Something in between H3 and Tensors?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Could someone explain where 729 Aurora and Focus 3 Snipe fit alongside these rubbers as well? I was thinking of trying one of those for my backhand.
I can seriously tell you 729 Aurora is an amazing rubber. It's mediun soft yet fast and grippy. Cost me $20. Amazing almost on par with T64.

But somehow 729 has discontinued it? I can't find it

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
A small update. I've been trying Stiga Genesis-M (got it on sale) for about a week and it's been great in the short game but it's a bit too fast for me when it comes to looping and flipping. Currently debating with myself if I should switch back to H3 or look at 729 Battle II.

I'm also thinking about if I should switch from a 7 ply blade (using Stiga Clipper and DHS G9 currently) to a 5 ply like Butterfly Primorac.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
To add to what's already been suggested, I just thought of tenergy 25 for your BH. It is quite different from the other tenergies, but it is a quality rubber and a friendly transition from Mark V types of traditional rubber.

Easily medium-hard. Not too much catapult, not too bouncy, yet it has that little bit of kick when you want it. Not very sensitive to spin compared to T05, very suitable for blocks, punches, and drives. Does not compromise much on accuracy close to the table. Very "accessible" and it is a bit of a jack-of-all-trades (although most likely not the best for loopers). And it is a step towards T05.

H3 neo on your FH is good if you like it. It's also handy to know of the Nittaku take on this rubber, Nittaku Hurricane 3 Neo, as well as the Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange.

This user has no status.
I have pretty much the same story as the OP (except I have been out of competitive play since the 1970's). I tired Hurricane 3-50 and don't recommend it.

I think you might try either of the two Yasaka Dragons and be happy with one or the other. I prefer Shining as it is tackier than Rising but not as tacky as H 3-50. Both have a pop to their returns but not near what Tenergy 05 has. They both push really well.

For what it is worth, I am close to deciding on Tenergy or Rakza Xs on the forehand and YSD on the back (still experimenting with some other options - even Rakza PO on backhand).

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
A small update. I've been trying Stiga Genesis-M (got it on sale) for about a week and it's been great in the short game but it's a bit too fast for me when it comes to looping and flipping. Currently debating with myself if I should switch back to H3 or look at 729 Battle II.

I'm also thinking about if I should switch from a 7 ply blade (using Stiga Clipper and DHS G9 currently) to a 5 ply like Butterfly Primorac.

I would recommend Hurricane 3-50, which is made for BH. It has tacky topsheet with softer sponge. It should be slower than Stiga Genesis M and more controllable. 729/Friendship Battle II should be ok too, but it's only slightly tacky. If you like to have the tacky feel on your BH, then H3-50 is better.

Reactions: mart1nandersson
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Nope, just the sponge type (for example, #20 sponge comes in 38 to 41 deg hardness)

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Spinart would be remotely closer to H3 than any Tenergy. Perhaps the yet-to-be-released tacky rubber from Butterfly will be the one.

This user has no status.
Does the 50 in H3-50 indicate the sponge hardness?

Btw, Hurricane 3-50 comes in 2 different sponge hardness. The regular version is 37 degrees, the soft version is 35 degrees. For FH, I would recommend the regular version. H3-50's sponge is already more elastic than regular H3 and H3 neo. When I used 37 degree hardness H3-50 on FH, I had a lot of control and can generate a lot of spin with low speed swings too. I would probably use soft H3-50 for BH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Btw, Hurricane 3-50 comes in 2 different sponge hardness. The regular version is 37 degrees, the soft version is 35 degrees. For FH, I would recommend the regular version. H3-50's sponge is already more elastic than regular H3 and H3 neo. When I used 37 degree hardness H3-50 on FH, I had a lot of control and can generate a lot of spin with low speed swings too. I would probably use soft H3-50 for BH.

How does it compare to 729 Battle II?

This user has no status.
Battle II comes in 45, 47, and 49 degree hardness, which is about 35, 37, and 39 degree hardness on DHS scale. If you get the 47 degree Battle II, it should be very similar to H3-50. The main difference between Battle II and H3-50 is tackiness. H3-50 still has the traditional tacky feel of Hurricane rubbers, Battle II is noticeably less tacky than H3-50. Both are easy to play with and are quite forgiving on mistakes, it just depends on if you like more tacky or less tacky.

This user has no status.
I just bought some Gold Arc 8 to play on the forehand side of my Hurricane H-WL blade which has H3-50 on the backhand. I had tried this before with Tenergy 05 on the forehand and it just did not pair up with the H3-50 well at all. I have moved the Tenergy to a different bat and thought that the descriptions of Gold Arc 8 were like something a little short of Tenergy and since it is made by DHS perhaps fits in that area between H3 and Tenergy. (Gold Arc 8 has very little tack to the surface)

I will let you know what I find out Friday night at the club.

I am getting to the point in my search I am finding several combinations that work for me - that is actually a problem. LOL

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I just bought some Gold Arc 8 to play on the forehand side of my Hurricane H-WL blade which has H3-50 on the backhand. I had tried this before with Tenergy 05 on the forehand and it just did not pair up with the H3-50 well at all. I have moved the Tenergy to a different bat and thought that the descriptions of Gold Arc 8 were like something a little short of Tenergy and since it is made by DHS perhaps fits in that area between H3 and Tenergy. (Gold Arc 8 has very little tack to the surface)

I will let you know what I find out Friday night at the club.

I am getting to the point in my search I am finding several combinations that work for me - that is actually a problem. LOL

I played briefly with Gold arc 8 on my friend's racket. It's pretty decent. It's basically DHS's take on tensor rubber and it's made in Germany. It's design to be very similar to European rubbers and has very little tackiness.

This user has no status.
I've just received a couple of sheets of Palio AK47 Blue (bought on AliExpress). However I'm actually getting very used to H3 now even on my backhand, so I'm hesitant to use it!

I think I will put just the red sheet on my bat, and then try playing with it both forehand and backhand, and get some advice from a senior player in my club.

This user has no status.
So I played at length with the Gold Arc 8 and like it alot. Not as much as Tenergy but then it is quite a bit cheaper than Tenergy so it is a good alternative. As for being a option for something between H3 and Tenergy I would say no. I still think the Yasaka Dragons work better for that. Gold Arc just doesn't have enough tack to feel anything like H3.

YSD and YRD both are tacky and so remind one of H3 AND they both have a pop to there returns which feel some what like Tenergy. Hope that helps the OP.