How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

Hi all,

just in case y'all didn’t know: Tournament Pressure is a Thing!

My recent participation was a real out-of-body experience

I could not recognize that guy in the video, whiffing so many FH loops vs backspin

As I compete vs these year 2, year 3 professionally trained kids, I realize they are better at this pace brand of TT

These annoying kids are a fifth my age, barely table height … mobile & agile, quick reaction time, better hand-eye coordination and one thing in common – they all possess a devastating FH drive

Yet for me – I recognize 2023 is still the year of everything BH, service returns & perform under pressure

In closing I chronicle discovering nuances e.g.

how grip pressure at impact affects spin & pace

when done correctly, a push can be a real weapon

the need, when & how to create ball energy

recognize when & stepping towards a ball establishes an effective striking zone

and finally, using a shorter back-swing on wide FH loops

ta' ta' 4 now

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
wut up @Wrighty67 ?!

i am staying focused, not sure about the getting better part tho :LOL:

as i recall ... how's your FH loop coming along?
Welcome back brother!

It’s a slow process for sure, one step forward and two steps back sometimes.

It’s all good though 🏓

Hi all,

may this post find you in good health, sound mental state & a devastatingly spinny BH loop

i am happy to share my monday league RR (1-2) earlier tonight had some exciting moments as well as of course, areas of frustrations

i continue to learn & discover holes in my game i need to fill up (there are many)

Yet, i am excited about after more than 9 months of talking about a BH loop (instead of a safe push) and a BH flick, i am looking for opportunities and starting to execute them in RR matches now

i am thrilled about the placement and varieties of tonight's serves (depth, spin, height & where along the table do i serve from), still i am and will always remember "it's good to have an idea what spin's coming back, it's even better to know spin and where the ball most likely be" for my 3rd ball

further most hopeful am i are the growth of my mental game e.g. self-talk after a make or a miss, in-between point routine (ritual), how to manage a plethora of emotions i.e. fear of missing a shot i've been working on forever, the joy of landing a ball wasn't confident it would, anxiousness of showing the fruits of my labor & the frustration of not able to compete the same way i train

even so, i recognize i need more match play (a lot more) in order to season

i need to discover at what rpm do i compete at my best

i really need to work on being in the moment, developing a presence & be able to focus on wining/or losing - one point at a time!

i am looking forward to the three up-coming tournaments (team, over 50 senior & local) 💪🏓

take care all,

LDM

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7 is back in action tonite in league vs some opponents he hasn't played in a LONG time.

I would expect him to do very well vs them, based on how far he has come in training and what he has already showed in local leagues.

LDM7 may or may not have shouted it from a mountain top, but he has settled on and committed to a blade and rubbers that make it much easier to generate slow, heavy spin and develop that shot sooner.

This setup has advantages close to the table in countering as well, so many aspects.

There is a very important teams tourney (888 Silicon Valley Teams) that he will compete in a couple weeks... the field is LOADED in each division, so it will make his team literally FIGHT for each game and match. Teams events have SO MUCH EMOTION and CHANGES of emotion and momentum that make them SO DAMN SPECIAL.

Right after that there is a SENIORS tourney he will play singles and doubles. His expectations and chances here are HUGE. This will likely be one of many BREAKTHROUGH tourneys.

BOTH of these tourneys will have TTD member ERM (World's largest EJ and former national youth team), the soon to register Sergey Tsos, and Der_Echte his own self along for the mission. (LDM7 has his own team of 1200-1600 players, we have our own 2000-2100 team) ALL of us gunna be there for the seniors competing.

This will shape up to be absolut EPIC without a doubt.

Reactions: LDM7 and IB66
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What I just wrote may sound contradictory to what I would normally set expectations for, since it takes a while for improvement in training to make its way into matches at enough quality and consistency...

Still, I have seen enough and believe it will show in the local league level better than it has shown to date. He has improved enough, that even if he plays 2-3 levels below what he shows in training he will winn vs the players on the table he will be assigned to.

Reactions: IB66
Hi LDM7 / Der

What was the equipment change? from what to what?

=> it's been a few months since i've changed from Butterfly Viscaria Super ALC => Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 (there are 3 versions)
=> FH rubber (current) = Butterfly Glayzer (having trouble settling on one)
=> BH rubber = Donic Bluestorm Z3
=> both rubbers are med-soft

Hope you keep improving and are able to transfer this into some good wins and performances in the upcoming tournaments!!!

