Advice to improve my game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
I started playing table tennis for almost a year ago. I spent 90% of my time focusing on techniques, practicing different strokes. I moved to NJ recently, couldn't find any partner to practice anymore so I had to join a local club. People often compliment on my techniques but I got crushed easily when playing matches. Below are the some videos as examples.

I got caught out of position many times in the match above so I was trying to be more aware of that in this second match.

It seems my two opponents didn't used all of their tricks yet just to make the match more entertaining. After doing homework, I guess my most weaknesses are: positioning, anticipation, reading spin on serve return, and weak backhand loop/drive. My returns often float high or dump into net (as shown in the last few point in the second video). And it seems I often react too late on many shots eventhough my feet/hand are quicker than that.

May you please advise what should I work on first to improve my match play the fastest and how? Any help is really appreciated!!!

Equipment: I used to use a premade Joola Omega Strata racket (which I liked) for 10 months but recently upgraded to Nittaku Acoustic with Milky Way Mercury 2/Palio Ak47 Yellow on forehand/backhand which give me more feeling and power.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I started playing table tennis for almost a year ago. I spent 90% of my time focusing on techniques, practicing different strokes. I moved to NJ recently, couldn't find any partner to practice anymore so I had to join a local club. People often compliment on my techniques but I got crushed easily when playing matches. Below are the some videos as examples.

I got caught out of position many times in the match above so I was trying to be more aware of that in this second match.

It seems my two opponents didn't used all of their tricks yet just to make the match more entertaining. After doing homework, I guess my most weaknesses are: positioning, anticipation, reading spin on serve return, and weak backhand loop/drive. My returns often float high or dump into net (as shown in the last few point in the second video). And it seems I often react too late on many shots eventhough my feet/hand are quicker than that.

May you please advise what should I work on first to improve my match play the fastest and how? Any help is really appreciated!!!

Equipment: I used to use a premade Joola Omega Strata racket (which I liked) for 10 months but recently upgraded to Nittaku Acoustic with Milky Way Mercury 2/Palio Ak47 Yellow on forehand/backhand which give me more feeling and power.
Welcome to the forum! A few comments.

For someone who just started playing a year ago, you are very good!

Your opponents did not hold back. They might be higher rated than you are but they were trying their best. In general, when they (and I) play someone weaker, we tend to play it safe; let the other person make the mistake. That does not mean we are not trying. It is just, when you are playing someone with lower rating, you start off playing steady and then once you build a lead on the scoreboard, you can let it loose a bit and attack more. But that does not mean they are "holding back." They just want to win and they know you are not as steady as they are, so they try to keep the ball on the table and let you make the mistakes. And once the mistakes build up, they feel less pressure and they can attack more without worrying about losing to you.

So even if you had lost to them, they did not hold anything back per se. You were actually good enough so they tried to play safe in the beginning. Therefore you are doing a good job.

As for what you can improve on? I agree with what you said about what you need to improve upon. But the most important things are 1) get a coach to get you improve on one thing at a time, and 2) play more matches and force yourself to move more during the matches.

When you are stuck playing forehand to forehand and backhand to backhand during practice, you (or everyone) will have the tendency to be just "planted" there. We don't usually move until we are forced to move in practice (like in multiball practice being fed by a coach) or in matches.

I hate moving in multiball practices so I have stopped taking lessons. So the only time I would move my lazy azz is during matches. I also know pretty much all the strokes so I would play matches intending to lose them just so I could work on one aspect of my game. For example, for one match for one set, I would loop drive every single serve return. Then for the next set, I would work on attacking all third balls whether I were in position or not. Would I lose some matches? Yes, but I play matches to "improve" not to win. But that's also because I got plenty of coaching growing up. I was just busy getting good grades and building my career that I never played more than 1-2 times a week for a decade. Only in the last 2 years or so, I have the opportunity to, at this point in my career, play 4-5 times a week. I also only live 5 minutes from my closest club so that helps.

