Boosted rubber won't un-dome

This user has no status.
So it has been a few weeks since i boosted my big dippers with baby oil and they won't stick to the paddle. The weather in texas has been on the cold end and I leave my rubbers in the garage to dry, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Or, do I need to apply oil to the topsheets since they won't stretch any more? I really don't want to do this, so I'm going to try to exhaust all other options.

I'm using LKT WBG, and the bond doesn't seem to be strong enough no matter how many layers I apply. Is there any thing (other than applying the oil to the topsheet) else that I can try?

This user has no status.
Did you remove the original glue-layer? That layer made my rubber act just like that.

Interesting... I havent had to do so with my other rubbers. I wouldn't even know how to remove it now, since the layers of glue still exist in a "wet" state rather than something peel-able.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, one thing you should know, no matter how you slice it, you should not be leaving or storing your rubbers somewhere where the temperature is lower than about 67 degrees. That actually damages the rubber. But it would also not be good for the oil or the process. Try putting oil in your refrigerator and then test the viscosity compared to at room temperature.

I would get those rubbers inside as fast as you can. Because you have sort of done a double whammy on them.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
Fais: the original layer is thick. Behaves like a plastic layer..
976897400836215175a5968598d44146.jpg

Reactions: fais and Suga D
This user has no status.
Fais: the original layer is thick. Behaves like a plastic layer..
976897400836215175a5968598d44146.jpg

This is how it appeared when i took it off the paddle the first time (and applied my boost). This is not what I have been seeing the past few days, the back has been clearer and wetter, as if the glue hadn't dried completely. (In hindsight, I should've taken a picture to share.)

I have brought the rubbers inside as UpsideDownCarl recommended, but I may have stacked about an ottomon (weighing about 20+ pounds) on top of it for the past 10 hours... you know, not enough to bend the pips or anything (o_o)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This is how it appeared when i took it off the paddle the first time (and applied my boost). This is not what I have been seeing the past few days, the back has been clearer and wetter, as if the glue hadn't dried completely. (In hindsight, I should've taken a picture to share.)

I have brought the rubbers inside as UpsideDownCarl recommended, but I may have stacked about an ottomon (weighing about 20+ pounds) on top of it for the past 10 hours... you know, not enough to bend the pips or anything (o_o)

I did this with Hurricane 8, had a dome of 2"+, took about 6 days,
no problem gluing with Elmers Cement. I used the minimum tension with clicky press. had about 1/2" dome when I glued it. I would not use that much weight.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
well ive removed the weight, now dira the explorer is holding down the rubbers. (A thin book, belongs to my 4 yr old not me.)

what are the chances ive damaged my rubbers with the excessive weight?

The weight won't damage it. But the cold actually causes rubber molecules to break down and if you left it out there long enough you would have caused it to be ready for the trash.

But it probably wasn't long enough. Even though it probably won't play as well as it would have if it had been taken care of differently.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
so this is what the spinge on the big dipper looks like after a few weeks.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/nSfQf

It is still extremely sticky (notice that i can hold it up with a napkin sticking to the back), and goopy (next to impossible to peal).

when I had them on the blade, i could press down on the edges and the rubber would stick for 20-30 seconds. i am thus inclined to believe it may not be the rubber, rather the glue that has mixed with baby oil and will not dry.

i will coninue to wait (it is 70 degrees fahrenheit in my house, not the optimal drying condition), and will keep working on getting the layer off the blade and the rubbers so that i may reglue. (as you can tell the dome is not excessive and it does flatten for a little while)

so this is what the spinge on the big dipper looks like after a few weeks.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/nSfQf

It is still extremely sticky (notice that i can hold it up with a napkin sticking to the back), and goopy (next to impossible to peal).

when I had them on the blade, i could press down on the edges and the rubber would stick for 20-30 seconds. i am thus inclined to believe it may not be the rubber, rather the glue that has mixed with baby oil and will not dry.

i will coninue to wait (it is 70 degrees fahrenheit in my house, not the optimal drying condition), and will keep working on getting the layer off the blade and the rubbers so that i may reglue. (as you can tell the dome is not excessive and it does flatten for a little while)

just place it somewhere windy!

btw why is your big dipper is so dark? isnt the normal big dipper blue is like H3N blue?
bd.jpg

This user has no status.
UPDATE:

So I was finally able to get my rubbers back on to the paddle. It was the glue/oil mush on the back of the sponge that was keeping the added layers of glue from drying. (When I was boosting+gluing in the summer, the texas heat was strong enough to dry the sponge enough that it would stick after a few days/weeks.)

The glue is too wet/mushy/oily to peel away with my fingers, so instead ive resorted to - masking tape. By applying strips of tape to the sponge and gently peeling them away backwards (not upwards! http://imgur.com/a/IJTs9). Now, the rubbers are sticking to the paddle just fine. I also used this method to loosen/remove the messy glue layer from the paddle as well. Though, duct tape would work better, you have to careful it may cause the beat up blades to splinter or sponge to tear.

Reactions: Suga D