=> would ya'll believe i experienced the breakthrough der was talking about ... FINALLY!!
=> at the seniors event (40 & over), i took two divisions (U1000 & draw doubles)
=> the best part about my singles win is i had to go through multiple pips out players (next frontier)

Pinga Ponga continues to be mostly fascinating, albeit borderline frustrating many times

Attachments

• U1000 pic.jpg
    U1000 pic.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • draw dbls .jpg
    draw dbls .jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Greetings,

three questions please,

Question #1:
are bh serves more advantageous/typically used by a bh dominant plyr?

Question #2:
can i have names of a couple modern plyrs that have really good bh serves, using it to take control of the point from the get-go (3rd ball)?

Final ?:
if i slap on long pips on my bh, will i still be able to loop & counter & block as well as i currently do?

thanks, LDM7

Reactions: IB66 and Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

=> it's been a few months since i've changed from Butterfly Viscaria Super ALC => Donic Persson Powerplay Senso V1 (there are 3 versions)

Hope you keep improving and are able to transfer this into some good wins and performances in the upcoming tournaments!!!

=> would ya'll believe i experienced the breakthrough der was talking about ... FINALLY!!
=> at the seniors event (40 & over), i took two divisions (U1000 & draw doubles)
=> the best part about my singles win is i had to go through multiple pips out players (next frontier)

Pinga Ponga continues to be mostly fascinating, albeit borderline frustrating many times
Awesome, that’s great news!

Reactions: LDM7 and NextLevel
This user has no status.
Greetings,

three questions please,

Question #1:

Question #2:
can i have names of a couple modern plyrs that have really good bh serves, using it to take control of the point from the get-go (3rd ball)?

Final ?:
if i slap on long pips on my bh, will i still be able to loop & counter & block as well as i currently do?

thanks, LDM7
i'll answer only #2

Dimitri OVTCHAROV
Darko JORGIC

and...
many choppers use BH serve
FILUS
MA TE

SATO, HASHIMOTO, OJIO Haruna (those 3 players are all girls)

PS: in matchplay, BH serve is my #1 serve.

Reactions: LDM7 and NextLevel
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

Hey, way to go LDM7 !!!! Well deserved, you been putting in the hours, so nothing less than you deserve.

I was using Glazer 09C FH and Glazer on BH, both good rubbers.
Just changed to Tau 2 on both wings. tested it a couple of years ago, but never used it for any real length of time. Gonna give it a go for the upcoming season, just got to get a couple of spare sheets.

How’s the training going?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Greetings,

three questions please,

Question #1:

Question #2:

Final ?:

thanks, LDM7
1. Yes, but not the way you think any more, especially in today's game where the players are more balanced. Very few backhand dominant players these days at the higher levels. The main advantage of backhand serving for a backhand dominant player is that you are already in a ready position that you don't have to change out of for your next stroke if you intend to play with the backhand, like many choppers do and some attackers also do. But many forehand dominant players use backhand serves as well, Quadri Aruna is a famous one, that is because the sidespin usually played into the forehand side can be very hard to push appropriately.

2. Dima, Jorgic, Quadri, Rosskopf. lots of choppers etc. I could add a lot of Nigerians and Russians, and there are lots of really good tutorials on backhand serves in all kinds of languages.

3. No. You would need to twiddle to do that. There are some LPs that let you play aggressively on the backhand, but you won't be looping with them for sure. You might be able to attack, counter and block well, for some people even better, but the strokes are different and they are not looping strokes.

Reactions: LDM7
i'll answer only #2

Dimitri OVTCHAROV
Darko JORGIC

and...
many choppers use BH serve
FILUS
MA TE

SATO, HASHIMOTO, OJIO Haruna (those 3 players are all girls)

PS: in matchplay, BH serve is my #1 serve.

i am adding some chops to my game, so developing a few bh serves may be a good marriage

multiple peeps have commented (& myself have noticed) once a rally starts i.e. getting pass my first contact, then i am ok

hence learning how to chop

* slows me down, giving me a better chance for a rally instead of pissing the point right away

* adds variety & differentiates my game from the pro-kids (i am so desperately to overcome)

* offers options with service returns (i don't have to loop every deep serve now)

* also gives me an out with that 1st side-2-side transition ball (especially when my bat is not neutral ready, body out of balance or jst too close on top of the table)

in time i will watch yt of those three girls play & look to learn one thing from each

good looking out Takkyu_wa, see you soon when i visit japan

i'll pm you, arigato

Last edited:
1. Yes, but not the way you think any more, especially in today's game where the players are more balanced. Very few backhand dominant players these days at the higher levels. The main advantage of backhand serving for a backhand dominant player is that you are already in a ready position that you don't have to change out of for your next stroke if you intend to play with the backhand, like many choppers do and some attackers also do. But many forehand dominant players use backhand serves as well, Quadri Aruna is a famous one, that is because the sidespin usually played into the forehand side can be very hard to push appropriately.

