how to do a push that creates sidetopspin

This user has no status.
There is absolutely zero topspin in this push
this is just a variation of backspin push and another push with light backspin + light sidespin
Dude it actually says 侧上 which is sidetopspin....

I actually use this technique quite a bit so I know it produces sidetopspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Just because it says sidetop doesn't mean it has sidetop though. I think it's probably more of a sidespin/no spin push, but it doesn't really matter in the end. The opponent thinks it's a fairly heavy backspin and it isn't, and that's all that matters.

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
This user has no status.
Just because it says sidetop doesn't mean it has sidetop though. I think it's probably more of a sidespin/no spin push, but it doesn't really matter in the end. The opponent thinks it's a fairly heavy backspin and it isn't, and that's all that matters.
It is the exact same wrist movement that creates heavy sidetopspin in the hook serve or reverse pendulum. It can absolutely be used to produce sidetopspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It is the exact same wrist movement that creates heavy sidetopspin in the hook serve or reverse pendulum. It can absolutely be used to produce sidetopspin.
But you're brushing a backspin ball on an upward trajectory for this push while on services you're brushing a no spin ball on a downward trajectory.

This user has no status.
But you're brushing a backspin ball on an upward trajectory for this push while on services you're brushing a no spin ball on a downward trajectory.
Yes it is possible - exact same principle is used for the strawberry stroke to create sidetopspin off an incoming underspin ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yes it is possible - exact same principle is used for the strawberry stroke to create sidetopspin off an incoming underspin ball.
The strawberry flick is just an over the table sidetopspin loop, this is different. Look at the shot at 2:01 in slow motion for example, he's basically just contacting the ball and then do a fake brush, which is more like a no spin serve.

For these TT myths, it's best to just focus on the physics. You can't create a topspin ball that heads toward your opponent without brushing the top half of the ball, it's physically not possible. In order to do that, the racket needs to have its leading edge higher than the trailing edge. That's the case for all loops, topspin services, the banana flick, and the strawberry flick. At no point in his push is that happening.

This user has no status.
The strawberry flick is just an over the table sidetopspin loop, this is different. Look at the shot at 2:01 in slow motion for example, he's basically just contacting the ball and then do a fake brush, which is more like a no spin serve.

For these TT myths, it's best to just focus on the physics. You can't create a topspin ball that heads toward your opponent without brushing the top half of the ball, it's physically not possible. In order to do that, the racket needs to have its leading edge higher than the trailing edge. That's the case for all loops, topspin services, the banana flick, and the strawberry flick. At no point in his push is that happening.
If that's what you think, you would eat a huge amount of serves for breakfast lol.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I understand you can create sidespin and even a little topspin with pushes, but in this demo, I don’t think that push stroke create that much spin, these guys are just exaggerating the effect. For the underspin push, he intentionally drives the ball very flat, even downward so it hit the net. For the nospin/sidespin push, he pushes harder so the ball will come off the table. And then he needs to topspin the ball with an upward motion so that it goes over the net, instead of drive it flat like the first demo.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
For these TT myths, it's best to just focus on the physics. You can't create a topspin ball that heads toward your opponent without brushing the top half of the ball, it's physically not possible.
sorry but you need to learn physics again. It’s certainly possible to create topspin by brushing the bottom part of the ball and your racket goes a little upward and backward. People use this a lot in serves.

This user has no status.
I understand you can create sidespin and even a little topspin with pushes, but in this demo, I don’t think that push stroke create that much spin, these guys are just exaggerating the effect. For the underspin push, he intentionally drives the ball very flat, even downward so it hit the net. For the nospin/sidespin push, he pushes harder so the ball will come off the table. And then he needs to topspin the ball with an upward motion so that it goes over the net, instead of drive it flat like the first demo.
Yes its generally weak spin balls but it shows the principle behind it which is the important part.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
If that's what you think, you would eat a huge amount of serves for breakfast lol.
sorry but you need to learn physics again. It’s certainly possible to create topspin by brushing the bottom part of the ball and your racket goes a little upward and backward. People use this a lot in serves.
Yeah, you're both right, I just tried some topspin serves and it's pretty clear I'm brushing the bottom of the ball 😙
It does require a back and upward movement though, which this this push doesn't show. That makes sense from a physics perspective, the backward brush from the bottom creates the topspin, the upward movement with an angled racket creates a forward bounce.

