Control and weight distribution?

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
As a general rule of thumb, is there a preference as to how weight is distributed on the blade if you're a relatively novice player looking to maximise control of your strokes? I'm currently playing with a donic appelgren all play V1 blade. With the rubbers attached it weighs in at about 163g so isn't by any means a heavy set-up. However, everyone that's held my blade always comments on how heavy it is. All I can think of is that they're being "tricked" into thinking it's heavy because of the fact that it's one of the senso blades that has the hollowed out handle therefore shifting the weight of the blade towards the head of the racket. Is that where I want the weight to be or should I be looking for a blade with different weight distribution? Thanks

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
For me personally, I tend to have better control when the setup is less top-heavy. This makes it easier for me to react to fast balls, use my wrist and really swing through.

On the other hand, I find blocking topspins and redirecting the ball easier with a more topheavy setup.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: StuartMarquis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
For me top heavy blades make it easier to attack with more power, but a slower recovery. less head heavy blades give me more control on all other strokes then smash and loop. I guess for a beginner it's best to choose something in the middle.

Reactions: StuartMarquis
says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
says Hi there Tompa8888, Thank you for asking my opinion. It...
Mar 2015
Read 37 reviews
I loved my WSC with 2 Joola Maxxx 500, but it was too heavy and made hard to execute clean topspins, because the head fell lower, so I looped some sidespin all the time. Backhand was awsome. I prefer nearly head heavy blades, like those that alc and zlc blades with attacking rubbers like T05 and M1. So the mass center of the blade is above the handle cca 2 cms. It helps to swing for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
My blade is near 200grams, extremely head heavy. Everyone who touches it is immediately turned away. I've gotten used to it, shortened my strokes a ton when I'm close to the table. Just do you, if you like what you're playing with thing's will work out

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Im slowly starting to see the light that Der have been trying to spread for a long time.
A blade with good balance but heavy overall weight is both controllable and deadly at the same time.

= Do not be afraid of a heavy blade.

But heavy racket makes wristy BH shots more difficult to execute, doesn't it?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I don't think it makes "wristy" backhand's difficult. If anything it makes them more stable. A headheavy blade is difficult to play close to the table with.

Makes my hand painful as well after a long session. The fact that the head drags the whole paddle down requires me to put more effort into each shot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
a light blade enables a faster recovery and your muscles will take longer to become tired. With a lighter blade you can get to the ball faster. But a lighter blade is harder to control...it's harder to feel what your doing cause it's so light. A heavier blade gives easy power.