Is body type giving any form of advantage?

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
Body-Shapes-for-Men-1.jpg

Do you think having a certain type of body will give an advantage to a table tennis player? Must they adjust playing style accordingly?

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Im the last one with V shape, since i manage to learn how to play really quick for advanced amateur level, i can assume that it does matter.
But I guess, the more correct thing would be to calling it athletic type of a build. And its really beneficial for any kind of a sport. Believe me, i have compete in multiply of them. If you explosive, have strong legs and core - it would be good thing for almost any sport activity. BTW, you can be explosive and fast even with some belly, FZD is a good example

Reactions: Kopp and Gozo Aruna

NDH

says Spin to win!
Im the last one with V shape, since i manage to learn how to play really quick for advanced amateur level, i can assume that it does matter.
But I guess, the more correct thing would be to calling it athletic type of a build. And its really beneficial for any kind of a sport. Believe me, i have compete in multiply of them. If you explosive, have strong legs and core - it would be good thing for almost any sport activity. BTW, you can be explosive and fast even with some belly, FZD is a good example

I don't know your level or experience - Do you have any video of you playing?

I would agree that simply being in good physical condition is going to help with every sport.

But I disagree that it matters when you are learning (aside from basic health benefits).

I've seen some incredibly unathletic players who are better than 99.9% of people out there.

Likewise, I've seen unfit juniors who learn quicker than athletic juniors......

Your ability to learn is less to do with your physique and more to do with your hand eye coordination, ability to digest the teaching and put it into practice and desire to get better.

So at a very high level......

Is being athletic and fit, better than being unathletic and unfit?

Yes.

Is there one body type that is "best"?

No, I don't think so - Although your typical Chinese physique of shorter, powerful lower body, fast..... Certainly doesn't hurt.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Drowsy one cant do well in table tennis. Size of belly is of minor importance.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I don't know your level or experience - Do you have any video of you playing?

I would agree that simply being in good physical condition is going to help with every sport.

But I disagree that it matters when you are learning (aside from basic health benefits).

I've seen some incredibly unathletic players who are better than 99.9% of people out there.

Likewise, I've seen unfit juniors who learn quicker than athletic juniors......

Your ability to learn is less to do with your physique and more to do with your hand eye coordination, ability to digest the teaching and put it into practice and desire to get better.

So at a very high level......

Is being athletic and fit, better than being unathletic and unfit?

Yes.

Is there one body type that is "best"?

No, I don't think so - Although your typical Chinese physique of shorter, powerful lower body, fast..... Certainly doesn't hurt.
Of course, there is levels where it plays more role, and the scenarios where it didn’t plays much. Retired, aged and little bit fatty pro or national level player would definitely beat me, an athletic younger guy with 1,5 years of experience in TT.
But if we talking about the two athletes that are pretty even in both technical and tactical level - the more athletic will prevail.
When I’m saying that i quickly managed to achieve advanced amateur level, Im not meaning that i did it only because of my physique. I have trained 5 days a week with a very good coach, that well known in my country (sometimes i train two times a day) for 3+ hours with a clear goal that I want to improve, and 6th day was a tourney with much more experienced players. Plus i do a lot of serving practise (that most amateur are prefer to skip). I didn’t have an video of me playing, maybe i will do in a time. But that athletic abilities that i have from previous sports, given me opportunities to handle volume of training like that. Actually coach telling me, that regularly it takes up to 5 years minimum, for adults, to achieve the level of play, that i do have now.
Many of the guys, from the tourney that i play once a week, starting to adding some weight training in their list, and getting their diet more strict; even my coach, who’s is 60 years old, starting to doing it. Because the benefits are more obvious, than not. But of course, if you didn’t train TT, and only doing deadlifts - it means nothing for your game 🙂

