My setup weighs 205g

This user has no status.
I'm thinking of changing blades because the Hurricane Long 5 has a terrible handle, it's too thin and makes the head of the racket super heavy. Currently Im using the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange on FH (heaviest rubber I've ever used GEEZ), and Hurricane 2 Neo on BH. I'm thinking of getting the W968 (national version of Hurricane Long 5) which has a much thicker handle which will make the head less heavy and be more balanced in weight between the handle and head, which I also believe will improve my reset speed and increase my acceleration speed on strokes. (I'm definitely gonna stop using the Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange after it dies and go back to Hurricane 3 Neo boosted). I'm also very open to trying other tacky Chinese rubbers which are light weight and similar power as Hurricane 3 Neo boosted.

Any thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Carl is right in a way, its not the absolute weight but the balance that matters ... if the weight is too far up sometimes it becomes harder to reset and generate enough acceleration ..
105 grams is too light. Just add weight to the handle. Get that weight up to 220.

Where is Der_Echte when someone needs info on how to make the handle heavier!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Carl is right in a way, its not the absolute weight but the balance that matters ... if the weight is too far up sometimes it becomes harder to reset and generate enough acceleration ..

Yeah, the ML5's handle is a pain for balance. One option is to send it to a custom blade maker and have the handle replaced with a larger/heavier one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
First check out what Carl referred to , there are threads here where how to modify a handle is shown in detail. I thikn its called "Building the beast" or something ... I agree with your overall assessment , HL5 older version is good for mid distance play .. if you have two heavy rubbers like Tenergy 05 on either side and try to do off the bounce loop drives on backhand using wrist as the main pivot its very very tough ... thats why I switched to Viscaria

Yeah, the ML5's handle is a pain for balance. One option is to send it to a custom blade maker and have the handle replaced with a larger/heavier one.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Of course one can search and dig up the old Beast Mod threads, sift through Dracula's native Soil, evade and entrap the Goon Squad, then find your Beast Mod instructions.

We talk about how to do the Beast Mod so often it is almost a broken record that pretty much any LURKER of the forum could tell you how to do it better than me.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
With the right kinda of wrap (use trial and error to get THERE) you can really make the handle a responsive LEVER that will give you another 10% spin and control on topspin with the right pressure of the fingers using the leverage on the handle how it is shaped by your overgrip wrap.

Sergey, the one who I really want to join TTD and comment on threads (He just got 2150+ from LA Open rating) has a handle wrap like this. I looked at his bat told him instantly that IF I looped with his bat, he would have a tougher time keeping my loops on the table... it was true, my spin was fiercer with his bat and handle shape by the tape.

By the way, the ratings of the LA Open came out and I really sucked. NOT. It was prolly the best tourney performance I ever had... even if I only got 2nd place and even if I won events before.