2. Dima, Jorgic, Quadri, Rosskopf. lots of choppers etc. I could add a lot of Nigerians and Russians, and there are lots of really good tutorials on backhand serves in all kinds of languages.

3. No. You would need to twiddle to do that. There are some LPs that let you play aggressively on the backhand, but you won't be looping with them for sure. You might be able to attack, counter and block well, for some people even better, but the strokes are different and they are not looping strokes.

=> I have a bh

But I am not bh dominant ... (YET)

I am a … I wanna have a serviceable bh plyr which 2023 is all about that !!

I also understand serving from fh (natural) side offers more variety than bh serves, though one advantage of a bh serve is your feet are already paralleled to the table and get in position quicker for that 3rd ball

maybe vs a southpaw, from dbls service side, I can bh serve into them i.e. their bh and look for a more natural 3rd ball to my middle-T or better yet, my FH side for an opening loop. I am landing more FH loop vs backspin now albeit I can see the foot literally needs work

But I wonder what advantages can be gained when a rightie bh serve into another right-hander’s bh or fh (from server’s bh side)

I will watch quadri’s vid’s and see where he bh serves on the table and how he develops a point, getting himself into a rally
=> I am simply looking to develop a more well-rounded game, not boxed in with any particular style
=> twiddling is out. this is a deal breaker. i got enough things to worry (& think) about ... i am not adding another element to my game. Nope, no LP for LDM

=> i want to be able to do all kinds of things with my bh ... e.g different types of blocks, chops, counter, loop drive & every1's favorite, a slow & spinny bh loop that lands in the middle of the table (or close to the net) so the other feels like he has to reach ... hehe

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
=> I have a bh

I also understand serving from fh (natural) side offers more variety than bh serves, though one advantage of a bh serve is your feet are already paralleled to the table and get in position quicker for that 3rd ball

maybe vs a southpaw, from dbls service side, I can bh serve into them i.e. their bh and look for a more natural 3rd ball to my middle-T or better yet, my FH side for an opening loop. I am landing more FH loop vs backspin now albeit I can see the foot literally needs work

But I wonder what advantages can be gained when a rightie bh serve into another right-hander’s bh or fh (from server’s bh side)

I will watch quadri’s vid’s and see where he bh serves on the table and how he develops a point, getting himself into a rally

=> I am simply looking to develop a more well-rounded game, not boxed in with any particular style

=> twiddle is out. this is a deal breaker for me. i got enough things to worry (& think) about ... i am not adding another element to my game. Nope, no LP for LDM

=> i want to be able to do all kinds of things with my bh ... e.g different types of blocks, chops, counter, loop drive & every1's favorite, a slow & spinny bh loop that lands in the middle of the table (or close to the net) so the other feels like he has to reach ... hehe
I regularly use a very short BH topspin serve into RH players FH - more often than not, if it is short enough I get a nice popped up ball to my FH or they miss the table. I throw in a side/back version as they adjust and it looks very similar.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
BH serve short to a righties FH and long to their BH corner or wider keeps them guessing!!!
Also if long to BH corner, a slight variation of fast no spin after a fast topspin serve can win an easy point or two!!
Position to play the serve can vary, some serve from central or slightly from FH side of the table (Octcharov), giving a much better angle to an opponents wide FH.
I usually serve BH more from my BH side, harder to get wide angle to receivers FH but easier serve the fast long into receivers BH corner.

Side spin generated (for righthanded player) wants to drag the ball to the servers FH side, so can help with a 3rd ball FH attack. but perhaps, the 5th ball is more likely to be a BH stroke. If you are fit and fast enough then your good movement will mean you can step around and play more FH 5th balls!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
=> I have a bh

=> twiddle is out. this is a deal breaker for me. i got enough things to worry (& think) about ... i am not adding another element to my game. Nope, no LP for LDM

Hey LDM7!

Reactions: LDM7
This user has no status.
BH serve short to a righties FH and long to their BH corner or wider keeps them guessing!!!
Also if long to BH corner, a slight variation of fast no spin after a fast topspin serve can win an easy point or two!!
Position to play the serve can vary, some serve from central or slightly from FH side of the table (Octcharov), giving a much better angle to an opponents wide FH.
I usually serve BH more from my BH side, harder to get wide angle to receivers FH but easier serve the fast long into receivers BH corner.

Side spin generated (for righthanded player) wants to drag the ball to the servers FH side, so can help with a 3rd ball FH attack. but perhaps, the 5th ball is more likely to be a BH stroke. If you are fit and fast enough then your good movement will mean you can step around and play more FH 5th balls!!!
That BH serve into the FH short wide area is a killer if the other player only knows how to push. I also exploit the same placements heavily with my hook serve.