Last edited:
Nov 2022
Of course, there is levels where it plays more role, and the scenarios where it didn’t plays much. Retired, aged and little bit fatty pro or national level player would definitely beat me, an athletic younger guy with 1,5 years of experience in TT.
But if we talking about the two athletes that are pretty even in both technical and tactical level - the more athletic will prevail.
When I’m saying that i quickly managed to achieve advanced amateur level, Im not meaning that i did it only because of my physique. I have trained 5 days a week with a very good coach, that well known in my country (sometimes i train two times a day) for 3+ hours with a clear goal that I want to improve, and 6th day was a tourney with much more experienced players. Plus i do a lot of serving practise (that most amateur are prefer to skip). I didn’t have an video of me playing, maybe i will do in a time. But that athletic abilities that i have from previous sports, given me opportunities to handle volume of training like that. Actually coach telling me, that regularly it takes up to 5 years minimum, for adults, to achieve the level of play, that i do have now.
Many of the guys, from the tourney that i play once a week, starting to adding some weight training in their list, and getting their diet more strict; even my coach, who’s is 60 years old, starting to doing it. Because the benefits are more obvious, than not. But of course, if you didn’t train TT, and only doing deadlifts - it means nothing for your game 🙂
If everything else, like training and diet, is equal, I've to agree with you. I've noticed that players with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th body types are quicker and more coordinated. Their muscles develop faster & easier. These factors may help them to learn the sport more quickly. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think that more than half (maybe ⅔?) of top table tennis players are these types.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
If everything else, like training and diet, is equal, I've to agree with you. I've noticed that players with the 1st, 3rd, and 5th body types are quicker and more coordinated. Their muscles develop faster & easier. These factors may help them to learn the sport more quickly. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think that more than half (maybe ⅔?) of top table tennis players are these types.
I guess so, with the new ball players tend to became more athletic. Don’t miss understanding my quote, you can play table tennis with any physique, that’s why it’s so amauter friendly. But if you became less fatty, and ur arms and legs became little bit stronger - does it did something bad to your game or technique, even if you a pro? Not at all. Actually it will make you even better player. The same principle can be applied to any level player

Reactions: Kopp

NDH

says Spin to win!
I'll start by saying it's very difficult to have these conversations with someone where I don't know what the level is.

What is "advanced amateur" level?

In China, an advanced amateur is likely be incredibly good.

In Papua New Guinea, an advanced amateur would be terrible......

Your table tennis level has nothing to do with general fitness questions of course. But I do think it's important to put context of your level and experience into the answers you give.

Your comment that I've quoted indicates to me that you are basing your opinion on theory and logic, rather than experience (which is understandable if you have not been in the game form very long).

Firstly, I don't think you can ever really have 2 identical players in technical and tactical level playing at the same time....... There is usually an edge on the day to one of them.

Secondly, even if you did, athletic ability is only an advantage in 2 scenarios I can think of.....

1. Generally speaking, the fitter person would have less injuries.
2. If it was a tournament match and the players had been playing for a long time already that day.

If we are simply talking about a 1 vs 1 with 2 fully fit players (no injuries etc), then providing they can both play a full TT match, athletic ability isn't a factor.

As always, there are caveats here which are too numerous to go through, so in essence, all I'll say is that you are over analyzing the athletic side of table tennis to an extent.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
From under five feet Mima Ito to lanky Gionis / Samsonov to willowy Lin Yunju / Sung Sisters / Liam to storky FZD / LJK, all playing at high level with their respective beautiful game shows that TT is truly a game for all. Fortunately there is no one size fit all stereotype in TT universe.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I'll start by saying it's very difficult to have these conversations with someone where I don't know what the level is.

What is "advanced amateur" level?

In China, an advanced amateur is likely be incredibly good.

In Papua New Guinea, an advanced amateur would be terrible......

Your table tennis level has nothing to do with general fitness questions of course. But I do think it's important to put context of your level and experience into the answers you give.

Your comment that I've quoted indicates to me that you are basing your opinion on theory and logic, rather than experience (which is understandable if you have not been in the game form very long).

Firstly, I don't think you can ever really have 2 identical players in technical and tactical level playing at the same time....... There is usually an edge on the day to one of them.

Secondly, even if you did, athletic ability is only an advantage in 2 scenarios I can think of.....

1. Generally speaking, the fitter person would have less injuries.
2. If it was a tournament match and the players had been playing for a long time already that day.

If we are simply talking about a 1 vs 1 with 2 fully fit players (no injuries etc), then providing they can both play a full TT match, athletic ability isn't a factor.

