26th Asian Table Tennis Championship

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Harimoto doesnt seem to be able to deal with Wang Chuqins agressiveness anymore.
WCQ flips 90% of all balls and Harimoto is unable to stand under the pressure of the flip itself and the follow up attacks.
Pretty dominant 3-0 and previously this year 4-0 by Wang Chuqin.
I am curious if Harimoto will be able to adapt and get into the game and do something or if this keeps going on.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Great way to ruin it for other teams.
you gotta watch the matches in the "qualification/group" stages
it didn't just ruin it for Japan
but those teams in the stages, obviously had no chance

IE, TPE womens and China in the same group... only 1 team goes through.
Malaysia isn't too bad too.
If TPE or Malaysia was in the other 3 groups, they would have both progressed.

This user has no status.
its China v Japan again, in Women's semifinals tomorrow...
there might be more chance for Japan this time.
Hayata / Ito / Hirano should be the line-up
It would be disappointing if they just lose it like the Men's

For China,
Sun Yingsha / Chen Meng and whom ?
Chen XingTong was N3 against Singapore in QF today

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023

For China,
I think they'd do better than men's, though chances are slim

The men's match today might be the first time I've seen the chinese fans didn't cheer for their team

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
CNT did their research well.

1st match: Wang Chuqin repeatedly put pressure on the middle line to the forehand side of Harimoto. Tbf, Harimoto forehand attacks have improved but it wasn't enough to break the tactics of Wang, and every time he tried to receive with the backhand Wang instantly went for the forehand kill to the exposed corner.
2nd match: not much to say, Shinozuka can't handle the ball quality of Fan Zhendong. Maybe coach Tasei wanted him to have the experience of playing against the top Chinese so he assigned him, otherwise I don't see no reason why.
3rd match: having watched Togami since his rise, the guy has 3 deadly weakness. They're weak FH-BH connection, dealing with spin (receive, short game, drive) and defense game. Every weakness was capitalized by Ma Long. Serve to the backhand, spiny backhand drive and constant change of placement in rallies. Togami's ability to rally was decent but he was forced into defense and lost points.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
CNT did their research well.

2nd match: not much to say, Shinozuka can't handle the ball quality of Fan Zhendong. Maybe coach Tasei wanted him to have the experience of playing against the top Chinese so he assigned him, otherwise I don't see no reason why.

As for Shinozuka, he made it to the selection because he satisfied the JTTA criteria (before his injury he got good results and was N2 in internal ranking points for paris olympics race at the time of cutoff selection date).
His form has dropped a lot since so it's no surprise he got killed by FZD.

Looking at match order, its likely the coach thought that Japan's only chance was for Harimoto to win 2 singles like at WTTTC 2022 and that Togami won against ML as he seems now below FZD and WCQ due to his age, and it was likely that ML would be N3 player like at WTTC 2022. so he deliberately put Togami in 3rd player instead of Shinozuka. But even an old ML is way too strong for Togami.

anyway looking at Japan's current players, there is no obvious N3 player for the squad. I'm afraid that Japan men's team won't get medals, even bronze in upcoming competitions.

Reactions: tackyfh
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I am disappointed that JPN vs CHN went so quickly.

Harimoto seems slower despite more muscle. His Fh rally against WCQ was an obvious disadvantage.

I wonder what would be like if Harimoto plays H3 on FH?

"Slower despite more muscle" reads strange. Muscles deliver power, but muscle mass comes at the expense of agility/speed.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

For China,
I don't expect them to even try, except for Hayata. The most important thing for Hirano and Ito right now is the WS, in which they will gain selection points.

As for China, CXT will likely be benched as she has only played 3rd singles twice so far. WYD has played 2nd singles and 3rd singles once each. WMY has played 1st singles twice.

http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/foru...437&title=attc-2023-pyeongchang-9-310#1144437
Given China fielded the WTTC 2022 lineup against Japan in the MT QF today, I see no reason why the WT won't do the same tomorrow.

They have a tradition/habit of getting back at the ones to whom they lost, in order to reassert dominance. It's possible they will let SYS and WYD "catch" Hirano and Hayata, respectively, though the former is much more likely than the latter, depending on how they assess WYD's and CM's performance today and/or condition tomorrow.

Off the top of my head, this will be the first time Hayata, at 23, plays against China as a core member of Japan in a senior team event. The last 2 times at Team World Cup 2018 and ATTC 2017, she served as the backup for Hirano who was benched due to mental issues and Ishikawa who chose not to participate, respectively.

SYS vs Hirano > Hayata > Ito
CM vs Hayata >= Hirano > Ito
CXT benched?
WYD vs Hayata > Hirano > Ito
WMY vs Ito > Hirano = Hayata

MAS 0-3 CHN
CM x1, 2nd singles
SYS x1, 1st singles
WYD x1, 3rd singles
SYS
CM

CHN 3-0 TPE