Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
It depends on what aspects you want to emulate.

Do you just want to emulate playstyle? That might be a little difficult, given the lack of lefty penhold players.

I am also lefty handed penhold, but the playstyle I want to emulate is Ma Long's.

If it's only certain parts of a game, like some technique, then you don't necessarily have to pick a lefty penhold. The only other lefty penhold that comes to my mind is He Zhiwen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
no,no,no.. you dont have to follow any player technique or any style, just be yourself .thats the key, to be so individual, with own playstyle. you can follow some basic techniq or elements, but for success you have to follow your individual.
because everyone is so individual, like body movements, mental strength, etc...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Fcvyy,

Trust me there's no worry about me playing my own style. I've done that & will always have my own style.

But players you root for, pick up tips from their game. Things they like to do. I think that all is helpful. Shoot my go-to point that i've used countless of times is purely lifted off He ZhiWen with the wide side spinning serve following by a block down the line when they loop it. That's just one of many examples I can think of where it helps to pick up tips form the best in the world. Don't have to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to you know?

Xu Xin is in the decline so I guess i'm just curious if there are any other young pros to follow. I know it's a pretty limited group. Lefties & playing penhold.

David, Thanks for the info.

I guess for me, while I like to watch Ma Long, I have a hard time drawing comparisons technique wise. I think there's even a difference in how lefties have to play service receive game compared to righties. Another reason why I was asking if anybody knew of some newer left-handed players.

I'll have to keep digging and see if I can come up with anybody.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
and here we go again...
so, heres another problem for me . im currently using hh3, which i kinda like(or not), its so fast for me i guess. im looking for a pure wood again. is there any good blades ~50$ or they r cheap not worthing attention and better to buy some quality stuff.
halp
price does not mean quality in tt. price indicates research and expensive materials. So your top Butterfly blades with use more expensive woods and highly researched carbon. Generally, more offensive blades are more expensive, because they use harder woods. Harder woods: rosewood, koto, walnut, ebony, etc, generally come from exotic climates are are more scarce, so they cost more. Ayous is a very common African wood, and used in nearly all commercial blades. It is very cheap, but grows in a way that different cuts of the wood give different hardness. So it's ideal for making tt blades. I have a 20 dollar chinese made, all Ayous five ply blade, and my coach likes it more than his Butterfly ALC blade...I've heard that in china, although they are the fore front of offensive play, they do not give offensive blades to developing players. And I completely agree. With a slower blade, it not only increases your chances of controlling and spinning the ball, it also increases your feel on the ball and forces you to put more effort into your offensive strokes. at whatever level you play at, you should be putting a hell of a lot of effort into all of your offensive strokes. If I was using an offensive blade, I would win 100% of all the 3rd ball attacks I landed. with my ALL+ blade, I win 85% of my 3rd ball attacks I land, but am successful a hell of a lot more. There are a lot of teenagers at my club that use fancy offensive carbon blades and then do somewhat lazy strokes with a lot of effect. of course, nothing will feel better than hitting the perfect shot with your HH3. but how many of those shots do you hit? probably not enough to make the blade worthwhile; if you think you blade is too fast, it's definitely too fast. If you think your blade is too slow, you may want to start hitting the ball harder and reconsider. My view is: start with a Allround or all+ blade. once you are demolishing all those around you or really really understand that your consistency is on point, but you need more speed, move up to off-. As a penholder, you will find that a lot of offensive blades and off+ are unsuitable. This is mostly because of their weight: penhold, mostly rpb, puts far more strain on the wrist than SH. but remember that as a penholder, your feel, control and spin are your greatest assets. I would not be surprised if I never move beyond Off- in speed category, because my consistency and speed are far more important.