As always, there are caveats here which are too numerous to go through, so in essence, all I'll say is that you are over analyzing the athletic side of table tennis to an extent.
I can tell you what advanced amateur for me: it’s like 1900-2000 elo players. I get wins over that level with stability. Buts it’s about 50/50 sometimes it changes a bit - we all have good and bad days. Most of a good players, sportsman’s playing or doing their sports years and years with chronic injuries, knee or back/neck, shoulder problems or just sort of chronic pain it’s ok on that level. So the point of “winning the one with lesser injuries” is kinda funny. I’m a coach with 10+ years of experience but in different sports, had national and Europe champions students. My overall experience is much more than just table tennis. But i don’t see the point of arguing with you. Since there is nothing to argue about. Every pro player do condition and working with dietologist or having clue about basic principle of nutrition, if we talking about elite ones. But again, what working for pros would be beneficial for any Billy as well. Even if you played in 3d team for you country, at age of 13 didn’t change such things

Last edited:
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
From under five feet Mima Ito to lanky Gionis / Samsonov to willowy Lin Yunju / Sung Sisters / Liam to storky FZD / LJK, all playing at high level with their respective beautiful game shows that TT is truly a game for all. Fortunately there is no one size fit all stereotype in TT universe.
Believe me, their all do strength training and other stuff that helping them to be the best versions of themselves, and just looking the way they look 🙂

NDH

says Spin to win!
I can tell you what advanced amateur for me: it’s like 1900-2000 elo players. I get wins over that level with stability. Buts it’s about 50/50 sometimes it changes a bit - we all have good and bad days. Most of a good players, sportsman’s playing or doing their sports years and years with chronic injuries, knee or back/neck, shoulder problems or just sort of chronic pain it’s ok on that level. So the point of “winning the one with lesser injuries” is kinda funny. I’m a coach with 10+ years of experience but in different sports, had national and Europe champions students. My overall experience is much more than just table tennis. But i don’t see the point of arguing with you. Since there is nothing to argue about. Every pro player do condition and working with dietologist or having clue about basic principle of nutrition, if we talking about elite ones. But again, what working for pros would be beneficial for any Billy as well. Even if you played in 3d team for you country, at age of 13 didn’t change such things
I'm not disagreeing with the core principals of what you are saying.

But without truly knowing your experience and playing level in TT, it's impossible to have a level conversation about this.

I have no idea what level 1900-2000 elo is - And even if I did, I think people would still love to see some video footage of you playing.

For what it's worth (having watched this forum for many years), the minute you upload video footage of yourself, your reputation increases dramatically.

Even if the footage isn't at a high level, it shows you for who you are, and people will respect that.

So yeah, general fitness = Good.

But it's not black and white :)

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
I'm not disagreeing with the core principals of what you are saying.

But without truly knowing your experience and playing level in TT, it's impossible to have a level conversation about this.

I have no idea what level 1900-2000 elo is - And even if I did, I think people would still love to see some video footage of you playing.

For what it's worth (having watched this forum for many years), the minute you upload video footage of yourself, your reputation increases dramatically.

Even if the footage isn't at a high level, it shows you for who you are, and people will respect that.

So yeah, general fitness = Good.

But it's not black and white :)
Ah, okay okay, didn’t know that this forum has such a tradition. I’m little bit of a newbie here. I don’t mind it by the way. It’s a good way to know better each other. Maybe one day, i will record some training, matches video, but i need an inspiration for that. But in general, how does my ability to play, influenced things that I’m trying to tell? Every athlete that include structured overall strength training, and get his shit with food together, became more fit - will benefit from that, no doubt about it. Of course, constant TT practice is a must with that, since we talking about, does it helping became better TT player or not 🤓

Reactions: lodro and hclnnkhg

NDH

says Spin to win!
Ah, okay okay, didn’t know that this forum has such a tradition. I’m little bit of a newbie here. I don’t mind it by the way. It’s a good way to know better each other. Maybe one day, i will record some training, matches video, but i need an inspiration for that. But in general, how does my ability to play, influenced things that I’m trying to tell? Every athlete that include structured overall strength training, and get his shit with food together, became more fit - will benefit from that, no doubt about it. Of course, constant TT practice is a must with that, since we talking about, does it helping became better TT player or not 🤓
This has become more of a back and forth than I think it deserves! 😂

From my POV, your level and experience in Table Tennis plays some part in understanding this (and other) concepts.

