Is body type giving any form of advantage?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
You
Amigo, i was played whole week, and yesterday for 3 hours, today is a rest day😏 plus i didn’t have any kind of tripod, because never had a reason to recording my matches. I have coach, training partners, and my own experience to analyze my gameplay. So it would take some time from me, to get a proper videos. We have a war in our country, so sometimes i can’t even train because, ruzzians destroying civilian electricity stations, and my gym didn’t have light. It is what it is 🫡
You're from Ukraine! Sorry for what is happening in your nation. I am on mobile and can't see your profile from mobile view, so sorry for that.

Stay safe and I pray that this madness end soon.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
You

You're from Ukraine! Sorry for what is happening in your nation. I am on mobile and can't see your profile from mobile view, so sorry for that.

Stay safe and I pray that this madness end soon.
Thank you, i will try as i can. There is really hard times that we are going through right now.

Training for me now is some kind of meditation, because when i really start to digging in the situation - it’s crazy how bad it can be for the mental health. But i strongly believe that Ukraine will prevail, and will stand no matter what, against this unprovoked and barbaric aggression. Ukrainians are very grateful for everyone who supporting our country in such times. And we will never forget it 💜

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Way before than training and diet, it's all about genetics. Because genetics is reponsible for
- your body type
- your body's ability to get a fast or slow metabolism, influencing your diet's results
- that body to be injury prone.

Being in a sick-leave because I had an accident on the way to the workshop for my 9 to 5 job, I know what genetics and injury prone means: I've got a type II/type III acromion that is über prone to injury, most of the people are type II, some are type III, the most dangerous one, and only 17% of people are type I, the less prone to injury. Basically a type II/III acromion will draw a sharp-edged arc under the rotator cuff, as it is a bone, you can't anything. So any minor trauma to this shoulder can result in long recovering.

There are basically 3 body-types:
- endomoprh: small, fat, but can also use that fat as energy to transform it as muscles. Endormorph people are the more muscled ones, that's why the Olympia and Mr Universe winners are most of the times small guys. Very hard to loose weight for those people with slow metabolism, they store fats and transform sugars in fat way faster that the others. Prone to injury on the legs, knee and ankle of course because of the weight.
- mesomorph: the average person not too small, not too tall, not too fatty or skinny. Those are the people that can do anything: loose or gain weight easily, not so much prone to injury.
- ectomorph: the damn tall and skinny person, that is also prone to injury and genetic disease, that's why the NBA is always skeptic about drafting tall guys over 7 feet. Very fast metabolism, they kinda burn instantly what they eat or drink ! that's why they have to eat a lot of carbohydrates like rice, pasta, bread, to get muscle. Endomorph must NOT eat those carbs, carbs must be in fruits and veggies for them.

But genetics matters on other levels: a guy like Benoit Paire in tennis, that barely trains (he hates training), that boozes a LOT, that does not take care of his diet AT ALL... he's damn fit and athletic ! he's more in the ectomorph zone, but doesn't seem to be so much out of the ATP tour, he even manages to beat ATP top 10 guys sometime ! on the other hand some guys like Djokoviv are injury prone, have to manage and control their diet, but they are more into the mesomorph zone.

Sure there are guidelines for diet, training and on and on, but you never know what genetics will do inside your body.

Reactions: Kopp
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Way before than training and diet, it's all about genetics. Because genetics is reponsible for
- your body type
- your body's ability to get a fast or slow metabolism, influencing your diet's results
- that body to be injury prone.

Being in a sick-leave because I had an accident on the way to the workshop for my 9 to 5 job, I know what genetics and injury prone means: I've got a type II/type III acromion that is über prone to injury, most of the people are type II, some are type III, the most dangerous one, and only 17% of people are type I, the less prone to injury. Basically a type II/III acromion will draw a sharp-edged arc under the rotator cuff, as it is a bone, you can't anything. So any minor trauma to this shoulder can result in long recovering.

