ITTF Trailing "No-Let" Rule

This user has no status.
These old men in armchairs that doesnt actually play the game at a high/semi-high level called the ITTF need to stop making idiotic changes to the game.
The game was perfected at the 40mm ball change, with the new plastic balls the physical prowess/stamina requirement of the players will now be more obvious than ever thanks to the reduced spins and EVEN SLOWER SPEED.
And then now this. I dont even get whats the point of this no-let rule. It doesnt make the game more spectacular like the plastic balls somehow achieved, and it gives a definite advantage to taller players who can react quicker due to their long leg span when the ball makes a sudden drop from its original trajectory.
Also the ball's spin changes dramatically when it touches a net, IN A NON-LINEAR WAY. The serve will probably be a straight point anyways.

ITTF needs to stop making rule changes while theyre on narcotics and start listening to the pro-players or even the amateurs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS. Anything making the games more luck-dependent / or making the luck a bigger factor is a negative.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Why don't you stop playing Table Tennis god, and just focus on marketing more, getting table tennis more friendly to TV companies, and audience? More videos targeting people who've never watched tt before??I am so depressed for ITTF.

Well this is kind of a nice experience. However most of u are negative, I don't think this is ''that'' drastic (maybe also because I am 2 meters tall).
Let me elaborate:
The fact that a ''lucky player hits a serve on the net and scores directly is not happening that often. To be more precise, it's more common to hit the ball on the edge of the table and score a point with that.
The second point is in benefit of the gameplay. Please be honest, how many of you have returned a serve which hit the net slightly, while there was no benefit for either player, but you still had to redo the shot?

Positive point now is there is no loss of focus to either side when a serve hits the net. And reffs can't argue with players about this (come to think of it, it's much more distracting when a reffs calls a let-serve or not, and influences the play)
I mean, yes it's a change, and yes it could be a bold test. But see things in perspective and don't make it look like the whole sport is now different. 38 -> 40mm balls was a bigger continuous impact, and noone is blaming that anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Nothing to worry about, this rule is being tried because Adanan Sahara serves a lot of unreturnable let serves and has ambitions to become world champion :p
While I could under stand the plastic ball thing, since my research centre had been getting hard time to import any flammable stuff, and also from technology point of view. But this no let rule just kill my brain...

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Actually I think it's a very nice metaphor haha. ITTF (the hat man) looks at TT (the clock) through the wrong perspective (the salt container) and so puts insane rules (jam) on top to adjust it.

Yeah maybe I'm on drugs too

I do not think you are on illegal drugs and I do not think you have missed taking any prescription meds from your doctor.

Often, Der_Echte writes like a drunken monkey, so anybody or any organization can take it with a ton of salt if I call the ones making decisions or influencing them drunken monkeys or ask if they are off their prescription meds. I have compared my national association's decisions on some matters to that more than once.

Reactions: elrigo99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2014
This is garbage IMO. It debalances the game, make luck a higher part of it and doesn´t look nice. Instead they should change the rule to: Anytime the ball hits the top of the net (yes during game too), the game point shall be replayed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Amazing, wonder if he can perform this whole match long.
Actually would love to try and return this serve by timing the top of the net position of the ball on the way back with a firm flick. Should be able to, but its kinda hard I guess :D

After reading your previous post above and seeing how naive you are, I wanted to film this exact service and ask you to try and return it. Good that Halloffame has shared this video, save me time to make a video.

No matter how tall you are, chances of you will get a part of your body other than the playing arm to touch the table, which will be a direct penalty point awarded to the opponent or chance of moving the table, also a direct penalty point to the opponent.

I have covered this before.
People can train to do a let service, and with "enough" underspin, one can get the ball not to continue bouncing towards the receiver.
Add a bit of side spin, one can get the ball to bounce along the line of the net.
With good placement, one can get the ball to land by the net post too

So table tennis has simply gone from rallies to service tricks...
Great job ITTF,
Circus is in town

Last edited:
Reactions: xuanviet
This user has no status.
What?! That's nonsense! Players would start training services to make every ball hit the net and fall on the opponents side. I think that it wouldn't be a big problem if you spent 8 hours daily training.

Yes, I think so. I can't understand this bullshit..
I am just asking why?
WHY?!
is there any problem, that it is repeaten?...

After reading your previous post above and seeing how naive you are, I wanted to film this exact service and ask you to try and return it. Good that Halloffame has shared this video, save me time to make a video.

No matter how tall you are, chances of you will get a part of your body other than the playing arm to touch the table, which will be a direct penalty point awarded to the opponent or chance of moving the table, also a direct penalty point to the opponent.

I have covered this before.
People can train to do a let service, and with "enough" underspin, one can get the ball not to continue bouncing towards the receiver.
Add a bit of side spin, one can get the ball to bounce along the line of the net.
With good placement, one can get the ball to land by the net post too

So table tennis has simply gone from rallies to service tricks...
Great job ITTF,
Circus is in town

I wouldn't call it naive, rather opportunistic I would say ;)

You're right about the game going to service tricks in stead of rally's. However, I would guess that this rule will not be forces through by the ITTF, and if they try, it will be very hard for them to get all players in on it. After all the players are the ones making the game and not the people from behind their desk. So we will see how it works out.

Reactions: ZhangJikeTheBest