Returning backspin

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Would be great to see some of these examples !

In this video, the training is not worth much but in the middle there are 3 clips from matches.

The first one starts at 2.42. That one Ma Long takes the ball way over the table. That one, the technique is not so easy to see because the angle of the footage is from above and behind. But you can see he takes the ball over the table

After that he is returning a flip so that is past the table.

Then the third point, he is receiving a push from Jun Mizutani and that, you can see the technique of how he comes over the table better because of the side view. That point starts at about 2.52.

Here is the video:

But in pretty much any match, if someone pushes to Ma Long he will loop it over the table if he is in position to take it with his FH.

I guess, one more detail, the way Ma Long is doing it is definitely high level technique. His racket does not go down much but in his backswing, it definitely goes lower than the table. This is harder than keeping the racket the height of the table or a bit higher because you really have to have where the edge of the table is measured or you could break your hand. If you could see it from the forehand side, his racket probably misses the edge of the table by an inch or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Lots of great advice here. A way to give you confidence and to improve in this area is to try and create the situation in practice. You could have a player/coach feed you some multi ball placing the ball a few inches above the net height with lots of backspin. You can then practice the flick or heavy push shot. On the flick I would say to have your bat angle quite open so the ball doesn't get dragged down quickly. I would also recommend not to gamble on this type of shot. Get it back into play well with control and not to much pace and then recover for the next shot to attack with spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hopper,

The other thing that is interesting is whether the ball is short and high to your forehand side or short and high to your backhand side. On the backhand side, if you have the footwork, it is easier to loop over the table with your forehand. It just takes pivoting and imagination because there is no table in the way. That though is a bigger risk bigger reward shot.

You may also not be getting close enough to the table for some of these shots. Usually, at least one foot has to be under the table at some point for these shots to be optimally performed.

This user has no status.
USDCarl; thanks for the vid. Currently I'm not able to watch but will do asap.

NL: Las week specificly the balls went to Mid/BH. For sue due to hesitance, I didn't step into the table enough.
I'm not sure whether I feel a pivot/FH loop on those balls would be easier for me. You say the table is not in the way, but with a short ball I doubt thatand then 'm stuck with an over-the-table FH loop, which I might find more difficult to execute. Anway, another good suggestion to include in multiball training

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Lots of great advice here. A way to give you confidence and to improve in this area is to try and create the situation in practice. You could have a player/coach feed you some multi ball placing the ball a few inches above the net height with lots of backspin. You can then practice the flick or heavy push shot. On the flick I would say to have your bat angle quite open so the ball doesn't get dragged down quickly. I would also recommend not to gamble on this type of shot. Get it back into play well with control and not to much pace and then recover for the next shot to attack with spin.

This one is a pretty good one, too.
You don't have to kill the ball with the first loop. Just try to make a good placement and keep variating on the spin and then be prepared to execute the next one as a real Terminator shot. If your placement is good enough, then the ball might not come back anyway... Or like Der_Echte wrote, you catch your opponent off balance, which should bring you into a good position to launch an attack... :)

Reactions: Dan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Over the table FH loop is much easier on the BH side than on the FH side because you can navigate the side of the table.

You may need to have someone show you how to do it. I don't know if I would be able to do it without having had that and drills to practice it. But multiball backspin at a length where the second bounce would be near the white line and you just are trying to loop those weird half long balls of varying heights, is the drill for practicing it. You just try to stay really low and try to loop even though your instincts are screaming: "NO!!!!"

At first you miss most of them and then you start being able to make them. At first it truly feels like torture because it is totally alien. But then you sort it out.

I did it with multiball and felt like a fool and then I just got the feel for it and they just started going in. Then I was in a few matches and realized I just did it without realizing on a couple of balls. After that you just see balls that it will work on and go for it.

That being said, so many ways to respond, faking an all out attack and dropping the ball as short as possible can also result in a clean winner. If you are ready for the attack and see your opponent back up to get ready for it, just drop the ball short.

Sent from TheDepthsOfTartarus via TheHouseOfHades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
A friend from our club also showed me this vid right here:

It is in german, but you should be able to understand from the pictures.

It basically says that (as Carl and others already pointed out) you could also try learn from other sports.
Did you ever play frisbee?? ;)
Both wristmotions are pretty close...

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
ideally, if the (backspin) ball is long, you should attack it with topspin.
if its short push it back. if its half long, its more tricky but better to topspin it.

i think you should improve your pushing technique its a bit boring, but thats fundamentals.
take the ball just before the top of the bounce to make a long push. take the ball just at the bounce to make a drop shot/short push. in games, if in a pushing rally, don't panic, wait for the easy ball, and in the meanwhile alternate short and long pushes, right and left, don't be too predictable.