Please recommend long pips rubber for me!

This user has no status.
Im so pissed off with LP advantages that I'm planning to join the dark side too. So the plan is for my left hand to use penhold long pips while my right hand uses the full shakehand two wing inverted looping. This means that I enjoy the advantages of all sides. As far as I know, there are no rules prohibiting me from doing this xD also I would have none of the disadvantages of LPs, they are welcome to try serving no spin long to my BH, I will blast each and every of these balls with my inverted BH loop all day long :)

The plan is simple, disgust them as much as possible with my left hand long pips, and then attack very strongly with my two wing inverted loops which are already very well trained.

I don't have a penhold blade but I think I can just use my harimoto ALC shakehand blade which I think is an excellent blade. Please recommend the most disruptive borderline illegal long pips for me. I want max momentum absorption + max insensitivity to spin + min friction + max disruptiveness. I don't need to attack with this long pips since I have my two wing attacking setup to deal with that, this long pips will be solely used to disgust other people.

Also, please recommend another disruptive medium pips I can use on the other side of the penhold blade, so that I can twiddle to use either as I like.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Im so pissed off with LP advantages that I'm planning to join the dark side too. So the plan is for my left hand to use penhold long pips while my right hand uses the full shakehand two wing inverted looping. This means that I enjoy the advantages of all sides. As far as I know, there are no rules prohibiting me from doing this xD also I would have none of the disadvantages of LPs, they are welcome to try serving no spin long to my BH, I will blast each and every of these balls with my inverted BH loop all day long :)

The plan is simple, disgust them as much as possible with my left hand long pips, and then attack very strongly with my two wing inverted loops which are already very well trained.

I don't have a penhold blade but I think I can just use my harimoto ALC shakehand blade which I think is an excellent blade. Please recommend the most disruptive borderline illegal long pips for me. I want max momentum absorption + max insensitivity to spin + min friction + max disruptiveness. I don't need to attack with this long pips since I have my two wing attacking setup to deal with that, this long pips will be solely used to disgust other people.

Also, please recommend another disruptive medium pips I can use on the other side of the penhold blade, so that I can twiddle to use either as I like.
Metal TT: Brutal does the damn job

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: blahness and lodro
This user has no status.
Doing some research, I think maybe Dawei 388C-1 and and 388D-1 would do the job. Now I need to research more about sponge thickness lmao.

Also I realised this opens up some extremely nasty strats with the inverted + long pips combo lol. This is the first time I've been so excited about TT.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I need some actual advice on rubber selection dude :(

I've never tried the Brutal rubber, but it does sound, er, brutal. But if you're looking for a cheap lp that does fun stuff, try Bomb Talent or GiantDragon Talon National, 388D series is more commonly used by choppers and hitters as it is a bit grippier. if you're ok spending a bit more money, Grass DTecS is still a benchmark for disruptive play at the table, but it is fast and slippery; and in my experience, Dr Neubauer Desperado Reloaded is also quite a tricky rubber to play against.

• Wow
Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.

I've never tried the Brutal rubber, but it does sound, er, brutal. But if you're looking for a cheap lp that does fun stuff, try Bomb Talent or GiantDragon Talon National, 388D series is more commonly used by choppers and hitters as it is a bit grippier. if you're ok spending a bit more money, Grass DTecS is still a benchmark for disruptive play at the table, but it is fast and slippery; and in my experience, Dr Neubauer Desperado Reloaded is also quite a tricky rubber to play against.
What even are these names 🤣....

I got a friend who has a spare copy of 388d-1, so I will probably give it a try. And most probably it'll be 388c-2 on the other side.

This user has no status.
Update:

I figured out how to twiddle with my left hand penhold, and how to throw the ball with an open palm while still holding the penhold blade in my left hand - so all my nasty serves are still available.

I also shadowed a lot of LP strokes with my left hand and did not find it very difficult, but that's mostly because I'm ambidextrous. the important part is body usage after all. My right hand looping strokes are barely affected, I could shadow them perfectly fine with my left hand holding the penhold blade.