There are lots of great PH blades that I think would suit you well. I would only go for blades 85 grams or lighter. this cuts down your options a lot! from my research I have found that the hurricane hao 1, stiga OC, Avalox BT-550, Xiom Fuga, and nittaku septear all fit this bill very nicely. I've settled on my BT for now, and yes, it is slower than my last blade, and sometimes you end up with rallies, but its a ****ing spin machine!! and the flex and feel is so enjoyable, you'll enjoy every loop that much more. if you desperately want something more offensive (which i never reccommend), the hurricane hao 2, Ma lin EO, stiga intensity, stiga infinity and nittaku violin are all high end rpb blades. my coach has an infinity and it's awesome, and I had a chance using a violin (although it was SH) and that blade is simply beautiful. so much speed but the most feeling i've ever had with a blade. but they are expensive and it's hard to find ones that are under 85 grams. it's important to remember that as SH is so much more popular than PH, brands very rarely make blades specifically with PH in mind. obviously the Ma Lin and Wang hao models are exceptions, as are Jpen blades, but mostly a blade that works for PH will invariably work SH. a blade that works for SH will in most cases be unsuitable for PH. so don't be deceived by the fact that a lot a big brands make their blades with a PH handle. it doesnt mean it was designed to be played that way...

IMO XX is barely in decline. its well documented how getting married can be of detriment to playing ability. I honestly think that with Ma Lin as his coach, XX will develop a lot more. So whilst he is older than the bulk of the really hot young chinese players, the fact that he has such obvious weaknesses yet still manages to be top the CSL means he really can still be the best in the world. Currently, he has the best FH loop, best serve and best footwork in the world. in any other decade he'd be the best, but TT has become more diverse: blocking, and especially BH attack are increasingly more important in the meta. everyone knows XX's rpb is weak. but I'm really hoping this will be his year. I'm quite confident he will play in Tokyo. Maybe not in the singles, as a lefty penholder, hes almost certainly got a place on the team.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
The way I observed XX lately is that he kinda set his power back a bit but he's got a little quicker. But yeah, still don't like his RPB though. IMO the way XX play, I think he's better of with JPen blades. He's the only CPen player I know that loves to play mid-far from the table and doesn't usually go for the 3rd ball kill. Also with weak RPB and loves to lob with his TPB, pretty much most of Jpen players.

I guess the reason why he's still top class is his foot work and his area of coverage, thanks to his huge frame and long reach. But he's getting older now and as his weakness being already exploited by many players and his body on decline, maybe he won't make it to 2020.

I wish a new star PH-er will appear somewhere. I used to have high hopes with WCT but he too is slowly fading. I envy his RPB though, the best in today's game.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The way I observed XX lately is that he kinda set his power back a bit but he's got a little quicker. But yeah, still don't like his RPB though. IMO the way XX play, I think he's better of with JPen blades. He's the only CPen player I know that loves to play mid-far from the table and doesn't usually go for the 3rd ball kill. Also with weak RPB and loves to lob with his TPB, pretty much most of Jpen players.

I guess the reason why he's still top class is his foot work and his area of coverage, thanks to his huge frame and long reach. But he's getting older now and as his weakness being already exploited by many players and his body on decline, maybe he won't make it to 2020.

I wish a new star PH-er will appear somewhere. I used to have high hopes with WCT but he too is slowly fading. I envy his RPB though, the best in today's game.
Xue Fei is 2 years younger than FZD. His RPB is as strong as WH. He only appeared once in singles in the 2016 China super league. You can look up his match on YouTube.

LGL did mention Xue Fei carries the hope for future penhold style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Wow this kid is the future! I've his his match against FZD, he's RPB has loads of spin. The ball flew out of FZB bat many times. But he's RPB is kinda slow to recover compared to WCT. But he's still young prob 18/19 yo. Still lot more time to improve. I'm excited to see this kid in the future.