There are basically 3 body-types:
- endomoprh: small, fat, but can also use that fat as energy to transform it as muscles. Endormorph people are the more muscled ones, that's why the Olympia and Mr Universe winners are most of the times small guys. Very hard to loose weight for those people with slow metabolism, they store fats and transform sugars in fat way faster that the others. Prone to injury on the legs, knee and ankle of course because of the weight.
- mesomorph: the average person not too small, not too tall, not too fatty or skinny. Those are the people that can do anything: loose or gain weight easily, not so much prone to injury.
- ectomorph: the damn tall and skinny person, that is also prone to injury and genetic disease, that's why the NBA is always skeptic about drafting tall guys over 7 feet. Very fast metabolism, they kinda burn instantly what they eat or drink ! that's why they have to eat a lot of carbohydrates like rice, pasta, bread, to get muscle. Endomorph must NOT eat those carbs, carbs must be in fruits and veggies for them.

But genetics matters on other levels: a guy like Benoit Paire in tennis, that barely trains (he hates training), that boozes a LOT, that does not take care of his diet AT ALL... he's damn fit and athletic ! he's more in the ectomorph zone, but doesn't seem to be so much out of the ATP tour, he even manages to beat ATP top 10 guys sometime ! on the other hand some guys like Djokoviv are injury prone, have to manage and control their diet, but they are more into the mesomorph zone.

Sure there are guidelines for diet, training and on and on, but you never know what genetics will do inside your body.
Actually, it’s a kind of a myth about ecto mezo endo etc…

Sure genetics does matter, but it’s only correlate with you height, reach, ability to recover, muscle composition. This is im telling you as a coach with 10+ years of experience in personal training. Percent of bodyfat are mostly the result of a nutrition that you usually take. Of course there are some exceptions, like genetically gifted dudes, that can ate 4 snickers a day and still having six packs abs. But no one gets fat only by genetics reasons.

I was all of a those bodytypes in certain period of my life. Biggest weight that i was having is 100+ kg, and was kinda endo that time, was build like a rock. Now im 74 kg and looks like mezo or even ecto. The difference between 100 and 74 is the type of a training i was focusing on, and an amount, and quality of a calories that i have take. In reality all those body composition a mixed and can be changed with proper training and diet. If you should train TT for 3-4 hours everyday, the amount of calories that you burn, would be so big, that’s it’s almost impossible to get fat. That’s why pros that you mentioned are stay in shape always - they train like a beasts. But those who have genetically (or performance enhanced drugs) better recovery will be less prone to injuries. With ability to handle large volume of trainings.

And certainly you don’t need a lot of muscle, to play TT. And can play it with either body composition

Last edited:
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
Interest work, posted in International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences
It is about intensities, heart rate when playing and training, vo2max, and also % of body fat of recreational, regional, and league players. This is really rare work, since there is not much information about it, by comparison with other sports

We can see significant difference at vo2max, and body fat % at all three of those group

I’m for example, do train always with heart rate Polar h10 monitor, since it very useful, for better recovery plan. I’m not only using it, while playing tourney

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Interesting conversations. I am a relatively new table tennis player (started in June of 2021). I've advanced to the median of my own local club. According to our league results, i'm one of the fastest advancing players at my club. I put in the work to train diligently, improve my weaknesses, fortify my strengths, study and implement effective tactics, and just overall be a student of the game.

I would also say that I am one of the most "athletic" players at my club. I lift weights at the gym in a circuit training type style. Do i think my athleticism has helped me advanced quickly (a relative term) in this sport? Absolutely. Has my athleticism helped me beat higher level players? perhaps, but it's not purely because of my athleticism. It's because my athleticism has allowed me to work on the things that I listed above that i believe improve my game. For example, you have to have a proper technique to loop against backspin. A great way to develop technique is to practice it thousand of times. if you are in better shape, you can practice longer and more diligently. Once you have developed the technique, you have to be able to implement that technique while on the move and off-balance. Being more athletic helps you train better on the move and off balance.

