Who do you think will win the Mens World Cup?

• Ma Long

Votes: 65 55.6%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Chuang Chih Yuan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Tang Peng

• Tiago Apolonia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Another thing i noticed is that with the plastic ball, it seems like serves can be attacked even more powerfully and at a higher percentage using the banana flick (sure, there were some errors, but some of that comes down to getting used to the ball). This could bode well for players like ZJK and FZD - anyone who could generate explosive power over the table before is going to be even more dangerous now.

Interesting comment. It seemed that Timo was using the banana service return more (even at the expense of moving right across the table to play it from the far forehand side) when he was playing Zhang Jike. This makes 3 things that seem to have cropped up around the plastic balls:
1. It makes the banana a better shot option
2. It increases the frequency of bad serves (into the net)
3. It increases the frequency of complete misses (air shots)

Yes/No any others ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Another epic ZJK vs ML final that's worth remembering. I bet ML will change his blade soon. He has this behaviour after any major defeat. W997 is a great blade. Wonder what DHS can get him this time. May be a change of rubber like Ding Ning with H8 for now to cope with the plastic ball.

Reactions: mahomedy13
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I wouldn't say it was a good finał game. Story of ma long fearing ZJK continue. Ma long like always taken easy wins in semis and before. Finally when he has to take ZJK his game is full of fear, his hand is shakeing during serves ( it was very clear in some close ups) . I am not a fan of both these players but just ZJK did not play any spectacular game, like always he had ups and downs. It is a pity that usually very consistent player like ma long could not use it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
To me, both guys played pretty darn well. It lived up to the epic battle we were hoping for. How can you ask for more than Deuce in the 7th. I feel like neither guy backed down and either player could have won. Ma Long did not have any of those emotional breakdowns that have happened when he is being beaten badly by someone who should not beat him. He fought hard to get the 7th game to deuce and faced with a 3rd match point at 11-10 in the 7th, he went for the backhand flip, which, was a high risk shot. If he had made it, it may have won the point outright. He gambled and lost. That is different than when he has fallen apart, lost confidence and started trying to push shots he should attack and to attack shots he should push. His emotional outlook and body language were not that of someone who was afraid and had given up hope. It was that of a fighter. He lost but he gave it a great showing.

This also shows a few things to fans of both Ma Long and Zhang Jike: at the highest stage, Ma Long and Zhang Jike will put up a good fight. Either could have won. Ma Long's overall record was not a factor, and Zhang Jike's ability to raise his level on the highest stage made this a great match but did not cause him to run away with an easy win.

This was as close as a match can be. Ma Long fans cannot claim Ma Long is really better than Zhang Jike and Zhang Jike fans cannot say Zhang Jike is really better than Ma Long. They both played great, toe to toe, fighting tooth and nail right to the last point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It seems like everybody is pretty well adjusted to the balls now. Nice for us to see some really high quality play again.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
i fear Ma long will be added to the list of greats that were close but never achieve a grandslam.this includes Ma lin,Wang Hao,Wang liqin,Timo boll(though he wasnt close to achieving it,he is a great player).

It is true that WLQ did not win a career slam but he is definitely someone who did more than the others in this group. Multiple World championships, and ranked #1 in the world for 48 straight months!!!! Ma Long is not in the same category as that yet, either is Boll. Wang Hao is not too far off. He had a period where he was pretty much unbeatable. Ma Long has never been unbeatable.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
ITTF needs to give ZJK USD $100,000 advance for doing this again the next two times he wins a tourney or give him a flat 10% of new equipment sanctioning fees. What should our lad get?

ZJK definitely got people's attention. Hahaha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
It is true that WLQ did not win a career slam but he is definitely someone who did more than the others in this group. Multiple World championships, and ranked #1 in the world for 48 straight months!!!! Ma Long is not in the same category as that yet, either is Boll. Wang Hao is not too far off. He had a period where he was pretty much unbeatable. Ma Long has never been unbeatable.

What would you say about ma lin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
Liu Guoliang, Ma Long, Zhang Jike home safely. Sina Weibo photos from Beijing Int'l Airport.

58d275c5jw1elqrq116wij20hs0npgmu.jpg

58d275c5jw1elqruz80w9j20hs0npdgm.jpg

b5b90a6fjw1elqs2miiqpj20lc0sgaca.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012

How many matches (how long) did Wang Hao have when he was "unbeatable", like you said? I do know Ma Long has 560-days win streak every single game on ITTF pro tour, and thats what I call "unbeatable" period already. Anyway, its too much off for this topic. I just wanna cheer for Ma Long and always root for him no matter when he loses or wins. Even though he lost in very tie match against ZJK, but still its not a good time, yet, to attack ML's ability and value of his game

Reactions: matzreenzi
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
How many matches (how long) did Wang Hao have when he was "unbeatable", like you said? I do know Ma Long has 560-days win streak every single game on ITTF pro tour, and thats what I call "unbeatable" period already. Anyway, its too much off for this topic. I just wanna cheer for Ma Long and always root for him no matter when he loses or wins. Even though he lost in very tie match against ZJK, but still its not a good time, yet, to attack ML's ability and value of his game

Well, a difference, Wang Hao got Silver in Olympics 3 times, he was in the finals at the at the World Championships 4 times. He came in second 3 times but he won the World Championships too. He only won once, but he won. Ma Long never got to the finals at the World Championships yet. I do think Ma Long is a great player. But, unfortunately he is a great player who has not gotten to the finals in the WTTC yet. He has not broken the barrier. When Ma Long wins his Olympic Gold or WTTC, and he should win one of those, then he can be considered on a higher level than he can right now. Right now he can be considered like Timo Boll or Zoran Primorac as a great player who has not performed so well on the highest stages.

And the difference between the WTTCs and a regular pro tour event is that everybody is at the WTTCs and you have to beat more higher level players to win and everyone wants to win. As of right now, Ma Long is still king of the small tournaments but has not done it on the highest stages. I will be happy when that changes, but that is a reality until he breaks that barrier.

Oh, and Wang Liqin, who won 3 world championships, went a whole year without dropping a game: not a match, not one game in a match. It was the same number of pro tour matches as when Ma Long went undefeated at pro tour events. For Ma Long it was not 560 days, which would have been almost 2 years. It would have been almost impossible for him to not win a WTTC with almost two years undefeated. It was a period of almost 6 months, but 25 pro tour matches. It was a great achievement. But, when Wang Liqin did it (they are tied for number of pro tour matches undefeated) he did not drop one game in one match.

By the way, I believe Wang Liqin went 25 months as number 1, had 3 months out of the number 1 slot and then went another 22 months. However, that was a period of over 4 years where, for only 3 months, he was not number 1, for the rest of that 4 years +, he was ranked number 1 in the world.

One thing that Ma Long does really well, when he plays someone he should beat, he does not mess around, he kills them. He rips through guys who are a level lower than him leaving no doubt.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What would you say about ma lin?

The greatest #2 player the world has ever seen, and Ma Long is heading toward the same category but it is too soon to say. Maybe Ma Long will win the next five major tournaments in a row. Every Ali needs a Frazier, so that is not a knock on these guys.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The greatest #2 player the world has ever seen, and Ma Long is heading toward the same category but it is too soon to say. Maybe Ma Long will win the next five major tournaments in a row. Every Ali needs a Frazier, so that is not a knock on these guys.

I think this is a great post. You guys should be hitting the like button on this.

Reactions: ttmonster