I love how China still tries to maintain penholders in the line-up. I wish Japan and Korea would do the same, at least honor the style that's named after your country.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
price does not mean quality in tt. price indicates research and expensive materials. So your top Butterfly blades with use more expensive woods and highly researched carbon. Generally, more offensive blades are more expensive, because they use harder woods. Harder woods: rosewood, koto, walnut, ebony, etc, generally come from exotic climates are are more scarce, so they cost more. Ayous is a very common African wood, and used in nearly all commercial blades. It is very cheap, but grows in a way that different cuts of the wood give different hardness. So it's ideal for making tt blades. I have a 20 dollar chinese made, all Ayous five ply blade, and my coach likes it more than his Butterfly ALC blade...I've heard that in china, although they are the fore front of offensive play, they do not give offensive blades to developing players. And I completely agree. With a slower blade, it not only increases your chances of controlling and spinning the ball, it also increases your feel on the ball and forces you to put more effort into your offensive strokes. at whatever level you play at, you should be putting a hell of a lot of effort into all of your offensive strokes. If I was using an offensive blade, I would win 100% of all the 3rd ball attacks I landed. with my ALL+ blade, I win 85% of my 3rd ball attacks I land, but am successful a hell of a lot more. There are a lot of teenagers at my club that use fancy offensive carbon blades and then do somewhat lazy strokes with a lot of effect. of course, nothing will feel better than hitting the perfect shot with your HH3. but how many of those shots do you hit? probably not enough to make the blade worthwhile; if you think you blade is too fast, it's definitely too fast. If you think your blade is too slow, you may want to start hitting the ball harder and reconsider. My view is: start with a Allround or all+ blade. once you are demolishing all those around you or really really understand that your consistency is on point, but you need more speed, move up to off-. As a penholder, you will find that a lot of offensive blades and off+ are unsuitable. This is mostly because of their weight: penhold, mostly rpb, puts far more strain on the wrist than SH. but remember that as a penholder, your feel, control and spin are your greatest assets. I would not be surprised if I never move beyond Off- in speed category, because my consistency and speed are far more important.

There are lots of great PH blades that I think would suit you well. I would only go for blades 85 grams or lighter. this cuts down your options a lot! from my research I have found that the hurricane hao 1, stiga OC, Avalox BT-550, Xiom Fuga, and nittaku septear all fit this bill very nicely. I've settled on my BT for now, and yes, it is slower than my last blade, and sometimes you end up with rallies, but its a ****ing spin machine!! and the flex and feel is so enjoyable, you'll enjoy every loop that much more. if you desperately want something more offensive (which i never reccommend), the hurricane hao 2, Ma lin EO, stiga intensity, stiga infinity and nittaku violin are all high end rpb blades. my coach has an infinity and it's awesome, and I had a chance using a violin (although it was SH) and that blade is simply beautiful. so much speed but the most feeling i've ever had with a blade. but they are expensive and it's hard to find ones that are under 85 grams. it's important to remember that as SH is so much more popular than PH, brands very rarely make blades specifically with PH in mind. obviously the Ma Lin and Wang hao models are exceptions, as are Jpen blades, but mostly a blade that works for PH will invariably work SH. a blade that works for SH will in most cases be unsuitable for PH. so don't be deceived by the fact that a lot a big brands make their blades with a PH handle. it doesnt mean it was designed to be played that way...
/ agreed)
yeah i should really start with a slow blade and develope my technique.maybe i should try a stiga offensive wood nct, seems light n slow?
i simple dont like a one thing in my hh3, thats carbon i guess, i dont understand how it works yet. it seems very reactive to incoming spin/speed,not a stable for me yet.. it accelerate/throw out the ball from a blade.. i dont know how to explain that, hope you get what i mean.
thanks for advices anyway!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Wow this kid is the future! I've his his match against FZD, he's RPB has loads of spin. The ball flew out of FZB bat many times. But he's RPB is kinda slow to recover compared to WCT. But he's still young prob 18/19 yo. Still lot more time to improve. I'm excited to see this kid in the future.

