Looking for a new faster blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Next Level,
Not trying to derail this thread, but I'm just a little curious about your comments. Is Baracuda max much slower than MX-S 1.9? More controllable?
Thanks.
Slower might be the wrong word, but in for the way I play, yes. Baracuda is much softer and acts like a slow Tenergy 05 - the key difference is that with Baracuda, I don't have to swing hard all the time to get spin, and this was something that I had used MX-S to work on (as well as Big Dipper before it). But now I move much better and faster, I was handicapping myself by having to swing so hard all the time. Baracuda slows my ball down the way Tenergy 05 does (MX-S does not because of the arc being lower unless you swing really hard when the arc is fantastic). And at the level I play now, I realize that spin is the most important thing, both for beating my opponents and for how I play.

Because Baracuda has less catapult than Tenergy 05, I can drive backspin better with it. Vs MX-S, it is a wash for me, as Baracuda is slower, but it is easier to use to slow spin backspin.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We ought to confuse him with a double blonde test of him hitting with two doctored Der_Echte specials... that outta throw him for a loop.

I am always up for a double blonde test. Redheads and brunettes, I'll test them too. As long as they're cute I'm up for the test.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Now I'm really tempted to go with what one would think would be the most logical step to begin with.. to go for the Stiga Offensive Classic, then I know that there will pretty much just be an increase in speed and not that many other things to think about. Even the handle I assume is pretty much the same then which I'm really fond of the thin flared handle on my Allround.

Then depending on how things go over the course of a year or maybe even two I can think about getting another different blade. Thank you all once again I've learnt a lot about blades from this topic and been forced to go research carbon blades, all wood blades, 5 and 7 ply etc etc which will help me make a decision for next time haha, hopefully not too soon.

I swear with each post though the decision just gets more and more difficult, which isn't a bad thing because putting no thought into this could only have lead to bad things happening!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That would be a totally logical choice. Go for it.

And, yes, you can get the same exact handle. What do you have: a Master Flare (smaller flare)? Or a Legend Flare (larger flare)? They are both great handles. You Allround Classic should say Master or Legend on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanzakapa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 6 reviews
If you want a faster blade Richie, I would recommend the Timo Boll Spirit, it works well with tenergy 05 on the forehand, if you say you don't like that then there are alternatives. E.g the Viscaria is a good blade, the Michael maze blade is similar to the boll spirit, the junk mizutani Zlc is good and the Zhang jike Alc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
That would be a totally logical choice. Go for it.

And, yes, you can get the same exact handle. What do you have: a Master Flare (smaller flare)? Or a Legend Flare (larger flare)? They are both great handles. You Allround Classic should say Master or Legend on it.

I have the Master flare.

And Tom, out of the really fast blades I was first interested in, from reading up I liked Liu Shiwen the most.. but I really have no idea how that'd play out.. seems like it'd be too fast for me at least for now.

Now I'm really tempted to go with what one would think would be the most logical step to begin with.. to go for the Stiga Offensive Classic, then I know that there will pretty much just be an increase in speed and not that many other things to think about. Even the handle I assume is pretty much the same then which I'm really fond of the thin flared handle on my Allround.

Then depending on how things go over the course of a year or maybe even two I can think about getting another different blade. Thank you all once again I've learnt a lot about blades from this topic and been forced to go research carbon blades, all wood blades, 5 and 7 ply etc etc which will help me make a decision for next time haha, hopefully not too soon.

I swear with each post though the decision just gets more and more difficult, which isn't a bad thing because putting no thought into this could only have lead to bad things happening!
That's what happened when too much info entered your head, I once on your shoes, and know how that feeling is.
But the thing is keep exploring and testing all the new blade so that you can get a better idea of new pingpong technology.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Sorry to bring this up again but a japanese woman at my club had the Nittaku Acoustic which I got to play with for a bit and it felt really good. I will try it more either this sunday or the following sunday. Does anyone have any comments on it? Read a fair amount of reviews too. She also gave me a website - tt-japan.net where it's much cheaper than over here.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry to bring this up again but a japanese woman at my club had the Nittaku Acoustic which I got to play with for a bit and it felt really good. I will try it more either this sunday or the following sunday. Does anyone have any comments on it? Read a fair amount of reviews too. She also gave me a website - tt-japan.net where it's much cheaper than over here.

Richie, I suggest you read the suggestions in this post I made:

Carbon makes it harder to feel what you are doing. TBS has carbon. Based on the issue in touch play, I, personally, would not recommend that. RXO is slower, lighter, has much more feeling.

But if the Primorac felt like a good speed--especially if it felt faster with H3 on it--then, based on your touch game needing work, NextLevel's earlier statement about the Stratus Power Wood looks like a better suggestion.

I am going to amend my recommendations:

In no particular order:

1) Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
2) OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
3) Nittaku Acoustic
4) Stiga Offensive Classic

If you got a blade that is faster than one of these it would hinder the development of your touch game.

For you, blades like the TBS and the RXO would feel great for rallying, but then you would play matches and lose more often because you need a decent amount more skill to do the touch play of the first 3 balls with a blade in that speed class. You would be giving away free points with pushes that did not have sufficient touch giving your opponent many more free kills. And it would make it harder for your backhand to develop the skill of looping with more touch and power.

In short, the Nittaku Acoustic would be perfect for you. But, you should know, it is about $140.00 more than the Stiga Offensive Classic. It is better than it. But definitely expensive. The OSP Virtuoso (Off-) is a lot like the Nittaku Acoustic. Those are the two best, but also the most expensive blades I listed. The Stratus Power Wood and the Offensive Classic are not quite as good in some ways but just as good in most ways and they cost 1/3 the price.

There are times when I don't mind paying a decent amount more for something a little better. In the end, that choice is really up to you. Any of the 4 blades I listed in the post I just quoted would be excellent regardless of which one.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Yes I saw your suggestion which is also why I posted about it, just wondered if there was anything more to be said about it other than being recommended :p. Like, what are the differences between that and allround or offensive classic, but I guess I can feel that myself if I try it out more.
And thank you, I don't mind spending a little bit, keep in my mind I won't get it until probably around january and it seems to be a lot cheaper on tt-japan.net than pretty much all the UK websites at least.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The price on the Nittaku Acoustic may be higher than it should be but it is one of the best all wood blades in its speed class. What makes it special is that it has more and better feeling than most blades. So, even among all wood blades, it has better feeling than most. The extra dwell time and the flex of the blade also make it ideal for spinning the ball.

The OSP Virtuoso Off- would be right in the same class. Those two are two blades that have better feeling than almost anything else out there. And they are both about the same speed.

The woods used in each are slightly different. The gluing process may be different too. Most likely, it is. But they both have more feeling than most blades. And they both have excellent dwell time and flex and help you spin the ball better.

Of the blades I have in that speed class my OSP Virtuoso Off- is my favorite. But I don't own a Nittaku Acoustic and they are very close in speed, weight, dwell, flex and performance. However, they will feel slightly different. Just, not better or worse.

This user has no status.
Be cautious about buying an Acoustic. I bought one 3 weeks ago and i still not impressed. Tried 3 different pairs of rubber on it but still no "wow!". Much prefer Tenor or NIttaku P500. ( Even a 88gr Avalox P500 i sold, i liked it more) But that is in terms of feeling.
About performance i cant say anything bad about it. It does everything good. Despite being 5ply, it is not bouncy. Tons of spin and control.
Just be sure about it before you invest the money. Do not go blindfolded as i went.
I bought it at tabletennis11. You can get a good discount with coupons+ over 100$orders discount. i think i got 25$~ discount, pairing ttjapan price + better shipping option.

Reactions: achalwins94
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Be cautious about buying an Acoustic. I bought one 3 weeks ago and i still not impressed. Tried 3 different pairs of rubber on it but still no "wow!". Much prefer Tenor or NIttaku P500. ( Even a 88gr Avalox P500 i sold, i liked it more) But that is in terms of feeling.

1st, Avalox P-500 is faster and much harder than the Acoustic. 2nd, Tenor is faster and a bit harder than the Acoustic. 3rd Richie is basing his question on the fact that he has tried and liked an Acoustic.

A few things to know, a) every all wood blade plays differently than any other. So if you have 5 Acoustics they will all play a little different. b) If you have two blades of the same kind and one weighs a few grams more, the heavier one will almost always feel better. Denser wood usually has better feel. So if you get an Acoustic that was lighter than normal it would not have as much feeling. c) Harder blades usually have more crispness but less dwell time. Softer blades usually give you more dwell and a better ability to spin the ball. And they can help you work on your touch.

Nittaku Acoustic and Virtuoso Off- will be great choices.

I actually think you should get a Virtuoso Off-, get the head size choice of 150mm x 158mm (medium head size) and ask for the blade to be between 88-90 grams. (I promise, you will get used to the extra weight and thank me for that suggestion). If you do that, once you are used to it, when you pick up rackets that are in the 80-85 gram weight range you will feel like they are toys rather than real rackets. And you will benefit from the extra inertia behind the ball.

@ Paccheco: you should know, there is no longer any Nittaku/Avalox P-500s. Those are a thing of the distant past. The Avalox P-500s that are made today are still decent blades, but they are nowhere near as good as those old Nittaku/Avalox blades. Also, any Nittaku/Avalox blade that is still around today has aged for years and will play better today than when it was new. So recommending that is just short of recommending a Hans Alser blade. They aren't made like that anymore!

Besides, the top ply of any P-500 is Koto which is much harder than Limba. And Richie is asking for something like his Allround Classic but 1.5 speed classes up. So, it's a great blade but it is not right for this situation. As far as the Nittaku Tenor, that is the FASTER version of the Acoustic and if you read the thread, there is a point, after that was a recommendation where it was determined that it was too fast. But it is a lot like an Acoustic. But faster. It might be good for Richie too. Just like a Virtuoso Plus might be good for him. But I am betting that those two are a bit too fast for Richie's current needs.

And I am sure he can tell us if the Nittaku Acoustic felt good to him.

@ Richie: tell us all you can about how the Nittaku Acoustic you hit with felt to you.