Biggest Downfall of the Plastic Ball

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi guys. As you all know the plastic ball has been around for just over 2 years now (officially) and most of us are starting to get used to it, but there are still some attributes about the ball which we all find frustrating. What is the one thing about the ball that you think is the worst?

Mine is the surface composition performance in humid conditions which I wrote about recently here:
http://www.mhtabletennis.com/2016/10/humidity-ultimate-pitfall-of-plastic.html

So tell us what you think, you can also talk about what you like about the new ball too if you want (I don't want to create a thread which is tooooo negative :D )

balls.jpg

Reactions: dirtyD
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
They are too expensive. Other than that i don't mind them.

+1

Agreed.

I'm kinda over talking about what's bad about them. Feel like it's getting to be old news. It didn't really need to happen but they made the switch. It's done & over with. I don't really see the point in complaining about them now.

Just my 2 cents.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I want agreement on a single standard. Ideally it would be based on current Nittaku Premium, or (next best) based on various seamless balls. The Chinese seamed balls are still bad, and while they made some progress, I think whatever approach they are using should be abandoned. It just isn't resulting in very playable balls.

In other words, there should be more uniformity from one brand to another. I am quite happy to play with either the Nittaku Premium or the various seamless balls. No complaints from me on either. I very much enjoy playing with either one, as much as ever.

Of course price is an issue to, it would be good if it was lower, but that may be a feature, not a bug, of the change IMHO. The major rule changes on equipment since 2000 all led to increased equipment costs not long afterword.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Differences between brands and types of 40+ ball are, in my opinion, a big problem.

With the celluloid 40mm balls, if you trained with a Nittaku 3 star, or even a Nittaku 2 star and showed up to a tournament that was using a DHS 3 star, you did not need to do anything but 2 or 3 hits to get used to the ball. With these Poly balls, each are so different from any of the others, that it is really like you have to adjust to a new ball every time you change what kind of ball you are using.

Also, why, after so long, are there still no orange (or is it yellow) plastic balls?

What is good about them? The Nittaku Premium and the Seamless ones last quite well.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Differences between brands and types of 40+ ball are, in my opinion, a big problem.

With the celluloid 40mm balls, if you trained with a Nittaku 3 star, or even a Nittaku 2 star and showed up to a tournament that was using a DHS 3 star, you did not need to do anything but 2 or 3 hits to get used to the ball. With these Poly balls, each are so different from any of the others, that it is really like you have to adjust to a new ball every time you change what kind of ball you are using.

Also, why, after so long, are there still no orange (or is it yellow) plastic balls?

What is good about them? The Nittaku Premium and the Seamless ones last quite well.

This. Human develops muscle memory after doing the same thing repetitively after all. Having practice with the same balls for 3 months and then required to adjust to a different ball for a competition is frustrating.

Not to mention that I'm having competitions soon that use chinese seamed balls while I use chinese seamless balls and Nittaku Premium most of the time

This user has no status.
As much as I hate to say, the new ball will likely be the death of penhold. The heavier ball requires greater conditioning to perform at the same level as shake hand. Plus, the added spin advantage has diminished enough for next generation of coaches (i suspect) to argue too much effort for too little gains.

This user has no status.
When I started to play in the year 1998 we used de celluloid ball and so until year 2002 when I stopped playing, In 2015 I returned to the tables and only then I realized the ITTF had changed the ball by a plastic one. At the club where I play we use celluloid balls in multiball excercises, but when we play matches we use plastic balls.
I think there are two worst things on the plastic balls, one is the price and the other is they are too fragile, you hit it with the edge of your racket and the ball is dead.
Thanks for reading.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What does the plastic ball actually change when playing? I think it makes the ball heavier and cannot go as fast??

A little heavier and larger diameter. This makes them fly slower and spin a little less and sink a little faster. Chinese seamed balls bounce lower and strangely. Seamless balls bounce higher but cleanly and predictably. They definitely seem the slowest ovetall but they are, like I said, predictable. So they are not at all bad. Nittaku Premium bounce about like celluloid. They are actually closest in every way to celluloid. Also most expensive. They have small seams and are the lightest plastic balls and probably smallest diameter.

Chinese seamed balls are fragile and rarely round. Seamless balls are indestructible unless you hit hard on the edge of your paddle. Then they shatter, but their average lifetime is long (better than celluloid). Nittaku Premium lasts about same or a little longer than their celluloid.

Butterfly G40+ are a category of their own. Super fast and very straight compared to others with strange sound. Tend to slide on the table when they get worn, which happens fast.

As Carl said, the differences between classes of plastic balls are large. We never had anything like this in cellulold days unless one goes back quite far in time to weird outliers like Halex balls. Not too many people here would be steeped in the lore enough to remember those attrocities.

Let's say you train with seamless balls and then go to a tournament with Butterfly G40+. You will not play well. You would want to train several days to be prepared for that! Same if they use DHS.

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Lots of good reading in the posts. Has anyone experienced a dull ache in the arm when playing backhands with the plastic ball? I'm not sure if its the weight effect of the new ball but I notice players I coach and myself get a build up in tension in the arm which causes a strong ache which forces you to stop for a minute or so. This has led to bicep tendinitis for me :) Could the plastic ball be causing this? When using a celluloid ball I never noticed this as the ball was a lot more alive, spingier and less effort was needed.

NDH

says Spin to win!
To start off with, I'll echo the sentiments of the others.

My main gripe is the HUGE differences in playing characteristics between the balls - I play in 4 different leagues in the UK (there's around 8-10 teams in each League), and pretty much every individual team uses a different ball.

There is no "league standard" unfortunately, so it is up to each team to purchase balls - Like others, I'd favour the Nittaku Premium over anything else.

Dan - Regarding "arm ache", I know what you mean - Although I put this down to having to do that little bit more with the ball (on every stroke) - After a while, it all adds up!

This user has no status.
To start off with, I'll echo the sentiments of the others.

My main gripe is the HUGE differences in playing characteristics between the balls - I play in 4 different leagues in the UK (there's around 8-10 teams in each League), and pretty much every individual team uses a different ball.

There is no "league standard" unfortunately, so it is up to each team to purchase balls - Like others, I'd favour the Nittaku Premium over anything else.

Dan - Regarding "arm ache", I know what you mean - Although I put this down to having to do that little bit more with the ball (on every stroke) - After a while, it all adds up!

Couldn't agree more. I play in British League and Grand Prix tournaments as well as my local league/tournaments and the variation between the balls that are used is ridiculous. This wouldn't be a problem if all the balls played the same, but they really, really don't. They even sound different! Not only this, but within each box of 6 balls, 1 or 2 will be what I consider an "egg". And these are just unplayable. The ones that are not "eggs" will have a lifespan of 10 minutes as all it takes is one "tin" (ball hits side/edge of the racket) and before you know it, it looks like its been snowing plastic! And the humidity is a whole other problem in itself...

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Can anyone recommend any good training balls?

We currently use Xushofa training balls and to be honest they are not great...

You might want to try Gambler seamless 3 star ball. It's roughly a dollar a ball and plays great IMO. Hard to tell the difference between that and the XSF ball IMO.

Our club uses it as our main tournament ball since it's relatively affordable and it's a 3 star. I like the ball a lot. Try it out.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
great question, I would like to know also. I play nittaku premium and use old balls to practice, but they pop easy when I hit against my wall. It adds up quick at $3 a ball

What are you doing where you are hitting with power against a wall?