Ma Long not invited - World Cup 2012

TME

This user has no status.

TME

This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I'm happy for Liam, it will be good experience for him and more of an incentive to push on, he beat Samsonov last year (showing his talent) and has moved to Germany to further his career so good for him and if the ETTA did push for him then respect to them.

It's ridiculous that Ma Long is not there, if its down to Xu Xin being the Asian Cup winner then it seems that the Chinese bosses have shafted Ma Long by playing Wang Liqin in that tournament. No disrespect to the great player of course.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
This really looks like someone in there doesnt like Ma Long..
Well, he will have to wait till next world championships, where only an injury can avoid him to go there..
There he has to prove himself, which will not be easy as Xu Xin might get stronger and stronger..
Anyways, till then, Ma Long is the blocked one.. many many times..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I assume one reason for this is that Ma Long has already had 2 chances to play the World Cup, in 2008 and 2009, and he didn't come through either time. Those losses, especially the one to Samsonov in the 7th game in 2009, kinda hurt his reputation as a big-match player and started the idea that he is mentally weak. However, Ma Long was, respectively, 19 and 20 years old in those losses. Though his level was already very high, players do mature with age as well as with experience. That is to say, if you play your first big tournament at age 23, you will perform better than if you played your first big tournament at age 19. Ma Long has already proven his mental strength time and time again after those early losses, and he deserves a chance to redeem himself at the same tournament.

As others have mentioned, the small field size of the World Cup, traditionally a "major", means that most pro tours now have a much deeper field and more intense competition. At the moment, the Asian Chamionships and Chinese Nationals are probably the most difficult tournaments to win, though still not the most prestigious.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have to be honest, I am not sure that the Chinese team really cares about this tournament. In 2009 when Ma Long lost to Samsonov in the semi-finals, the other player who went was Chen Chi. Now I like Chen Chi and I think he is a pretty solid player but the Chinese team, at the time had several players who were better and ranked higher than Chen Chi.

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
This event is complete and utter bull**** and not worth my time watching at all. A "MAJOR" having just 16 players competing? Please...... in any sport it would have been a joke...

Majors should have >100 players at least in the competition, like the Tennis opens and WTTC. ITTF should really consider making WTTC twice a year, and cancel the horrible World Cup and Pro Tour Grand Finals format. Just have a look at the audience during WTTC and compare them with these 2 competitions, it's just not at the same level. Who wants to see a botched competition where the strongest players are not playing?

Don't really agree with this. I think the World Cup is a fantastic event personally, puts a high number of quality matches on display.

As for Ma Long not competing I think it is a bit sour for Ma Long fans but I'm personally interested to see how Xu Xin performs in all honesty.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
http://ittf.com/_front_page/ittf_full_story1.asp?ID=28775&Competition_ID=2175&Sadly this is becoming a farce. Most observers who have been paying attention could tell you that Ma Long has been the world's best player for over a year now. The current system of rules dos not work. Essentially after earning the title at the WTTC, Zhang Jike has been gifted the World Cup and Olympics because the rules have decreed that Wang Hao must be the 2nd delegate for those events, based obsolete rankings. Wang Hao's level has been nowhere near Ma Long, Zhang Jike, or Xu Xin's for the past year. (If you think that's an exaggeration, consider that he is a combined 0-7) against these players since last year's WTTC.
malongnotworldcup2012.jpg
Photo by: Scott Heavey/Getty Images EuropeA specific question: why is Xu Xin selected as the "Asian continental champion"? Ma Long won both the Asian Cup and the Asian Championships this past year. Though I try to remain as impartial as possible, it's hard not to feel that something very unfair to Ma Long is going on.Invited PlayersInvitations have been sent as follows:World Cup Holder and World Champion: Zhang Jike (China)European Representative: Timo Boll (Germany)Asian Representative: Xu Xin (China)Latin American Representative: Thiago Monteiro (Brazil)African Representative: Ahmed Saleh (Egypt)Oceania Representative: William Henzell (Australia)North American Representative: Pierre-Luc Theriault (Canada)Host Nation Representative: Paul Drinkhall (England)World Ranking: Jun Mizutani (Japan), Chuang Chih-Yuan (Chinese Taipei), Dimitrij Ovtcharov (Germany), Joo Saehyuk (Korea), Oh Sangeun (Korea), Gao Ning (Singapore), Vladimir Samsonov (Belarus), Jiang Tianyi (Hong Kong), Koki Niwa (Japan)ITTF Wild Card: Michael Maze (Denmark)ITTF Wild Card: Liam Pitchford (England)Reserve No.1: Adrian Crisan (Romania)Reserve No.2: Marcos Freitas (Portugal)
yeh very good point about ma long...unless liu gouliang is saving him for some reason haha