Another interesting point- i have migrated over to table tennis from another sport- soccer (or as some may say, futbal). Soccer, of course, requires technique and precision. athleticism provides a huge advantage in the sport. One example i always use is that a team of top in the country,10-year old soccer players would never beat an above average men's rec soccer (grown men) simply because the grown men are stronger and faster (more athletic) and the grown men would impose their will on the younger, weaker, less athletic, albeit way more talented in every way, top youth soccer team.

however, in table tennis, especially at the amateur level from what I have seen at the tournaments and in my own experience, athleticism does not matter *that much*. I've gotten my ass kicked by chubby dudes. By little kids. By all sorts of body types. It is quite humbling, and at my club, we often joke that in this sport, you can't judge a book by its cover, because the big fat book could really kick your ass lol.

And this brings me to my final point- at the highest level of this sport, there is no denying that athletic and physical prowess of the top athletes in table tennis. I remember seeing a video of the CNT playing soccer on the beach. all of these guys were in EXCELLENT shape. There is not a single person in the men's top 10 that is not a SUPREME athlete, not even counting their other-wordly pure talent for the sport. Even some of the top pro players that were posted in this thread as an example of "bigger" players were still in excellent psychical shape with way above average athletic ability. Wang Hao, even when he put on "some" weight still had extremely strong legs, and and extreme sense of balance and dexterity (both athletic characteristics). Or Liam Pitchford, this man is one of the skinnier top players, but he is agile, and extremely flexible. These athletic traits give him an ADVANTAGE in this sport, but are not the sole reason he is a top TT player in the world.

Of course, there is a limit to everything. In american football, it is common to see running backs to cut weight if they want to be faster and more agile, or put on muscle weight if they want to bulldoze their way through players more. Watch some videos of 360lbs linemen do cone drills. you wouldn't believe how amazingly these big men move with all the weight they have. They are undoubtedly supreme athletes. The best pro athletes will work extremely hard to construct their body into it's optimal shape and condition for peak performance in their chosen sport.

In Summary, there can be no denying that athleticism provides an advantage to table tennis players, or any sport for the matter. Look no further than the top 10 TT in the world as proof. However, in any sport, professional athletes are more of the EXCEPTION to the rules, rather than being the rules. There is a reason why they are paid to play their sports, and compete at a level that the vast majority never will. These professional athletes have the tangibles AND the intangibles. That is why they are the top in their sport. At the amateur. to high amateur level, there are so many factors that can make a player highly competitive or not. There are lots of examples of "unathletic" players competing and succeeding against more classically "athletic" players although i would argue they are displaying other athletic traits such as pure strength or reaction time. In this sport, being the fastest or strongest doesn't mean you will be the best player, even more so than compared to other sports like soccer or american football.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Interesting conversations. I am a relatively new table tennis player (started in June of 2021). I've advanced to the median of my own local club. According to our league results, i'm one of the fastest advancing players at my club. I put in the work to train diligently, improve my weaknesses, fortify my strengths, study and implement effective tactics, and just overall be a student of the game.

I would also say that I am one of the most "athletic" players at my club. I lift weights at the gym in a circuit training type style. Do i think my athleticism has helped me advanced quickly (a relative term) in this sport? Absolutely. Has my athleticism helped me beat higher level players? perhaps, but it's not purely because of my athleticism. It's because my athleticism has allowed me to work on the things that I listed above that i believe improve my game. For example, you have to have a proper technique to loop against backspin. A great way to develop technique is to practice it thousand of times. if you are in better shape, you can practice longer and more diligently. Once you have developed the technique, you have to be able to implement that technique while on the move, and/or off balance. Being more athletics helps you train better on the move and off balance.

Another interesting point- i have migrated over to table tennis from another sport- soccer (or as some may say, futbal). Soccer, of course, requires technique and precision. athleticism provides a huge advantage in the sport. One example i always use is that a team of top 10 year old soccer players would never beat an above average men's rec soccer (grown men) simply because the grown men are stronger and faster (more athletic) and the grown men would impose their will on the younger, weaker, less athletic, albeit way more talented in every way, top youth soccer team.

however, in table tennis, especially at the am. level from what I have seen at the tournaments and in my own experience, athleticism does not matter *that much*. I've gotten my ass kicked by chubby dudes. By little kids. By all sorts of body types. It is quite humbling and at my club, we often joke that in this sport, you can't judge a book by its cover, because the big fat book could really kick your ass lol.

