difference between Carbon

says Aging is a killer
Show me the money trail and I'll show you the truth

Phillypong, your post demonstrates that the cost of production of composite blades are very similar to that of all wood blades.
I suspect that the overriding reason for the big PR about composite blade superiority to all-wood is that the brands discovered that they could charge a premium for the composite stuff.
Eg: So Butterfly has the extra cost of paying Timo and ZJK to use their names name on a line of blades. But an SZJK at £330 vs a Timo Boll off at £37. That's taking the wee.

SZJK.jpgTimo blade.jpg

I got to agree on Fabian here, i play the Waldner Senso Carbon (an inner ply carbon), it really is a very good blade , OFF- with good feedback and feel, works very well with MX-P kind of rubbers for the plastic ball. And very affordable.

But still : u should try out a blade before u buy it if possible , there is no way around that, otherwise u will spend a lot of money buying all kinds of blades.

Hey why not try the Huieson Arylate Carbon (on Aliexpress for around 18$). A friend of mine in our club bought this one. Is a bit stiffer than my Waldner Senso Carbon but is really well made and to be honest, i think lots of Arylate Carbon blades sold by other brands are just made in Huiesons factory.
This blade is really well made and finish is surprisingly good !
View attachment 14913

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You guys are actually making me laugh. This is very funny.

Before I post a few photos, I am going to ask a few questions:

First subject: What is the "grain" of the wood? Why is that there? What does it come from?

Second subject: How does water and nutrients get from the roots of the tree through the trunk, up to the branches and leaves?

:)

Hahahaha. This really is pretty funny.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, now some photos:

Here is a grain pattern:

fb14e8562ee0111e15a37e62f541ab44.jpg

If you looked at the end cut, which is perpendicular to the grain you would see this:

6bccd051a6799a22dcb0f5280b98c077.jpg

Even though the core ply is different wood than the outer ply, the grain pattern of the outer ply from this cut, would look similar if the outer ply was thick enough.

With this particular blade in my hand, the grain of the top ply and core run vertically from handle to tip. This is a photo of the tip. The base of the handle would show something different.

The grain of the second ply runs horizontal, at a 90° angle to the top ply and core. This gives the blade more strength. If all the plies ran parallel to each other there would be too much flex perpendicular to the grain and the blade would be exponentially easier to break.

So here is what a look at that same core from the side of the blade looks like:

b0596d3e6d8c6c83de8fb0b076014de6.jpg

If you look really closely, on that second Limba ply, you can see some of those pores which are the end view of the grain. Because that second ply is running straight towards the angle of the photo and the angle of the cut. If the photo quality was good enough it would be easy to see. In person, the pores on the second ply are easy to see.

And those PORES, are part of how nutrients and water get from the roots to the trunk, branches and leaves of the tree.

Each wood has a different grain pattern. But all woods have some grain pattern that has that same function. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You guys are actually making me laugh. This is very funny.

Before I post a few photos, I am going to ask a few questions:

First subject: What is the "grain" of the wood? Why is that there? What does it come from?

Second subject: How does water and nutrients get from the roots of the tree through the base, up to the branches and leaves?

:)

Hahahaha. This really is pretty funny.

I thought these holes in the wood were for nanites that secretly help me tell the ball where to go. I toyed with the idea that they also host tiny red lobsters that counteract what the nanites do, but Sandy Claws changed my mind about that.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I thought these holes in the wood were for nanites that secretly help me tell the ball where to go. I toyed with the idea that they also host tiny red lobsters that counteract what the nanites do, but Sandy Claws changed my mind about that.

All of this is also 100% accurate. Nanites hosted by tiny red lobsters. So, yes those little channels in the wood, also know as the grain of the wood, do give the wood magical properties that help you feel the ball and help you direct the ball to exactly where you want it to go, and they even are related to the flex in the wood. And the red lobsters sometimes aid the process and sometimes block the process. And then there are black spiders that are associated with the carbon layers that do other things like dampen vibrations. There are red and blue praying mantises that work with the black spiders in ALC weaves. And then there are yellow praying mantises in ZLC and ZLF weaves. :)

There is also this guy:

wisdom-clipart-sage-2.jpg

Who orchestrates the magic of the lobsters, and other tiny beings and also gives the tiny nanites their wisdom.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Who orchestrates the magic of the lobsters, and other tiny beings and also gives the tiny nanites their wisdom.

Ba'al speaks.

Ba'al in his infinite wisdom and power does these things.

Ba'al has spoken.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ba'al speaks.

Ba'al in his infinite wisdom and power does these things.

Ba'al has spoken.

There is also this guy:

[photo removed] [emoji2]

Good to know I found the right photo of Ba’al. [emoji2]

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Yo guys! Another update!! I just got the Hurricane 301 and a sheet of hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge rubber!! When I go back to Sweden(which is where I live) I'm gonna get another sheet of probably boost TC and try my racket out! Also, this new racket is actually kinda hard compared to my blade now so I'll see how I can adapt to that. However, do you guys think it will be too fast for me?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yo guys! Another update!! I just got the Hurricane 301 and a sheet of hurricane 3 provincial blue sponge rubber!! When I go back to Sweden(which is where I live) I'm gonna get another sheet of probably boost TC and try my racket out! Also, this new racket is actually kinda hard compared to my blade now so I'll see how I can adapt to that. However, do you guys think it will be too fast for me?

How long have you been playing? What approximate level are you? How well do you loop vs backspin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Where in Sweden do you live?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
The grain of the second ply runs horizontal, at a 90° angle to the top ply and core. This gives the blade more strength. If all the plies ran parallel to each other there would be too much flex perpendicular to the grain and the blade would be exponentially easier to break.
clearly you're very knowledgeable about the wood patterns, so I'm gonna ask you something I've been wondering about for a while. Does it matter if the grain pattern on the outermost ply doesn't quite align with the vertical axis of the blade and forms a very slight angle? Will it somehow make one side of the racket (side as in left/right, not 'red'/'black') different from another?

Reactions: thomas.pong
clearly you're very knowledgeable about the wood patterns, so I'm gonna ask you something I've been wondering about for a while. Does it matter if the grain pattern on the outermost ply doesn't quite align with the vertical axis of the blade and forms a very slight angle? Will it somehow make one side of the racket (side as in left/right, not 'red'/'black') different from another?

same here!

How long have you been playing? What approximate level are you? How well do you loop vs backspin?

well, I'm sorry but I legit can't answer the two first questions XD

BUT, I loop pretty well, against backspin but one slight problem is that sometimes(actually pretty rarely)I misjudge the amount of spin and loop over the edge. Yep.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Atm I'm not playing b/c of injured meniscus but I went to practice at Norrtull last year, it was fun. Otherwise I went to Spånga and practiced for a bit with friends who play there. Haven't played competitively since I rejuvenated my passion for the sport after 30 years away from it but the plan is to make a serious move and become as good as possible :)

When is the next practice at Norrtull?

Quick & urgent question

hey guys! there is a little hole on the cover of my brand new rubber which I wont use until a few month later. I know that hole is supposed to be there to let you see the rubber but since there is a gap will the rubber overtime get damaged(by damaged i mean less spinny, harden, etc.)? or can i just leave it and it will be good and ready to be used?