Is there a vast difference in 'FEEL' between the different arylate carbon blades?

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
To make one thing clear.. It's YOU that's got the feel, not the blade.. And to answere your question, yes, different blades have different feel or sweetspot or whatever you call it.. Some people say Stiga Clipper is the best, some say ZJK Superduper ZLC is the best, some people say a Defplay senso is the best.. For me, the best is Maze Offensive ALC :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
The idea of "more feel" is very subjective. IMO there are different kinds of feel, and you can have more or less of any of them.

The popular ALC line - TBS, TB ALC, Viscaria, ZJK ALC - all have a medium-hard crisp feel (koto outer), low vibrations (some might say numb).
The Maze has a slightly softer feel (limba outer), still low vibrations.
The KLHS, Reygundo, Garaydia ALC have a medium-soft feel (hinoki outer), low vibrations, bit stiffer than the previous two types.
The Innerforce ALC has a softer feel than the Maze, and a more woody feel due to the ALC being buried deeper.

Natural variations in the production runs and in blade weight can have a big impact on feel too. I've had Mazes which feel harder than some of my Boll Spirits. Lighter blades can feel a bit hollow - for example, compare lighter Viscarias from recent batches to heavier, older ones with a more solid feel.

The hinoki blades are a bit of an outlier, but for the rest of them the differences aren't profound. They're all good blades. Don't overthink it - try a few out at a club if you can, but buying one is a pretty safe step because they're all great and resale values are high.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
To make one thing clear.. It's YOU that's got the feel, not the blade.. And to answere your question, yes, different blades have different feel or sweetspot or whatever you call it.. Some people say Stiga Clipper is the best, some say ZJK Superduper ZLC is the best, some people say a Defplay senso is the best.. For me, the best is Maze Offensive ALC :)

he's asking if theres a big difference in feel between aralyte carbon blades. for example between boll alc, viscaria, and boll spirit.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Here's the thing about this question. Yes there can be big differences in feel of the arylate carbon blades. not only between the different types of woods they're using.

Baal once had a test with timo boll spirits and viscarias. Imagine you had 5 of each and tested them all. The playing characteristics would be lined up completely randomly. With this in mind you could have 20 different timo boll spirits until you finally find one you like.

he did this test because the viscaria and timo boll spirit have the same composition.

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
he's asking if theres a big difference in feel between aralyte carbon blades. for example between boll alc, viscaria, and boll spirit.

I realize that, and I answered his question by saying (in short terms): Yes, they do, but it's also up to the player. Some players say that all ALC blades feels the same, some players don't. And if you use the word "feel" you have to be very careful, because it's you that feels the blade, not the other way around.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Do the different Arylate carbon blades differ in terms of feel? Are there certain ones that have more feel than others?

Please stop opening so many threads! Blade feel is not a science. You borrow and hit with blades over time whenever you meet someone and form your own opinions.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Is there a vast difference in 'FEEL' between the different arylate carbon bla...

Oh, I posted this in the other thread and it was supposed to be here:

==

First person to get there:

I nominate ridderz65 for the most annoying EJ poster on multiple forums.

These are things you practice - there is no ultimate blade, just the one you build your skills with! You've asked similar questions over and over and it's getting real annoying. And you've opened multiple threads to repeat this kind of nonsense over and over.

Wasn't this the same thread that got hijacked by the goon squad already. Okay, basically the same idea.

The answers so far have been good. I guess I will stay out of the entertainment business with this post at least. Okay....one moment....National socks and underwear on....go time.

I think this has already been said a few times. In fact it was said plenty in that other thread about the best something or other.

If you take 10 Viscarias, they will all feel different. Even if you take 10 Viscarias that are the same weight, they will each feel a bit different.

If you take 10 TB ALCs, same deal.

10 TBSs, guess what! I am betting you know the answer.

So, now, if you take 10 Viscarias, 10 TB ALCs and 10 TBSs, you know what you will find, miraculously, they all feel enough the same that the answer to your question is:

They are all different.....no wait, they are all the same....different.....same....different, same, duck season, rabbit season, duck season, rabbit season......I say it's duck season and and I say fire!

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Is there a vast difference in 'FEEL' between the different arylate carbon bla...

This too:

==

Oh well, I thought I would stay out of be entertainment business.

One thing that can be said and has already:

Whatever blade you choose, if it is a decently good blade like any of the blades you are looking at, after you use it for a few months, THAT ONE WILL BE THE RIGHT ONE FOR YOU!

Think of it like the wands in Harry Potter: the wand chooses the wizard and without the allegiance of the wand the wizard's magic is much less powerful.

As you use a blade and get a feel for playing with it, and establish a connection to it, you start knowing how it works and developing your game, your touch and your technique around that blade.

Choose something, get it over with. And start developing that bond, that connection, with the weapon you choose.

All the blades you are looking at are good pieces of equipment. What I am talking about WILL happen regardless of which blade you decide on.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Table tennis is about adjusting to the equipment............but it's nice to start with the right equipment. That's why these forums were created for some good advice or at least explain differences to figure out what you may dislike and not happy to endure/adjust to.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

See, here is the thing. In making a thread asking questions like, "What Is The Ultimate Looping Blade....."or the question from the title of this thread, what ridderz has done is ask an unuseful, and more importantly, an unanswerable question that is perfect for getting people to give answers like this:

"Viscaria is best"
"ZJK ALC is best"
"TBS is best"

So let me rephrase what I said above. It is not so much that the question is unanswerable. But that the answers would fall into two categories. Someone just lists a blade they like. Someone explains why there is no such thing as Ultimate or explains that feel is personal. And then the third category (of two) is when someone has seen the same basic question asked in the same basic way with slightly different words multiple times and starts clowning around.