And this brings me to my final point- at the highest level of this sport, there is no denying that athletic and physical prowess of the top athletes in table tennis. I remember seeing a video of the CNT playing soccer on the beach. all of these guys were in EXCELLENT shape. There is not a single person in the men's top 10 that is not a SUPREME athlete, not even counting their other-wordly pure talent for the sport. Even some of the top pro players that were posted in this thread as an example of "bigger" players were still in excellent psychical shape with way above average athletic ability. Wang Hao, even when he put on "some" weight still had extremely strong legs, and and extreme sense of balance and dexterity (both athletic characteristics). Or Liam Pitchford, this man is one of the skinnier top players, but he is agile, and extremely flexible. These athletic traits give him an ADVANTAGE in this sport, but are not the sole reason he is a top TT player in the world.

Of course, there is a limit to everything. In american football, it is common to see running backs to cut weight if they want to be faster and more agile, or put on muscle weight if they want to bulldoze their way through players more. Watch some videos of 360lbs linemen do cone drills. you wouldn't believe how amazingly these big men move with all the weight they have. They are undoubtedly supreme athletes. The best pro athletes will work extremely hard to construct their body into it's optimal shape and condition for peak performance in their chosen sport.

In Summary, there can be no denying that athleticism provides an advantage to table tennis players, or any sport for the matter. Look no further than the top 10 TT in the world as proof. However, in any sport, professional athletes are more of the EXCEPTION to the rules, rather than being the rules. There is a reason why they are paid to play their sports, and compete at a level that the vast majority never will. These professional athletes have the tangibles AND the intangibles. That is why they are the top in their sport. At the am. to high am level, there are so many factors that can make a player highly competitive or not. There are lots of examples of "unathletic" players competing and succeeding against more classically "athletic" players although i would argue they are displaying other athletic traits such as pure strength or reaction time. In this sport, being the fastest or strongest doesn't mean you will be the best player, even more so than compared to other sports like soccer or american football.
Best take thus far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Actually, it’s a kind of a myth about ecto mezo endo etc…

Sure genetics does matter, but it’s only correlate with you height, reach, ability to recover, muscle composition. This is im telling you as a coach with 10+ years of experience in personal training. Percent of bodyfat are mostly the result of a nutrition that you usually take. Of course there are some exceptions, like genetically gifted dudes, that can ate 4 snickers a day and still having six packs abs. But no one gets fat only by genetics reasons.

I was all of a those bodytypes in certain period of my life. Biggest weight that i was having is 100+ kg, and was kinda endo that time, was build like a rock. Now im 74 kg and looks like mezo or even ecto. The difference between 100 and 74 is the type of a training i was focusing on, and an amount, and quality of a calories that i have take. In reality all those body composition a mixed and can be changed with proper training and diet. If you should train TT for 3-4 hours everyday, the amount of calories that you burn, would be so big, that’s it’s almost impossible to get fat. That’s why pros that you mentioned are stay in shape always - they train like a beasts. But those who have genetically (or performance enhanced drugs) better recovery will be less prone to injuries. With ability to handle large volume of trainings.

And certainly you don’t need a lot of muscle, to play TT. And can play it with either body composition
look at recent FZD legs and weight problems, or LJK being fat and overweight: those are both the archetype af the endo guys having issues when it comes to stabilize their weight, they're also the most muscular guys in the CNT, you'll never see ma Long, Xu Xin or Lin Gaoyuan being overweight...