The main issue is footwork and positioning, because obviously I want to maintain the same footwork patterns so short balls are taken with the right leg in front so that my inverted over the table attacking strokes are available. Also my positioning will be close to my righty BH corner, this makes it very easy to produce variation on BH balls (my BH is already a major strength of mine). With FH short the reach of this penhold LP is shorter so I need to take an even bigger step. Same with long balls to FH, but in that case it's much easier to loop the shit out of the ball with my right hand anyway.

And if I can get my left hand penhold LP strokes to a high level in a short time - it will just prove how much of a joke LPs are in amateur TT.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
blahness,

At first, you will be very awkward using the LP against weak balls to your LP... such as some serve receive and 3rd ball to your BH... chopping will be more natural. Overall, it first, unless you are rock bottom level, you will play at a lower level with your LP setup.

later, vs SOME opponents, you can play near your inverted level... it will take years to play your normal level vs ALL the former opponents, unless of course it was rock bottom or near rock bottom level. Later, you will adapt to serve return and if you place the ball well with touch off the bounce, you will get errors from aggressive brain dead players or if they play safe, you go on attack.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I see your flag is down under... you ought to post on OOAK some and taunt that crowd...

There is a bat I recommend you use, the Schildkrot 900, I wrote a review on that almost decades ago on OOAK forum, it was legend. Give it a read. Scroll down to post #14 if the link doesn't open the thread there.

• Haha
This user has no status.
blahness,

At first, you will be very awkward using the LP against weak balls to your LP... such as some serve receive and 3rd ball to your BH... chopping will be more natural. Overall, it first, unless you are rock bottom level, you will play at a lower level with your LP setup.

later, vs SOME opponents, you can play near your inverted level... it will take years to play your normal level vs ALL the former opponents, unless of course it was rock bottom or near rock bottom level. Later, you will adapt to serve return and if you place the ball well with touch off the bounce, you will get errors from aggressive brain dead players or if they play safe, you go on attack.
I think you didn't understand my post lol... I'm adding a left hand penhold game to my existing right hand double inverted game, ie I'm gonna play with 2 paddles, one in each hand all at the same time. I would LOVE it if they gave me any kind of weak balls because I will absolutely crush those with my right hand double inverted loopkills.

For any given ball I can use three different types of surfaces to hit the ball, left hand LP, left hand SP/MP after twiddling (to be determined) or right hand inverted on both wings.

The twiddling penholders think they're confusing, wait till I master this and they'll see what is real confusion LOL

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I don't play those, but I think LP is most disgusting thing to play , that chop block.....
Yes LPs are disgusting af which is why I wanted to do this in the first place.... gotta fight fire with fire to wipe those smug evil grins off the pipsters face.

• Haha
Reactions: ben1229
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I like my Dr Neubauer Firewall+ with Giant Dragon Talon 0X for push blocking. I like to block short with the LPs.
You want a relatively stiff blade for the push blocking. The FH rubber can be almost anything since you play close to the table.

What you are trying to do is win some points off the opponents mishit of back spin balls, wait for ball that you can attack and block short. This requires a technique I call "soft hands". If you hold the paddle too tight the ball will bounce back too fast. You need the blade and your hands to absorb energy to block short.

When starting out you will lose more points because you don't know how to play with LP 0X than what the opponent will due to your LPs. It isn't really that easy. With a little practice you will avoid simple unforced LP 0X errors. Then you will drive your opponents crazy. Also, hit the ball with your LP 0X when the ball is about net height. Not much higher untill you are very good and can hit with the LPs. The best players can hit with their LPs. Another good trick is to be able to twiddle.

Blocking short and counter attacking the high balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Without trying to rain on your parade blah.. .. Are 2 rackets actually legal in competition play?. If you are playing with your mates at the local club knockabout or basement type play sure... Its a laugh with 2 rackets.

There's a fair few good umpires on here who can confirm before you invest the time if you are planning on playing seriously.

Playing devil's advocate why not invest the time upping your game against the pimples so you can beat them easier?.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Without trying to rain on your parade blah.. .. Are 2 rackets actually legal in competition play?. If you are playing with your mates at the local club knockabout or basement type play sure... Its a laugh with 2 rackets.

There's a fair few good umpires on here who can confirm before you invest the time if you are planning on playing seriously.

Playing devil's advocate why not invest the time upping your game against the pimples so you can beat them easier?.
pretty sure there's no rule restricting it.