The answers also aren't entirely unuseful. Hearing 10 people say they like the TBS gives you the information that that blade may be a good one.

But when you have already done this multiple times and on multiple forums and have not understood the high quality answers of people who explain how there are many blades that would be good for looping and touch play, or that there are many ALC blades that are very similar but have slight differences that all boil down to personal preference, and they the person is still not understanding the information and asking the same kinds of questions again, then, perhaps there is a disconnect in the OP's ability to take in and process simple information like the fact that what different people like is somewhat subjective but there are plenty of high quality blades out there.

I think there have been lots of good answers to these threads. More than enough. But everyone is going to have different answers and if the OP can't sort out and process the information into something meaningful from the numerous previous threads he started then the repetition of themes from the same OP makes you start to scratch your head and wonder.

So, yeah, a forum is a great place for asking questions to help people understand more about equipment.

But it appears from the number of threads like this on multiple forums that these questions are not really conducive to helping the OP understand much of anything.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So, yeah, a forum is a great place for asking questions to help people understand more about equipment.

But it appears from the number of threads like this that these questions are not really conducive to helping the OP understand much of anything. P

The head scratcher for me was when he said he was buying MX-S and Baracuda and asked me (who was obviously the person who recommended those rubbers) what I thought of them. At that point, I realized that I had finally met someone with worse ADD than myself.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Do the different Arylate carbon blades differ in terms of feel? Are there certain ones that have more feel than others?

Vast? No. But they are different. Don't underestimate the importance of handle shape and weight, that is the main difference but it can be quite large. People sometimes figure that if the underlying blade is similar, that is all that matters. Not true. The handle shape matters a lot.

When you say "more feel" than others, the answer is feel for what? Short game? Spin from middle distance? They are all pretty fast but no excessively so, and they all dampen out most of the high frequency vibrations. They are all stiff compared to most all-wood 5-ply blades but not excessively stiff, and none of the have the glassy feel of a pure carbon.

Most people can probably adjust from one to another and play pretty much the same way but that doesn't mean they won't have preferences and you can only find yours by trying them. They are all designed for the same style of play.

Here's the thing about this question. Yes there can be big differences in feel of the arylate carbon blades. not only between the different types of woods they're using.

Baal once had a test with timo boll spirits and viscarias. Imagine you had 5 of each and tested them all. The playing characteristics would be lined up completely randomly. With this in mind you could have 20 different timo boll spirits until you finally find one you like.

he did this test because the viscaria and timo boll spirit have the same composition.

Hi,

where do i find the result of this test, if you don't mind?

cheers,

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I am not sure I would use the word "test" because that would imply I actually measured something scientifically and I haven't done that. I have about eight Viscarias and two TBS that I have collected over about a ten year period, plus a couple of ZJK-ALC. Both TBS have black tags, and they are very much like my two black tag Viscarias and noticeably different than the newer Viscarias Weight may be part of it but it is not the only thing. They really are pretty similar. TB-ALC feels a little more different to me. New ZJK-ALC is actually a bit more like an old Viscaria than a new Viscaria at least it feels that way to me.

But, and this is the main thing, they are all really good blades! I have preferences but I could be happy playing with any of them if I give it some time.

Butterfly discovered something pretty amazing when they first developed ALC blades, and they keep coming up with different variations on the formula. Some people like zylon, but I will always personally prefer ALC.

I am still in the middle of my Straight handle experiment. Right now I am using a ZJK-ALC ST. I wish the one I am using was just a touch faster, maybe. Probably it doesn't matter.

I am not sure I would use the word "test" because that would imply I actually measured something scientifically and I haven't done that. I have about eight Viscarias and two TBS that I have collected over about a ten year period, plus a couple of ZJK-ALC. Both TBS have black tags, and they are very much like my two black tag Viscarias and noticeably different than the newer Viscarias Weight may be part of it but it is not the only thing. They really are pretty similar. TB-ALC feels a little more different to me. New ZJK-ALC is actually a bit more like an old Viscaria than a new Viscaria at least it feels that way to me.

But, and this is the main thing, they are all really good blades! I have preferences but I could be happy playing with any of them if I give it some time.

Butterfly discovered something pretty amazing when they first developed ALC blades, and they keep coming up with different variations on the formula. Some people like zylon, but I will always personally prefer ALC.

I am still in the middle of my Straight handle experiment. Right now I am using a ZJK-ALC ST. I wish the one I am using was just a touch faster, maybe. Probably it doesn't matter.

Hi baal,

Very nice!

Mind you share with us your experience of choosing a good Viscaria blade? Look, feel, sound? That would save us tons of time and money from switching 1 to another to finally catch a good blade.

Also, in your opinion, how's the MM vs. Vis? which one is more appropriate for the 40+ ball? Let's take the Nitakku 40+ for example.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Nikoli, Part of the reason that I have quite a few of these blades is that I don't have a good system for getting a good one. I would order from a company, they would send me one and I would hope for the best. The problem is, I don't like many of the new ones, so the really good ones I have are black tag ones and you have to pay a lot of money for them. I was willing to do that.

The ones I like best have fish scale outer ply, a lower pitch when you bounce them against your head, 89-92 gram weight, some flex, minimal vibration. The only way I know to make sure you get one like that is used, on line, where you can see a photo before hand. Generally, those features all go together.

Maze blade is quite different from a Viscaria in terms of handle shape. That matters a lot. I think both blades are excellent for the NP40+ ball. Frankly, the only way to know if you would like one or the other is to hit with them. One guy I play with a lot, he loves his old Maze blade, and he is a very good player. Neither one of us would want to trade blades.

Let me also say this, some of the new ZJK-ALC blades (NOT the one with the blue dragon, the newer one) actually seem better to me than some of the new Viscaria blades, they actually are a bit more like older Viscaria blades.