Current state of Xu Xin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok, I understand. But still I dont get how a rubber can fix the problem if the ball doesn't slip on the rubber.
What I remember someone said was to get a rubber that gives the ball more arc (which is not necessarily the same as more spin, per se) so that he has more time to cycle. Whether this is valid or not, that was my interpretation of what was said.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Ok, I understand. But still I dont get how a rubber can fix the problem if the ball doesn't slip on the rubber.

lets say 40mm ball produces 100 rotation and 40 + produces 95 with the same rubber. If companies manage to produce rubbers with better grip or if the balls are much harder than before then maybe we can have same spin with the 40 mm ball. All of the other factors are the same, same tangential and vertical speed.

So whatever the equipment or the stroke the smaller ball will always be spinnier/faster if no other factor has changed

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Great points guys, could the plastic ball also have an effect? Check out Xu Xin here in the 2013 World Tour Grand Final where he defeated Ma Long 4-3. His forehand looked a lot stronger and more effective. He also used his backhand aggressively close to the table.

I think there is some truth behind this. Not only Dima was complaining bout that crappy DHS balls.

I think it CAN make a BIG difference especially for someone who's game is depending a lot on his spin.

If they start using the NP40+ or the G40+ things might change again...

Nittaku dominated the balls in the cell ball era after a while. So let's hope this might happen again...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yep. Small ball=more spin.

Go grab a 38mm ball and you will have no doubt.

I hit with an old 38mm Nittaku 3 star a few months ago and was astounded at the difference. But I also realized that I actually like the bigger ball better. And I kind of like the seamless poly balls better than celluloid balls.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
In rotational physics, when dealing with angular momentum, the field synonymous to mass is inertia. Similar to how mass inhibits an object from going faster (if a bike hits a truck, the truck doesn't budge), inertia inhibits an object from spinning faster. The inertia of a hollow sphere is proportional to the mass of the sphere times the squared of the radius. This means as the sphere gets bigger (38 mm to 40+ mm), the inertia of the object increases by a factor of (40/38)^2, not merely 40/38. As such, the differences in the spin drop will be more noticeable to experiences players.

Reactions: SquareBall
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I still prefer the 38mm.

It's just amazing when your opponent's block hit the ceiling from the amount of spin you put on the ball. Especially with those 'new' type o' rubbaz.

But that might jus be me...

;)

You know, I just couldn't handle how fast it was with how fast today's equipment is.

I had an aha moment and realized that with newer equipment that is so fast and spinny I could not handle it and why pros from the 38mm ball period were able to use setups that by today's standard would be All rated equipment. I'd get used to it. From the standpoint of durability, consistency and feel, they are better. But I am used resetting for something way slower.

And because it is spinning so much and going so fast, there wasn't as much arc on the ball. It was pretty fun to mess around with it.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Suga D
In rotational physics, when dealing with angular momentum, the field synonymous to mass is inertia. Similar to how mass inhibits an object from going faster (if a bike hits a truck, the truck doesn't budge), inertia inhibits an object from spinning faster. The inertia of a hollow sphere is proportional to the mass of the sphere times the squared of the radius. This means as the sphere gets bigger (38 mm to 40+ mm), the inertia of the object increases by a factor of (40/38)^2, not merely 40/38. As such, the differences in the spin drop will be more noticeable to experiences players.
True information in your post. Easy to understand and informative, I had completely forgot inertia although I had been taught in school. Thanks Fais !