It's well documented in the fitness and body-building business that endo guys are prone to fat gains but also muscle gains, that's why they have to do a lot of HIIT cardio type training to get lean muscle mass.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
A bit out of topic here - although a high level TT can be achieved with subpar fitness, a good fit strong body is very valuable in life's many other aspects and significantly increases quality of life. This is why I too like to hit the gym and play aggressive table tennis to get a good workout.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
It has been five pages now,

So the conclusion can we all agree that:

1. Being athletic is a boon for playing TT but it is not the be all and end all of it.
2. TT is a game of skill and strategy as well so a pure athletically gifted person can still lose to someone less athletic but more skilled and tactically sound.
3. TT is a game after all and not a pure athletic event like long jump / sprint / discus throwing etc.
4. Game involves strategy & tactics.

Last edited:
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022

I would also say that I am one of the most "athletic" players at my club. I lift weights at the gym in a circuit training type style. Do i think my athleticism has helped me advanced quickly (a relative term) in this sport? Absolutely. Has my athleticism helped me beat higher level players? perhaps, but it's not purely because of my athleticism. It's because my athleticism has allowed me to work on the things that I listed above that i believe improve my game. For example, you have to have a proper technique to loop against backspin. A great way to develop technique is to practice it thousand of times. if you are in better shape, you can practice longer and more diligently. Once you have developed the technique, you have to be able to implement that technique while on the move and off-balance. Being more athletic helps you train better on the move and off balance.

Another interesting point- i have migrated over to table tennis from another sport- soccer (or as some may say, futbal). Soccer, of course, requires technique and precision. athleticism provides a huge advantage in the sport. One example i always use is that a team of top in the country,10-year old soccer players would never beat an above average men's rec soccer (grown men) simply because the grown men are stronger and faster (more athletic) and the grown men would impose their will on the younger, weaker, less athletic, albeit way more talented in every way, top youth soccer team.

however, in table tennis, especially at the amateur level from what I have seen at the tournaments and in my own experience, athleticism does not matter *that much*. I've gotten my ass kicked by chubby dudes. By little kids. By all sorts of body types. It is quite humbling, and at my club, we often joke that in this sport, you can't judge a book by its cover, because the big fat book could really kick your ass lol.

In Summary, there can be no denying that athleticism provides an advantage to table tennis players, or any sport for the matter. Look no further than the top 10 TT in the world as proof. However, in any sport, professional athletes are more of the EXCEPTION to the rules, rather than being the rules. There is a reason why they are paid to play their sports, and compete at a level that the vast majority never will. These professional athletes have the tangibles AND the intangibles. That is why they are the top in their sport. At the amateur. to high amateur level, there are so many factors that can make a player highly competitive or not. There are lots of examples of "unathletic" players competing and succeeding against more classically "athletic" players although i would argue they are displaying other athletic traits such as pure strength or reaction time. In this sport, being the fastest or strongest doesn't mean you will be the best player, even more so than compared to other sports like soccer or american football.
Well written. I couldn't agree more.
however, in table tennis, especially at the amateur level from what I have seen at the tournaments and in my own experience, athleticism does not matter *that much*. I've gotten my ass kicked by chubby dudes.
Again, couldn't agree more. But like you mentioned earlier,
my athleticism has allowed me to work ... that i believe improve my game.
and after you've improved, you should kick their ass back, right? In other words, if you have the same skills as the chubby dudes, you will beat them.

says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
look at recent FZD legs and weight problems, or LJK being fat and overweight: those are both the archetype af the endo guys having issues when it comes to stabilize their weight, they're also the most muscular guys in the CNT, you'll never see ma Long, Xu Xin or Lin Gaoyuan being overweight...

It's well documented in the fitness and body-building business that endo guys are prone to fat gains but also muscle gains, that's why they have to do a lot of HIIT cardio type training to get lean muscle mass.
It can be very arguable comment since you don’t know what are diet of FZD and LJK looks like. How much calories per day they intake, what is the quality of those. Do they follow it strictly or nah? In this case i bet they don’t. Maybe that’s why Ma Long still is the king trough all these years, and so stable, because he is so disciplined even with nutrition, not only training.