Reactions: PhilT and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Don't mean to go off-topic but how did you edit your videos? I like how they are cut precisely to get rid of the dead time. Did you do it manually or did that Wondershare/Filmora software help with that? I plan to film some play footage so I can fix my game too.

Don't mean to go off-topic but I like the way those videos were edited to cut out all of the dead time. Did you do all of that manually? Or did software assist a lot with that? I notice the Wondershare and Filmora watermarks. How does that work?
Also this sounds like exactly the issues I'm dealing with so I'm looking forward to the responses in this thread!

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I started playing table tennis for almost a year ago. I spent 90% of my time focusing on techniques, practicing different strokes. I moved to NJ recently, couldn't find any partner to practice anymore so I had to join a local club. People often compliment on my techniques but I got crushed easily when playing matches. Below are the two videos as examples.

It seems my two opponents didn't used all of their tricks yet just to make the match more entertaining. After doing homework, I guess my most weaknesses are: positioning, anticipation, reading spin on serve return, and weak backhand loop/drive.

May you please advise what should I work on first to improve my match play the quickest and how? Any help is appreciated!!!
You seem to have self-deprecating flair for melodrama. I can't see the destruction. I used to live in this part of the country so I am familiar with both players, especially the first one. He is not taking it easy on you at all. His best game is his blocking and smashing, the fact you even won points against him attacking given you have only played a year is very impressive.

You need more coaching to work on improving your ball quality and recovery. These players will come easily into your range if you get more coaching and get better. You are still at a level where there are many paths to improvement so the biggest thing you need is a good coach or practice partner/mentor to get you to a better level. Good luck.

And I know how it feels to learn as an adult and to think your game sucks and to think that if you only did one or two things better, these players would then become beatable. Table tennis does not work that way. improvement happens over periods of intense training and improved game reading skills, and the gains are often invisible for a long time. Then they magically appear and you start beating players you thought you would never beat. But it never happens if you don't put in the training and playing hours. But if you do, you might win and surprise yourself The winning is the addictive drug that fuels the process. But I remember when I first played the blocker and lost to him. Now I can beat him fairly easily, but I felt I never would be able to at one point. But things changed over years. Not months, not decades but years. One to three years of training and practice. Again, good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Hi Phil
you are doing quite well for such a short time, and show great potential because of good eye hand coordination and strong movement.

However, though you have strong movement almost none of your techniques are correct, so you need to systematically learn:-
  1. fh drive
  2. bh block/counter
  3. fh block/counter
  4. fh push bh push.
  5. short chop serve
  6. long fast serve all directions
    the above are in order of importance.
    to develop them you need to find a good practice partner or multiple-ball feeder. If that person can be a trusted judge of your technique that is ideal. If you can watch players with good technique and have a large mirror in the hall then you are in a very good situation. Cameras are useful but shadow play with mirror is instant
Your fh
first learn to produce a correct stroke against topspin or block. aim at consistent 20 shot rally at basic speed along one line
the next step is to play correct stroke from 2 or more positions
For completeness, when you can handle 3 positions try 2 positions random order! (3 feet apart, slow pace at first) this is quite a way down the road
Coach Tony (Tonys's Table Tennis) has a video which shows an improver working on fh from 3 position. Notice how Rubin tries to get his (left)playing shoulder and knee in the same relationship to the ball at all 3 positions.
The above represents a reasonable goal to aim at within 6 months or so if you train say 3 times a week. The elephant in the room is learning the correct fh technique along 1 line first. By the time you ready to copy Rubin you ought to be able to do a fifty shot shot 1 line exercise. If you have somebody to give you multi ball then its simpler to learn the stroke
rubin 3 point fh
your bh

again learn this in the same way, but pay more attention to blocking in different directions yourself as this will enable you to help your mates to train their fh's against your block. If you are asking others to feed you they will appreciate you helping them!, It will help you in matches too

when practicing, split things up a bit
maybe 30 min fh 30 min bh
match...
That's enough I think

keep working through the list and you won't recognise yourself in 18 months
good luck

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
A lot of good advise here.
training correct is very important.
But that doesn't equate to winning points early on in your development.

winning points requires not just technique and strategy, but it requires understanding your opponent and to some extent, luck.

