My forehand issue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Hello, I am a 13-year-old boy who plays for the Turkish national team, while everything was normal until about 2 months ago, I had to leave training for 3-4 weeks as a result of a minor injury, when I returned, there was a visible deterioration in my forehand side, all my forehand hits were going out and I lost my confidence, even in training I can only play backhand rn,and I can never hit forehand. What should I do?Even my coach doesn't believe me now, and it seriously affected my mentality badly. Thank you in advance for your answers.

• Sad
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hello, I am a 13-year-old boy who plays for the Turkish national team, while everything was normal until about 2 months ago, I had to leave training for 3-4 weeks as a result of a minor injury, when I returned, there was a visible deterioration in my forehand side, all my forehand hits were going out and I lost my confidence, even in training I can only play backhand rn,and I can never hit forehand. What should I do?Even my coach doesn't believe me now, and it seriously affected my mentality badly. Thank you in advance for your answers.
Its hard to tell the exact issue from a post in the forum without video, without knowing your playing level or the expertise of your coach. I am takinga guess here, but in professional sports there is something called "yips" where a fairly advanced player suddenly loses the ability to do basic skills and loses confidence. Something like this happened in the field of gymnastics to Simon Biles in Tokyo olympics .

I could find a vide on this topic by PingSKills , hope it helps you. You can research more to find more resources and techniques that can help you overcome this. Good luck and godspeed !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You are young, life is like this. When you are doing something difficult, there will always be challenges and problems. There are always good times and bad times in life, the key is not to let the bad times make you think that they are the only thing that ever happens - I am sure even with your bad forehand, you might even beat me with my best forehand. This may not be enough for you, but being at a good level makes you forget sometimes how good you are compared to the people you have left behind because you are only focused on the people you are trying to beat.

You can check with doctor to be sure you have healed. If so, try to go back to the basics again, bad periods happen to everyone.

1. Work with the people who trust you and believe in you.
2. Form a plan to work on what you need to do make things better.
3. Remember, there will always be obstacles. Try to do some root cause analysis on the obstacle to figure out how you want to approach it.
4. When the obstacles come up, they sometimes show that you are getting closer to your goal, but your perseverance will be tested.
5. Failure is never final - it is ultimately a learning experience. The forehand you may come out with after this experience may be the best forehand you have ever had, but without this experience, you may never have built it.

But don't think missing forehands for a month during a period of tough training is unnatural. Sometimes, the best results come out of knowing what to fix after a period of training, and after training, sometimes things go bad for a month or two, but become much better in 5 to 6 months time. Life is like that, but you have to have such experiences to get more confidence.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Note that the OP says "even my coach doesn't believe me now". The first thing I'd do is figure out why the FH is affected after taking some time off due to a minor injury. Perhaps try playing the FH with the D09C and see what happens?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
You are young, life is like this. When you are doing something difficult, there will always be challenges and problems. There are always good times and bad times in life, the key is not to let the bad times make you think that they are the only thing that ever happens - I am sure even with your bad forehand, you might even beat me with my best forehand. This may not be enough for you, but being at a good level makes you forget sometimes how good you are compared to the people you have left behind because you are only focused on the people you are trying to beat.

You can check with doctor to be sure you have healed. If so, try to go back to the basics again, bad periods happen to everyone.

1. Work with the people who trust you and believe in you.
2. Form a plan to work on what you need to do make things better.
3. Remember, there will always be obstacles. Try to do some root cause analysis on the obstacle to figure out how you want to approach it.
4. When the obstacles come up, they sometimes show that you are getting closer to your goal, but your perseverance will be tested.
5. Failure is never final - it is ultimately a learning experience. The forehand you may come out with after this experience may be the best forehand you have ever had, but without this experience, you may never have built it.

But don't think missing forehands for a month during a period of tough training is unnatural. Sometimes, the best results come out of knowing what to fix after a period of training, and after training, sometimes things go bad for a month or two, but become much better in 5 to 6 months time. Life is like that, but you have to have such experiences to get more confidence.
Thanks sir,I will do all the things that you said.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you play in the Turkish national team You should ask Your coach, not a web forum.

Cheers
L-zr
Try to read his post, his coach has lost faith in him. I don't think your response is appropriate given that with his age as well, he might not have the experience with success, failure and perseverance that might make him see that one month is a very short period of time and that things that look even bad over one month can flip with some perseverance. And the thing is that at the national level, you are competing with people, you don't know what pressure his current performance is putting on the coach as well. He just needs to understand that he needs to have faith in himself and if he is losing it, find the right people to remind him of the good things he has done and why he need to analyze and work on his problems a bit. All of this can turn around in a few months, it might not be soon enough, but life is long.

Reactions: Richie and eraa
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Its hard to tell the exact issue from a post in the forum without video, without knowing your playing level or the expertise of your coach. I am takinga guess here, but in professional sports there is something called "yips" where a fairly advanced player suddenly loses the ability to do basic skills and loses confidence. Something like this happened in the field of gymnastics to Simon Biles in Tokyo olympics .

I could find a vide on this topic by PingSKills , hope it helps you. You can research more to find more resources and techniques that can help you overcome this. Good luck and godspeed !

Thanks a lot sir.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

There is a better example of yips in table tennis: Noshad Alamiyan
He only plays backhand (idk if an injury or something different). Nobody knows for sure, but it seems a case of yips.

He also destroyed Wang Liqin before the accident:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I'm by no means qualified to help you but one thing to consider would be if an injury still affects the way you move.

Does it still hurt and are you maybe working around certain pain spots?

If yes consulting a doctor and maybe having a longer break could help.

Try to read his post, his coach has lost faith in him. I don't think your response is appropriate given that with his age as well, he might not have the experience with success, failure and perseverance that might make him see that one month is a very short period of time and that things that look even bad over one month can flip with some perseverance. And the thing is that at the national level, you are competing with people, you don't know what pressure his current performance is putting on the coach as well. He just needs to understand that he needs to have faith in himself and if he is losing it, find the right people to remind him of the good things he has done and why he need to analyze and work on his problems a bit. All of this can turn around in a few months, it might not be soon enough, but life is long.
And you are saying that you know this situation better. Are you crazy. His coach is the one who knows him best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
And you are saying that you know this situation better. Are you crazy. His coach is the one who knows him best.
Haha, you are right, I don't know him at all - for all I know this could be a hacker. I am just trying to treat him how I would hope to be treated. You don't need to know someone to know that struggling can put you in a dark place, and that sometimes, you just need to be encouraged to get going a bit more.

Reactions: Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Haha, you are right, I don't know him at all - for all I know this could be a hacker. I am just trying to treat him how I would hope to be treated. You don't need to know someone to know that struggling can put you in a dark place, and that sometimes, you just need to be encouraged to get going a bit more.
Please don't think im a hacker etc. and thanks for your good treating sir,you and ttmonster motivated me a lot.