So we don’t know exact reason, why they are little bit overweighted, but my guess their are not so strict with their diet plan. Again, im telling you it, as a personal coach with a lot of experience and a national, and Europe champs students, I worked in fitness industry for decades - no one just getting fat just from “genetics”. Genetics only gives you height, reach, muscle composition, and ability to recover. And when client came to you, there are very few of them, that you can strictly putting to one of those categories. In reality all of those body types are mixed.

When i have to ate 5 times a day for years, and only wrestled and lifted huge weights i was 100kg gorilla. And from fitness perspective and the theory of “endo ecto mezo”, i was a pure endo type.
After i finishing my pro fighting carrier, and started to eat 3 times a day like a normal human being, plus 3-4 hours of TT almost every day - i was lowering my weight to 74 kg, and right now i look like pure mezo. So the point is, there is some sort of body compositions, but they can be easily changed with discipline and knowledge 🙂
E560CF17-4707-4E58-AAB7-9E8C2F7F98CD.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kopp and Richie
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦
As for the ability to recover it’s getting worse with age, but you can control it as well. There are ways to doing it nowadays, and they are not so hard. First of all you need a heart rate monitor, after each training you will see the impact of the training on your body, and getting clue how long does it take to recover from it. Better recovery - lesser injuries you will have. More you can train.
You can overtrain and get an injury from 2 or 3 trainings per week if you constantly overdoing it, or smartly using heart rate monitor you can train 5-6 times a week with no problems at all, by controlling levels of intensities of them. And there is absolutely no point, what type of a body composition you have. The rules of intensity are works equal for all of them

Last edited:
says Glory to Ukraine 🇺🇦

Ah and no one in pro bodybuilding don’t do HIIT, because there is no need to do it. It’s just an another way to burn some calories, you can do it by steady riding on a bike machine, tread mill, that’s what pro bb boys are doing to burn some fat.
The perfect heart rate zone for fat burning is about 120-125 bpm, when in HIIT you bpm will goes trough the roof - so it not so perfect for such goal, but it can definitely burn some.
So when we’re talking about FZD or LJK i bet they train like a beasts, and should burn a tons of calories, and they still have fat? There are only reason for this remaining - bad structured diet, or a good one but they not getting strict to it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Ah and no one in pro bodybuilding don’t do HIIT, because there is no need to do it. It’s just an another way to burn some calories, you can do it by steady riding on a bike machine, tread mill, that’s what pro bb boys are doing to burn some fat.
The perfect heart rate zone for fat burning is about 120-125 bpm, when in HIIT you bpm will goes trough the roof - so it not so perfect for such goal, but it can definitely burn some.
So when we’re talking about FZD or LJK i bet they train like a beasts, and should burn a tons of calories, and they still have fat? There are only reason for this remaining - bad structured diet, or a good one but they not getting strict to it
This reminds me of the time FZD said he likes eating nutella.. :ROFLMAO:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
and after you've improved, you should kick their ass back, right? In other words, if you have the same skills as the chubby dudes, you will beat them.
Thank you sir. haha well, I think we can all agree that if the skills are similar, it will be a toss up!

I think if i would add one more point, I believe that athleticism adds to a players table tennis CEILING. They call it a ceiling because that is the highest point you can reach, not that you would actually reach that point. It takes a lot of work too reach your ceiling. What are some other things that add to your ceiling in this sport? Your work ethic. Your mental fortitude. Your drive to be better. Your body's ability to recover from both training and injuries. Your coach. Your training partners. Your diet. I'm sure there are some things I am missing but those are a few that I can think of off the top of my head.

Many players never reach their ceiling. They get injured and can never play to the top of their ability. Of they have all the talent in the world and they squander it away with no drive. Or they have all the talent in the world but they are never discovered by the proper coach. There are many factors. The top pro athletes are people who have reached their ceiling, and the most exceptional of all the athletes are the ones who can constantly break through their ceiling on to the next levels. Look at Timo Boll. This man defies so many things you would think is possible in an athlete. He's still competing at a top level at his age. it's unbelievable.

Anyways, I digress.....

Reactions: Kopp and Richie