I love how China still tries to maintain penholders in the line-up. I wish Japan and Korea would do the same, at least honor the style that's named after your country.
The China super league makes sure each club has at least one penholder to be qualified. That's the rule.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
/ agreed)
yeah i should really start with a slow blade and develope my technique.maybe i should try a stiga offensive wood nct, seems light n slow?
i simple dont like a one thing in my hh3, thats carbon i guess, i dont understand how it works yet. it seems very reactive to incoming spin/speed,not a stable for me yet.. it accelerate/throw out the ball from a blade.. i dont know how to explain that, hope you get what i mean.
thanks for advices anyway!
I just bought Yinhe Z5 VF. Very interesting design. A think hinoki(0.9mm) layer on top of the volcanic carbon layer. Therefore it's very soft close to table. Carbon kicks in when power looping.

A lot of good review on Chinese website.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
For the record, for the longest time, i've avoided playing the modern PH style ... mostly because my wrist couldn't handle the weight of 2 inverted. I've found my wrist could handle a new racket (new for me, but blade is actually old and used and received as a prize in NextLevel's Christmas contest) with 2 inverted sheets... American Hinoki CPen ... blade is noticeably smaller than other CPen's i've used.

Messing around with modern PH style now.

Last weekend, a friend gave me his old beatup Butterfly Taksim. Last year, I've tried his newer Taksim and couldn't get used to it ... fast forward to last weekend, tried it again and i was making my shots and getting used to it. He gave me his old Taksim as it was beat up. May use it as my 2nd backup blade.

Will take pix and post tonight or tomorrow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
For the record, for the longest time, i've avoided playing the modern PH style ... mostly because my wrist couldn't handle the weight of 2 inverted. I've found my wrist could handle a new racket (new for me, but blade is actually old and used and received as a prize in NextLevel's Christmas contest) with 2 inverted sheets... American Hinoki CPen ... blade is noticeably smaller than other CPen's i've used.

Messing around with modern PH style now.

Last weekend, a friend gave me his old beatup Butterfly Taksim. Last year, I've tried his newer Taksim and couldn't get used to it ... fast forward to last weekend, tried it again and i was making my shots and getting used to it. He gave me his old Taksim as it was beat up. May use it as my 2nd backup blade.

Will take pix and post tonight or tomorrow.
RPB is pretty tough on your wrist if the weight of the setup is heavy. Do regular wrist exercise with dumbbells if you can.

There's a fairly decent game where Xue Fui beats waldner, rather controversially. I really hope in a few years he's on the first team but obviously, don't hold too high hopes.

I have to do stretches all through the day. Luckily, I'm playing 6 days a week so my wrist is strengthening but i have to stretch like 6+ times a day. I saw a video by a physiotherapist, saying most importantly, when stretching tendons in the hand and forearm, it's important to hold the stretch at least 30 seconds. Gentle, longer stretches are far more beneficial. And a light racket. What are your racket weights? I cut down from 170 to 165 and it's made a big difference. Hopefully when I'm stronger i can get a heavier bh rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
There's a fairly decent game where Xue Fui beats waldner, rather controversially. I really hope in a few years he's on the first team but obviously, don't hold too high hopes.

I have to do stretches all through the day. Luckily, I'm playing 6 days a week so my wrist is strengthening but i have to stretch like 6+ times a day. I saw a video by a physiotherapist, saying most importantly, when stretching tendons in the hand and forearm, it's important to hold the stretch at least 30 seconds. Gentle, longer stretches are far more beneficial. And a light racket. What are your racket weights? I cut down from 170 to 165 and it's made a big difference. Hopefully when I'm stronger i can get a heavier bh rubber.
Mine weighs about 170g. I love Hurricane 3 so i have to get used to the weight. I can't find any blade lighter than 80g.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hi there

For cpen holders there, any idea about any modification to the handle grip that can support the index finger, something like jpen?

Oh i've got your back on this one. It's not a modification bur rather a blade switch. This might interest you... And probably would work out better than trying to modify an existing blade.

If I was ever to switch blades & was looking for a cpen/jpen like setup, there is no doubt in my mind I would go with the Nittaku SOU.

NittakuSOU.jpg

Cpen here:
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-sou-mf-r-pen

Jpen here:
http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/nittaku-sou-mf-p-pen

Take your pick.

Furthermore, I've had a couple and Nittaku makes excellent blades.