Table tennis need statistics !

says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
For TT, I'm sure many guys want to get a statistics after the match like basketball, football, tennis and so on, but now it is an extravagant hope for all TT fans because there hadn't been any statistics for a TT match. What a pity !

I often watch tennis, and I like tennis match statistics very much. If I missed watching a match my first choice is to get the match statistics, then I will know the detailed resultes and also I can image how was the match and how is my favorite player playing.

Here is a tennis match statistics (Roger Federer vs Ivan Dodig in BNP PARIBAS OPEN 2013, INDIAN WELLS :)), think TT could learn something from this.

stats 2.jpg

In my opinion, TT statistics could including:

Match time

Serve winners (direct got score after serve)

Serve PTS won %

Return PTS won %

First three strokes PTS won %

Rally PTS won %

Unforced errors

Edge ball / Net Ball

Total points Won

=====================

Guys, what's your opinion ?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow, weird you have just posted about this Tommy. At the weekend I was coaching a youngster, and I told her dad to take down some statistics. The girl often played to many unforced shots and over hitting the ball. So I said take down some stats and she can see where her game is going wrong. That made me think we need this in elite table tennis.

Awesome idea, I wonder if this is not in place already due to more work needed? I wonder if in tennis these stats are automatically made by a computer?

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah, I mentioned about the statistic thing on the other thread about "why table tennis isn't popular".
It is even better if we can have a machine to measure the rotation/spin/speed of the ball.

Measuring ball spin/speed would be amazing, is technology capable in doing this?

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
And we also need simple statistic such as "HEAD TO HEAD" matchup.
Example... Ma Long vs Zhang Jike head to head wins/loses.

The IITF has this already :) There is a head to head section on the ITTF site somewhere ill post link when i'm on my laptop later Desmondfun :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 2012
Wow, weird you have just posted about this Tommy. At the weekend I was coaching a youngster, and I told her dad to take down some statistics. The girl often played to many unforced shots and over hitting the ball. So I said take down some stats and she can see where her game is going wrong. That made me think we need this in elite table tennis.

Awesome idea, I wonder if this is not in place already due to more work needed? I wonder if in tennis these stats are automatically made by a computer?

I think some tennis stats are automatically made by computer, but some can't. Like unforced errors, seems the computer can't recognize it is a unforced error or just is a error :p

There are so many stats for tennis, I think if ITTF want to add statistics to TT, these stats are no problem. In tennis there already had machine could measure the spin/speed of the tennis ball, think it is also possible work for TT after do some changes and some new design.

Reactions: Dan
Aug 2012
As I know there is a tactics laboratory work for China TT team (also for badminton, taekwondo..) , they will collect all statistics of CNT players (also including opponents :p) in many games, then analyzed by a computer. I have seen a report which said the laboratory made 67 articles of the technological analysis for Zhang Jike in last 2 years.

Reactions: revulucao
says Aging is a killer
The Stats suggestion is great. I used to do it when I was cornering for some kids but like every coach that tried it, gave up after a while. Just recording the main points was enough, I think.

Coaches tend to use diagrams to indicate how the game was played. Maybe such a diagrams app could be devised for TV broadcasters.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Totally right man. I've never actually thought about something like that, but as you're saying that it sounds really good. I hope one day there'll be something like that :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
As I know there is a tactics laboratory work for China TT team (also for badminton, taekwondo..) , they will collect all statistics of CNT players (also including opponents :p) in many games, then analyzed by a computer. I have seen a report which said the laboratory made 67 articles of the technological analysis for Zhang Jike in last 2 years.

Wow awesome! Do you have the report of this Tommy? I would love to see some of this!

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews