 1,303 1,076
    I had a similar type grip. It allows for more wrist rotation and a whippy action. But there's far less control.
    But I do notice that his pointy finger is very flat against the blade face which is good for control.
    Ben Larcombe spoke about this on one of his recent videos.

The Following User Likes Tinykin's Post:

gmiller2233

Last edited by Tinykin; 05-26-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    My table tennis club in Bristol, England
    http://bristol-cssc-tabletennis.weebly.com/

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 13,394 9,085
    N
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 9,085 13,394

User Info Menu

Persson and Karakasevic have different but related grips.

The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

says Focusing on Optimum Mechanics

Advanced TTD Member 131 265
    says Focusing on Optimum Mechanics

Advanced TTD Member 265 131
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Persson and Karakasevic have different but related grips.
    Completely agree with NextLevel. Persson and Karakasevic also use such kind of grip. However, don't you think that keeping the wrist, forearm and shoulder relaxed and holding the bat loose with forefinger and thumb as a support really helps in performing all the strokes?
    Most of the times practice, patience and an observant mind answers all your questions

This user has no status.

N
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KM1976
    Completely agree with NextLevel. Persson and Karakasevic also use such kind of grip. However, don't you think that keeping the wrist, forearm and shoulder relaxed and holding the bat loose with forefinger and thumb as a support really helps in performing all the strokes?
    When you start young, almost no matter what you do, as long as you have high level coaching and talent, you usually end up good and relaxed. How you hold the racket is also a personal thing. But the wrist, forearm and shoulder are relaxed on all effective technique. Using two fingers is just one of many effective relaxed grip techniques. If not, penholders would never be able to play.

Most of what I speak/write about is from the perspective of an adult trying to learn the sport in older age. Adults think too much and focus on hitting the ball on the table rather than developing good strokes so they don't relax and let their bodies naturally learn and perform. So sometimes, you have to give them shortcuts to force them to do what you want. Using two fingers to grip the paddle is one way.

The Following 6 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

phamster, Rayeez and 4 others

Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

When you start young, almost no matter what you do, as long as you have high level coaching and talent, you usually end up good and relaxed. How you hold the racket is also a personal thing. But the wrist, forearm and shoulder are relaxed on all effective technique. Using two fingers is just one of many effective relaxed grip techniques. If not, penholders would never be able to play.

Most of what I speak/write about is from the perspective of an adult trying to learn the sport in older age. Adults think too much and focus on hitting the ball on the table rather than developing good strokes so they don't relax and let their bodies naturally learn and perform. So sometimes, you have to give them shortcuts to force them to do what you want. Using two fingers to grip the paddle is one way.
    Alright guy, you should be pounding the LIKE button on NextLevel's post because this is a great freakin' post.

The Following 3 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

Guybrush123, NextLevel and 1 other

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 97 912
    T
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 912 97
    As usual, grip issue.

I play with very difficult or weird grip, and the more i play in that club, the more opponents trying to be coaches on me, in fact yesterday i was there and i felt like i am the only beginner there and all are became coaches, i decided either to stop going there to not be embarrassed, or to have training with a coach which is not possible at the moment.

When i saw this thread and saw his grip, i feel it is about how i can relax with any grip i can use if i can play well even if i lose, i may try his grip, it may solve my weird grip, i was thinking to change to penhold style, but it will be like i will start over again.

This user has no status.

N
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    Alright guy, you should be pounding the LIKE button on NextLevel's post because this is a great freakin' post.
    Talking to Brett a lot tends to rub off on you (me)...

UpSideDownCarl

Talking to Brett a lot tends to rub off on you (me)...
    Yep. You presented some really good info and Brett Clarke has top quality info.

But that was a really insightful statement.

More of you guys should hit the like button for NextLevel's post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

N
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by judah000
    Hi guys! I was just wondering about how fang bo's grip on doing his backhand topspin.
    The he do it is that shakehand players usually have their pointing finger on the rubber, but fang bo has its finger on the handle as if he is holding a gun's trigger.
    What do you think about this? Is this a good innovation on modern table tennis? Is there anyone who has a weird grip on it too? Share your insights mates!
    After looking at this closely, I think this is Fang Bo's grip period. I don't think he switches as much as other players between FH and BH.

After looking at this closely, I think this is Fang Bo's grip period. I don't think he switches as much as other players between FH and BH.
    Well, if you look at the grip, it is kind of a forehand grip. It is turned for the forehand. But he has turned his wrist for hitting the backhand. So, it would make sense that he doesn't change the grip much for hitting the forehand. The interesting thing is that he can hit the backhand well with that grip. But he is definitely a forehand dominant player. And one of the reasons he has trouble staying at the highest levels is that he wants to turn to his forehand so much that he often is doing that from a bad position that higher level players can capitalize on. And he often gives up easy points as a result.
    Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 01-02-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

N
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    Well, if you look at the grip, it is kind of a forehand grip. It is turned for the forehand. But he has turned his wrist for hitting the backhand. So, it would make sense that he doesn't change the grip much for hitting the forehand. The interesting thing is that he can hit the backhand well with that grip. But he is definitely a forehand dominant player. And one of the reasons he has trouble staying at the highest levels is that he wants to turn to his forehand so much that he often is doing that from a bad position that higher level players can capitalize on. And he often gives up easy points as a result.
    Its actually far more neutral than you might think. I switched to something very similar recently. We can discuss later today.

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 181 378
    V
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 378 181

User Info Menu

Stellan Bengtsson used a similar grip ( in 1972 )

Name:  220px-Stellan_Bengtsson.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  12.0 KB

The Following User Likes violoniste18's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

Last edited by violoniste18; 01-02-2016 at 09:01 PM.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 36 137
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 137 36
    Thats very true Carl!

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 36 137
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 137 36
    Not on this picture though...
    Last edited by Guybrush123; 01-02-2016 at 11:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast