Looking for a new faster blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
So currently I'm using a Stiga Allround Classic(FL) with tenergy 05 2.1 on the forehand and Calibra LT sound 1.9 on the backhand.

I have tried my friends TBS with tenergy 05 2.1 on the forehand and andro rasant 2.1 on the backhand. I do like the feeling of the TBS, not sure which one it is so I'll have to check up on that. The andro might be a bit fast on the backhand though, mainly interested in alternatives for the blade. Although the calibra seems to be a very light rubber.

I've looked at the viscaria, Liu Shewen, IF ZLF. Would any of these perhaps be good alternatives or might they be too much of a step up in terms of speed? To add, although not too important, I really do like the feeling of the allround classic in my hand, are the blades mentioned similar or much thicker?
Any other suggestions?

Any input is highly appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: achalwins94
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Well.. First of all: it's a HUGE step up from what you are using now and up to those blades you list.. If you want an extreme makeover it might be right, but for just a faster blade you could try the Stiga Offensive Classic, Stiga Offensiv Classic carbon, Stiga Clipper etc.. Do you really want to jump that far ahead or do you just want a bit more speed? :)

Reactions: Suga D and Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hmm, as I thought. The setup I'm using at the moment was a big step-up from what I was using before and I felt like I adjusted quickly. As I said, I like the TBS - I feel like I can control it and when I go back to using mine it feels much slower. It'l take me a while before I decide, it'll at least be a few more months and I will try to try other people's setups too.

I feel like I'd rather go quite a lot faster and adjust to it.. on the other hand I don't want my technique to take a hit as I'm aware that might be a danger if I go with something much faster?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hmm, as I thought. The setup I'm using at the moment was a big step-up from what I was using before and I felt like I adjusted quickly. As I said, I like the TBS - I feel like I can control it and when I go back to using mine it feels much slower. It'l take me a while before I decide, it'll at least be a few more months and I will try to try other people's setups too.

I feel like I'd rather go quite a lot faster and adjust to it.. on the other hand I don't want my technique to take a hit as I'm aware that might be a danger if I go with something much faster?

So what exercises did you perform with the TBS to confirm that you could control it? Loop with it? Did you block with it? Push with it? Flick with it?

Blades can be controlled and people can improve with any blade. It is the rate and level of improvement that is open to questions. I see so many adults using TBS and having no clue why they chose the blade other than that the world's known European contemporary player and many juniors are using it. It's very hard to explain to them that the blade is designed to do certain things well and the style that the blade is ideal for is a style that many adults do not play without taking baby steps that are hard to take with that blade.

If you really really want the TBS, you can take the risk. But there are much safer options in terms of upgrading a blade that will still leave you with a faster blade, but room to still grow by listening to the blade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, also, it is worth asking what your level is. How well you loop from both sides. How well you loop backspin when an opponent pushes. What style of play you use most in matches, or what shot selection you find yourself using when under pressure. Like, if your opponent loops would you usually counter-loop or block when under pressure in a match?

It is hard to say what will be best for you without really knowing your game. But answers to the questions I asked would help people know if that kind of jump to a completely different kind of blade would be useful to your development.

The info NextLevel already presented is very valuable. But we will have a much better idea of what will help you if we hear you describe how you play.

Sent from the Oracle of Delphi by the Pythia

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
So what exercises did you perform with the TBS to confirm that you could control it? Loop with it? Did you block with it? Push with it? Flick with it?

Blades can be controlled and people can improve with any blade. It is the rate and level of improvement that is open to questions. I see so many adults using TBS and having no clue why they chose the blade other than that the world's known European contemporary player and many juniors are using it. It's very hard to explain to them that the blade is designed to do certain things well and the style that the blade is ideal for is a style that many adults do not play without taking baby steps that are hard to take with that blade.

If you really really want the TBS, you can take the risk. But there are much safer options in terms of upgrading a blade that will still leave you with a faster blade, but room to still grow by listening to the blade.

The player using it is quite a lot below by skill level so it's strange to see him play with it, but he seems to manage.
We didn't really do any drills, mainly backhand to forehand, forehand to backhand. blocks felt controlled and loops felt like I needed to put less effort in to produce the same amount of spin.. I think. We did some match play as well but it doesn't tell me that much since his level is lower. Touch play was less controlled I'd say.. keeping in mind that it weighs quite a bit more I reckon so it'd take some getting used to.

Next time I see him I'm going to try it out more, maybe even see if I can use it for a league game. I will stick with that I have for a while though.

What blades would you recommend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
I guess, also, it is worth asking what your level is. How well you loop from both sides. How well you loop backspin when an opponent pushes. What style of play you use most in matches, or what shot selection you find yourself using when under pressure. Like, if your opponent loops would you usually counter-loop or block when under pressure in a match?

It is hard to say what will be best for you without really knowing your game. But answers to the questions I asked would help people know if that kind of jump to a completely different kind of blade would be useful to your development.

The info NextLevel already presented is very valuable. But we will have a much better idea of what will help you if we hear you describe how you play.

I'm a pretty aggressive player, as soon as my opponent pushes long I'll loop with my forehand, often block loops on my backhand and will counterloop on my forehand. Not as good at picking up backspin with it my backhand, but it is getting there. In terms of level I don't know how it translates or is of any use to you, but I'm at the top of division two in one of the cities in the southwest of England, my friend that's using the TBS is in division 5. When he tries mine out he tells me it gives him much more control, so it probably is too fast for him..

Another reason I've considered a significantly faster blade is because the more offensive players like myself who I play in my division seem to all be using much faster blades. That doesn't necessarily mean I should be too, just trying to gather as much information as I can.

And thanks a lot for the help! :)

This user has no status.
Thank god you friend doesnt has a ZJK SZLC :p

--
Of those you listed, Viscaria has the best feeling and touch, IMO.
But if you really like the feeling and touch of an all wood while wanting more speed, there is a whole bunch of blades that can suit your needs. You dont need a Primorac Carbon to support your offensive style, only if you re on suicide mission.

I think i caught what Carl was thinking. Such drastic change might hurt your technique: The famous T-Rex Loop.
If you are an aggressive player with an ALL wood, your swing oughta be wide, precise and fast. To compensate the new blade speed you will slowly downgrading your swing to maintain control.

-
As Anders said, its a huge step. Stiga Clipper or CR version, Extreme S, Ludeack, P700, Waldner Senso Carbon(this might actually be a nice blade for you), all of them will give you enough power for your needs while maintaining really good control and feeling.

As shakehand, im not a fully offensive player, controled offensive lets say. I started with an old TSP Chinese 5S, suddenly i bought a freaking nuts fast Rosewood and Ovtcharov Carbospeed, being the last long gone. Since then i constantly been downgrading speed while my game grew more offensive and consistent. Now im settled with Off- 5ply/7ply blades and off- rubbers too (Rakza 7 and Fastarc G-1)
The concept the >speed=the best is deceiving.Lots of player that i play have very good topspin game but cant do much on anything else due theirs amazingly fast blades like Schalarger or Primorac Carbon. Also, a little kid that used to train in my club had a very consistent game with a Senkoh 90 shakehand with 2 Omega IV Asia (that stuff is already a cannon imo) and as soon as he moved to other club he bought TBALC 2xt05. Since then, there were 6 stages of my local league and all of them he had miserable results than before. He either loops out of the table or cant control short game.

So, the best thing is keep trying out friends bats. Hit with it for good half hour. Talk with your coach about it, he actually might be the best person to help you since he knows your game better than anyone here. Go easy on your choice, do not be anxious or you will buy a lot of blades just to sell it 2 weeks later ( dear diary....).

Thoughtful,
Raul Pacheco.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Based on what I have read so far, you might be fine with a TBS for your FH but it would slow your development of becoming more solid looping with your BH.

Still, it might not be the right thing for your FH yet anyway.

This is what I think would probably be best for you: an all wood blade with the same or similar top ply and a similar wood construction as the Allround Classic but decently faster.

If you can find a Stiga Tube Offensive, that might be ideal. I would not get it with WRB though.

A Stiga Clipper would be on the faster side of acceptable. It wouldn't be the first choice in my opinion but it could work for you.

A Stiga Offensive Classic might be pretty nice for you though. 5 plies. Decent flex for looping pretty decent speed. Not slow but not too fast and the feel and flex of a 5 ply all wood blade.

On the more expensive side of things, a Nittaku Tenor, a Stiga Rosewood V or Rosewood XO also might be perfect for you.

Also, two of the blades I use might be perfect for you: the Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon and the OSP Virtuoso Plus.

If money isn't an object any of these would be ideal:

1) Tibhar Kim Jung Hoon
2) OSP Virtuoso Plus
3) Nittaku Tenor
4) Stiga Rosewood XO
5) Stiga Rosewood V

Or if money is an issue then one of these would be pretty darn good as well:

1) Stiga Tube Offensive
2) Stiga Offensive Classic
3) Stiga Clipper

As far as rubbers, I would start by using what you are using and only think about chasing what kind of rubbers you are using.

But at some point you should probably think about a rubber that grabs the ball and spins it better for your backhand so you can get the backhand loop into gear.

Good luck.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Since you like the feel of the Allround Classic, try this out.

STAY with Stiga and get an Allround Evolution... then do the Beast Mode MOD. You'll luv it.

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?9048-Re-Building-the-BEAST

I could also shamelessly pimp up the Kim Jung Hoon, since I use it myself... but try out the Allround Evolution for not so much money and do a nearly free of cost upgrade for the LULZ... then get a KJH blade. You'll thank Urself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Again, thanks a ton for these really informing posts. I will research the blades a bit more, leaning mainly towards Stiga Rosewood XO at the moment.

Other than speed what would be the difference between that and what I'm currently using? What woud be the main difference other than speed with the blades that I listed compared to for example Allround classic or Stiga Rosewood?

When I get the chance to play my friend again I might record a bit, would be interesting to see for myself as well as then there would be no bias :p

Carl what rubber would you recommend for my backhand? The rubber before the calibra I used sriver el 2.1, which turned out to be way too slow.

Amazing feedback, big thanks to everyone!

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Don't discount the Germans ! For obvious reasons I can vouch for the speed of the Joola K7 (5-ply + 2 carbon plys), and it can be acquired for £55 or so. It can however be hard work against ultra-defensive players - you know, the sort whose shots barely reach your end of the table - so if you frequently come up against those then you might prefer slightly softer rubber than the Rhyzm I went for.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
And it is worth noting that Richie is using a Stiga Allround Classic. Which is really not a very fast blade. If he had a Clipper and wanted faster, asking why could make sense.

It is also worth noting that in the thread he seems to have decided that something faster without being a rocketship and something all wood that has a similar feel to his Allround Classic might be best for him.

So I think he is mostly looking at 5 ply all wood blades in the Off speed rating but on the low end of the spectrum of Off speed blades.

I think that is fair based on what it sounds like his level is. If he is looping any long push with FH and will counterloop instead of blocking when his opponent is looping, and if he has the ability to know his backhand needs some work to loop (open) against a long push, then blades in that speed category would probably be useful for him.

Reactions: Suga D and Richie
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl what rubber would you recommend for my backhand? The rubber before the calibra I used sriver el 2.1, which turned out to be way too slow.

I was thinking you might do well with something like T05FX or Evo FX-P.

Either of those should help you spin the ball more with your backhand.

Honestly, Stratus Powerwood is enough IMO for what he is looking for, though he might not like the balance and thickness.

It's true. But what I saw was, I through out a bunch of blade recommendations within a speed range and Richie gravitated to one of the higher end ones. I think the one he seems most interested in would be a fine option. And I think there is something to be said for when someone wants something really nice after having played with something solid but very basic for a long time.

I have hit with a Rosewood XO many, many times. It is a great option. It might be high end. But it is a darn good blade.

If he was going to be interested in the Stratus Power Wood, he would have also been interested in the Stiga Tube Offensive and the Stiga Allround Classic which are in pretty much the same blade class in terms of price and speed rating. Those two would even be a hair faster than be Power Wood.

Reactions: Richie