So, I will want to encourage that you focus more on playing correct, than playing to win points.
Some times winning points may incur bad habits and that will take a lot more time to fix later on.

If you are able to find a coach or higher level club mate, to help you work on the list Pingpongdaddy listed, that will help your development speed a lot.

Once you learn individual skillsets, then it is to mix them together with different incoming balls (ie underspin/topspin) or placements, to learn the movement/footwork. ie, Rubin's video.

If I recall, the filming of that video, Rubin was only in his second year in table tennis. During his 1st year, he self learned and was with me for about 6 months when we filmed that. He was in his 30s then already.
I fed a bit fast, as he wanted to challenge where "he should be". So that drill was a bit heavy for him, but he loved it.

This user has no status.

This small suggestion goes a long way, but once you hit the ball you freeze and stop moving. Always keep moving. This way you will be more proactive and be ready for whatever is coming next.

Reactions: PhilT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
You push a lot of balls in the center of the table, very easy for your opponent. Almost no spin and high.

You can attack a higher number of balls. Instead of an easy push, move quickly into position and topspin, aiming at a corner, elbow or down the line. You will win more points if you take the initiative. Always think to put your oppnent in trouble.

Practice your movements and FH topspin. You can add a lot more power.

Reactions: PhilT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Thank everyone for great feedback and encouragement! I will carefully check and work on each of them.

@turbozed I had to cut the clip manually but it is easy and fast
@ben1229 I didn't work on my short game much yet because it seems more effective with long push against people around my level. And I win most of my points with forehand topspin so I prefer long push and prepare to loop or counter loop.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
@JJ Ng :"When you are stuck playing forehand to forehand and backhand to backhand during practice, you (or everyone) will have the tendency to be just "planted" there". This is exactly why I react passively and late to many balls (as pointed out by @ander999 ). I am forcing myself to move back to ready position right after every shot (no matter how good or bad shot it is) and watch the opponent's paddle before they hit to anticipate better. But "improvement happens over periods of intense training and improved game reading skills, and the gains are often invisible for a long time", well said @NextLevel . I should keep reminding me that so I don't get impatiently frustrated when not seeing the result right away.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Thanks a lot for great advices, @pingpongpaddy @Tony's Table Tennis @Doum ! I often hit with partners who have worse techniques so I thought mine are good. I will carefully re-evaluate and find a coach to learn those basics the correct way.
By the way it is a good thing to even play with partners who have worse techniques.

I really do not like snobby players at the club who play only with people who are better than them. I play with anyone at the club.

When you play with partners with worse techniques, I assume they are also not as steady in their ball return? If so, you can use that opportunity to work on your footwork. Meaning if they are going to hit the ball, all over the table, move! Or if they are hitting it to you on your backhand side, but all over the table on that side, then move your feet so you are returning every ball when you are in the perfect position. In other words, we can all find things we can work on depending on our partners' playing level.

Have fun!

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
@JJ Ng :"When you are stuck playing forehand to forehand and backhand to backhand during practice, you (or everyone) will have the tendency to be just "planted" there". This is exactly why I react passively and late to many balls (as pointed out by @ander999 ). I am forcing myself to move back to ready position right after every shot (no matter how good or bad shot it is) and watch the opponent's paddle before they hit to anticipate better. But "improvement happens over periods of intense training and improved game reading skills, and the gains are often invisible for a long time", well said @NextLevel . I should keep reminding me that so I don't get impatiently frustrated when not seeing the result right away.
recently to avoid the issue of being planted, I force myself to hit a few BH and then pivot to FH to continue the stroking. This way I am waking up my footwork. I do this on both side: FH as well as BH side of the table. Try it sometimes.