I stand corrected on that statement!

This user has no status.
Yeah, you're both right, I just tried some topspin serves and it's pretty clear I'm brushing the bottom of the ball 😙
It does require a back and upward movement though, which this this push doesn't show. That makes sense from a physics perspective, the backward brush from the bottom creates the topspin, the upward movement with an angled racket creates a forward bounce.

I stand corrected on that statement!
I think it's because he's using penhold so it's a lot more subtle. If I did it with shakehand i actually have to disguise the normal underspin push by adding a fake upwards followthrough after the push. Whereas with the sidetopspin push the upwards followthrough is the one that is brushing the ball.

He is contacting bottom of the ball and then going upwards and slightly to the right side along the back of the ball with the wrist action. It's almost like the sidetopspin reverse pendulum/hook serve wrist action.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think it's because he's using penhold so it's a lot more subtle. If I did it with shakehand i actually have to disguise the normal underspin push by adding a fake upwards followthrough after the push. Whereas with the sidetopspin push the upwards followthrough is the one that is brushing the ball.

He is contacting bottom of the ball and then going upwards and slightly to the right side along the back of the ball with the wrist action. It's almost like the sidetopspin reverse pendulum/hook serve wrist action.
I watched them all in 0.25 speed, other than the one at 2:09 he doesn't go upward at all. He actually uses a variety of techniques, sometimes no spin, sometimes sidespin, and only the one at 2:09 is topspin and that one was very obviously not a backspin push even at regular speed.

This user has no status.
I watched them all in 0.25 speed, other than the one at 2:09 he doesn't go upward at all. He actually uses a variety of techniques, sometimes no spin, sometimes sidespin, and only the one at 2:09 is topspin and that one was very obviously not a backspin push even at regular speed.
2:09 is extremely exaggerated. The rest are a lot more subtle which is what does the damage. I use a very similar principle for my heavy sidetopspin hook serve which everybody thinks is underspin, on second thought I probably will just keep this a secret lol.

Reactions: dingyibvs
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

I'm definitely not an expert but wouldn't the replies to the push jump high if there are a topspin component? Definitely a good push but the opponent misses low into the net. Isn't that an indication that it was under or side underspin?

Does he maybe mean the serve has side/top spin?

BTW personally as a low level penhold player I love the pushing aspect of PH. Really easy to change the angle while with SH you really have to switch from fh to BH push to hit the other side of the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
I'm definitely not an expert but wouldn't the replies to the push jump high if there are a topspin component? Definitely a good push but the opponent misses low into the net. Isn't that an indication that it was under or side underspin?

Does he maybe mean the serve has side/top spin?

BTW personally as a low level penhold player I love the pushing aspect of PH. Really easy to change the angle while with SH you really have to switch from fh to BH push to hit the other side of the ball.
Have you watched it through?

After 2m ins in there are a lot of examples of his push being returned high as a result of the topspin he has applied.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Fact is, such shot is possible
debating on how much spin or effects etc, doesn't not override the fact that it is possible.
I like to do it with RPB "push" and end up with a lift. People will pop the ball up for me to kill
For the ones that read it, they will drive me flat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Fact is, such shot is possible
debating on how much spin or effects etc, doesn't not override the fact that it is possible.
I like to do it with RPB "push" and end up with a lift. People will pop the ball up for me to kill
For the ones that read it, they will drive me flat
Yes, my point is videos like this can make people misunderstand about this “magic” stroke. If you want to produce enough topspin that your opponent push it off the table, the stroke need to be much more exaggerated/obvious than this. In this video, it looks like magic :)) still normal a push stroke, with no upward motion, yet produce so much topspin, it’s very far from realistic.