Who do you think will win the China Open 2017?

• Ma Long

Votes: 51 57.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Koki Niwa

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Have you seen ZJK and ML playing doubles earlier yesterday? Did you see his back pain?

I can't tell. But he may have aggravated it.

Once you have a back injury process started and you think you are getting better, it may be something trivial that causes a problem to recur in a big way. Something like reaching for your socks or who knows. It doesn't have to happen while playing. I can tell you from my own and other people's experiences that it is a really frustrating injury that also gets into your head and affects your performance.

Did ZJK "give up"? I don't think any of us can know. I am not going to insult a grand slam winner by suggesting it, though. Not going to do it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is true. At this point this kind of thing happening to ZJK has become all too commonplace. I don't think it is worth wasting words or cardio for my thumbs on this.

Things like how good Harimoto is getting just short of his 14th birthday is a much bigger story to me: Or, how Japan has 7 players in the round of 16 (one player short of 50%).

But ZJK bowing out with yet another injury....

Say, is that Koki Niwa over there? Gotta go!

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I just thought you made an interesting observation which may explain what was happening. Say if he picked up the ball 3 times in the first set then 1 time in the second and 0 in the third, sth was going on with his back. And it is not hard to test this hypothesis when reviewing the game.

Did I say "I made out a pattern" or "I was trying to make out a pattern" ... there is a difference you know ... may be you don't :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I did not count rain and I did not see anything in particular that would trigger that conclusion , the only thing I saw was him doing high toss serves to give third ball attack opportunities for Ma Long , which seemed like a plan to avoid getting into rallies ...
I just thought you made an interesting observation which may explain what was happening. Say if he picked up the ball 3 times in the first set then 1 time in the second and 0 in the third, sth was going on with his back. And it is not hard to test this hypothesis when reviewing the game.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Come on guys! In China open we could see, that only XX/ML/FZD are the 'unstoppable' CNT players. And XX is get beaten more times than FZD/ML together.
Without injuries ZJK probably has a similar playing strength as XX.
As LGL said, ZJK won't just retire, other CNT players have to reach his level.
Everyone knows how strong ZJK was before his injuries. He isn't in his prime, but he isn't old either.
Why it's so hard to believe that LGL lets ZJK play (I am not speaking about the injury; in general), because he couldn't find a proper replacement? The coaches see the players day by day. They see who is more consistent, who is stronger. LJK and LGY are very strong, but they has problems with consistency (mental strength).
By the way, there are a plenty of great matches, why don't we speak about them instead of making tips about ZJK.

Because people like to believe what they like to believe, and rainenever does the same thing he blaims others for :p

ML or ZJK fan bandwagon it does not matter in the end

p.s. 6 years in the basement with the bronze medal its hard to digest !

This user has no status.
I can't tell. But he may have aggravated it.

Once you have a back injury process started and you think you are getting better, it may be something trivial that causes a problem to recur in a big way. Something like reaching for your socks or who knows. It doesn't have to happen while playing. I can tell you from my own and other people's experiences that it is a really frustrating injury that also gets into your head and affects your performance.

Did ZJK "give up"? I don't think any of us can know. I am not going to insult a grand slam winner by suggesting it, though. Not going to do it.

I tore two discs in my lower back about ten years ago and I echo your sentiments exactly. It took probably 5 years of abstaining from intense physical activity (lifting weights, playing physically intensive sports) for it to start feeling mostly normal again. However, every now and again I'll do something that will make it flair up again for a few weeks. Just a few months ago my lower back started hurting really bad again. Now I feel great.

Back injuries (especially lower back) seem to be the kind of injury that you just never fully recover from.

edit: i should have added, the injury occurred when i was 22

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Now, I didn't learn much TT skills, but learned how to tell a TT player has back injury by counting how many times he has a hard time picking up a ball. :) if not for his injury, no pro players would quit. It happens to Liu Xiang too, 110m track athlete . He quit when race began due to feet injury. Reason why he still signed up for it is that he brought too much profits through commercial endorsement, his absence would compromise it and make big corps unhappy ( Liu's face is on the package of a lot of commodities)

Reactions: PolishTT17
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Harimoto has no chance to win XX. Generally CNT players' performance is quite stable. Miracle won't happen unless XX has back injury too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
It amazes me that we are discussing how well 13 yrs old is going to do against Xu Xin(for the 2nd time in 2 weeks!).

He has always been very special player since I saw him at U8 nationals but this last 12 month has been an exponential growth. Very excited to see where he'll be in next 10 years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Harimoto has no chance to win XX. Generally CNT players' performance is quite stable. Miracle won't happen unless XX has back injury too

Kids are miracles, it is not so much about winning but about improvement and whether the result is better or whether the CNT have planned for him more aggressively. He has the right game to beat Xu Xin (LGY style blocking and countering), he just doesn't play against that level of spin often enough. If he hit often enough with Dima or FZD or Ma Long, he would be beating XX like Niwa or Lin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It amazes me that we are discussing how well 13 yrs old is going to do against Xu Xin(for the 2nd time in 2 weeks!).

He has always been very special player since I saw him at U8 nationals but this last 12 month has been an exponential growth. Very excited to see where he'll be in next 10 years.

Love to see FZD vs Harimoto rivalry in the coming years. Once HM gets more power and experience in his game as he grows up, FZD will be surely be challenged. Meanwhile, XX vs HM will be super fun. XX made some funny gestures at the kid after their WTTC match. Will be eagerly awaiting the result of today's match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Kids are miracles, it is not so much about winning but about improvement and whether the result is better or whether the CNT have planned for him more aggressively. He has the right game to beat Xu Xin (LGY style blocking and countering), he just doesn't play against that level of spin often enough. If he hit often enough with Dima or FZD or Ma Long, he would be beating XX like Niwa or Lin.
Agree. LGY represents the main style for the youngsters. Fast blocking and counter to wide angle target XX's Achilles heel.

I love penhold and XX, but there's a chance XX can lose.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I tore two discs in my lower back about ten years ago and I echo your sentiments exactly. It took probably 5 years of abstaining from intense physical activity (lifting weights, playing physically intensive sports) for it to start feeling mostly normal again. However, every now and again I'll do something that will make it flair up again for a few weeks. Just a few months ago my lower back started hurting really bad again. Now I feel great.

Back injuries (especially lower back) seem to be the kind of injury that you just never fully recover from.

edit: i should have added, the injury occurred when i was 22

Similar experience for me as well. Herniated the lower back doing a rather mundane movement... felt fine a short while after. Went back to lifting and...BAM! Got hit with it again, much worse. Took several years and a lot of physio before I could wake up in the morning without pain/stiffness.

Although all injuries are different. And even some big name powerlifters have had multiple disc herniations, yet come back to become stronger than ever. Tough to diagnose unless it's your own body! Suffice it to say, back injuries suck!

Reactions: edgy