Reactions: Sticky and PhilT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
By the way it is a good thing to even play with partners who have worse techniques.

I really do not like snobby players at the club who play only with people who are better than them. I play with anyone at the club.

When you play with partners with worse techniques, I assume they are also not as steady in their ball return? If so, you can use that opportunity to work on your footwork. Meaning if they are going to hit the ball, all over the table, move! Or if they are hitting it to you on your backhand side, but all over the table on that side, then move your feet so you are returning every ball when you are in the perfect position. In other words, we can all find things we can work on depending on our partners' playing level.

Have fun!
Often when I'm playing lower level players. I tend to work on my defense. Most players my level feed off topspin and off block. So I usually play an offensive game.

Working on my defense helps give different looks and keeps me in the game when I give a weak return.

Most important thing I've learned from defense or blocking away the table is keeping the returns low and changing the depth of where the balls land.
Last thing would be switching from defense to counter-attack.

Some lower level players are like the players at your level but less consistent. This helps you with working on 4th and 6th balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
I've been working on positioning and forehand based on several comments here. Please let me know if it gets any better and if I am on the right track.

I myself feel more active to incoming balls instead of just reacting. I am more aware of my position and my opponent's. I can counter-attack more, especially on my forehand, as the result. Most of the time I won't be able to return the ball probably because more of my technique, less of my positioning.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: hclnnkhg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I've been working on positioning and forehand based on several comments here. Please let me know if it gets any better and if I am on the right track.

I myself feel more active to incoming balls instead of just reacting. I am more aware of my position and my opponent's. I can counter-attack more, especially on my forehand, as the result. Most of the time I won't be able to return the ball probably because of my technique, not my positioning.

Thank you!
slightly better - yes, way better
on right track - yes

Obviously, you are not in a "text book" style environment to train and correct your techniques, so I can't compare you to text book trained players, but you are moving a lot better now, as you say, "more active" and that is very important, meaning both your body and mind is there.

You are correct that you still have technique issues.
In a way, positioning too, which is more related to weight transfer/distribution.

How are you improving/training? could you tell me what your normal week looks like?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I myself feel more active to incoming balls instead of just reacting. I am more aware of my position and my opponent's. I can counter-attack more, especially on my forehand, as the result. Most of the time I won't be able to return the ball probably because of my technique, not my positioning.

Thank you!
Do you have a coach?

While it costs money, taking coaching even once a month as long as you record your lessons is very helpful.

Table tennis (at least the modern all-round attacking style) has developed specific movements and preparations to make your movement and strokes efficient. What you are doing now may work against players who don't make you respond quickly, but as the game gets faster, you have to continue to fix bad habits and the more you have to fix, the more time you will spend needing coaching later because you didn't fix the base earlier. Your athleticism is not the problem, your technique is. But even movement is technical - don't assume it is a separate issue.

If you get coaching even if once a month, it can help you a lot. Or just go to training camp at Lily Yip. Or find a good player to coach you for less, but one who understands standard technique. But that will not be easy to find to be honest unless you make friends with a really good player.

Reactions: blahness and PhilT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2023
Thanks, @Tony's Table Tennis and @NextLevel, for the comments!
I play at my club 4 times a week, 2-3 hours each. I have access to a basic ball machine at another location where I work on technique the other 2-3 days. I like to find a practice partner but most people at my club only play match. I live in South Jersey so Lily Yip is too far away.
When playing, I thought my technique is ok, but when watching from video, it looks "different" from other "trained" players. I just don't know how to correct it. Probably a coach is the only option to help. There is a nice coach at my club which I plan to have some trainning sessions with.
I should probably try to practice with a mirror as @pingpongpaddy suggested to see if it helps.
Thank you!