You are looking at it very black and white from a "fitness POV" where:

Player A = Very fit, great core strength, excellent athlete - Rating of 2500
Player B = Unfit, average strength, poor athlete - Rating of 2500

If the 2 players above played each other, your logic dictates that player A wins 100 times out of 100.

Whilst I'm not trying to say that fitness has *no* part to play in table tennis, I don't think it's anywhere near as important as it may seem until you start looking for that extra 1% when you get into the serious competitions/professional level.

I say that as someone who plays at a decent level in the UK, where I see many players who resemble "Player B" comfortably beat many players who resemble "Player A" despite their "skill level" being similar.

We can both agree that fitness absolutely doesn't hurt, so the advice should always be "get as fit as you can".

But I think it's more important at the semi pro/pro level, than the vast majority of levels below that.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
This has become more of a back and forth than I think it deserves! 😂

From my POV, your level and experience in Table Tennis plays some part in understanding this (and other) concepts.

You are looking at it very black and white from a "fitness POV" where:

Player A = Very fit, great core strength, excellent athlete - Rating of 2500
Player B = Unfit, average strength, poor athlete - Rating of 2500

If the 2 players above played each other, your logic dictates that player A wins 100 times out of 100.

Whilst I'm not trying to say that fitness has *no* part to play in table tennis, I don't think it's anywhere near as important as it may seem until you start looking for that extra 1% when you get into the serious competitions/professional level.

I say that as someone who plays at a decent level in the UK, where I see many players who resemble "Player B" comfortably beat many players who resemble "Player A" despite their "skill level" being similar.

We can both agree that fitness absolutely doesn't hurt, so the advice should always be "get as fit as you can".

But I think it's more important at the semi pro/pro level, than the vast majority of levels below that.
My logic absolutely not dictated that, what you point you see as my logic. I’m saying that overall better strength, fitness level, cardio as well - will do you a better player, and that’s it. Because it will improve you athletic performance and athletic abilities. Other than that, it helps you to have longer carrier and less injuries. The more we aging the more such things became important. But it’s not make you better than others like by a wave of magic stick. It’s just a matter of your own improvement, a part of it. You won’t starting to win all the matches, just because you benched 250 pounds, and eat clean for one week. If you saying it’s not giving you more than 1% on a pro level, than i can assume, that you never been there. Because its look like an opinion of a guy, that far from high end achievement. Chinese national players have their own athletic examination, that include overall strength and athletic exercises, every player should pass them to stay in a team. That’s why they are the best. But you can play in 3d English league without it, no doubts 😏

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!
I'm not pointing anything out - I'm just repeating what you said (if 2 players are of the same level.... the more athletic will win) - Your words not mine.

Either way, it matters not - I don't think the next Table Tennis superstar is reading this with conflicted emotions...... 😂

Like I said before, it's impossible to engage in a meaningful conversation unless we know your true level (and not the one you tell us).

There have been *so* many people who have been on this forum that would give advice to everyone and anyone, but when it came down to it, their level was low and their advice was flawed.

I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it's impossible to tell really.

Sounds like you are improving at an incredibly fast rate, so keep up the good work!

I'm just off to play a match in some lowly division of the English League.

I fancy my chances against the guy with no arms, but I think England's heaviest man might have the edge when it comes to the rallies! 😂

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
I'm not pointing anything out - I'm just repeating what you said (if 2 players are of the same level.... the more athletic will win) - Your words not mine.

Either way, it matters not - I don't think the next Table Tennis superstar is reading this with conflicted emotions...... 😂

Like I said before, it's impossible to engage in a meaningful conversation unless we know your true level (and not the one you tell us).

There have been *so* many people who have been on this forum that would give advice to everyone and anyone, but when it came down to it, their level was low and their advice was flawed.

I'm sure that's not the case for you, but it's impossible to tell really.

Sounds like you are improving at an incredibly fast rate, so keep up the good work!

I'm just off to play a match in some lowly division of the English League.

I fancy my chances against the guy with no arms, but I think England's heaviest man might have the edge when it comes to the rallies! 😂
If the advice is good, it's good regardless who said it. There is a positive correlation but not casual relationship between the quality of advice and the level of a player.

With the abundance of video tutorials on the internet, coming from players as good as Fang Bo, almost anyone can watch these videos and parrot some good advice. ChatGPT for example :)