The benefits of a vertical topspin against a backspin ball – for amateurs

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl's Spy Phone said:
If the backspin ball is looped with a high arc and the loop has A LOT of spin, it is not so easy for the opponent to handle unless they are at a decently high level to counterloop that off the bounce.

Triple Haha, yesterday, usatt reposted an article saying a high arc loop is the worst thing vs an intermediate level flat hitter slap happy dude haha.

That is my NUMBER ONE weapon vs a player who cannot block or loop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The guy I played vs in semi finals last weekend had a bh slap happy way about him... I would loop it heavy and slow to his bh... sometimes arch it a full 2 or 3 feet over net height.. dude would slap it... ball goes out by 6 to 8 feet.

Dude looks at paddle, shadow practices downward motion of two handed CPR, then on next high loop, blocks it to the rear barrier.

Slow HEAVY spin is a weapon, use it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Hello to everybody,

This talk is for amateur players not for pros who have strong technical skills and they can handle any ball.
I am trying to understand the benefits of a vertical topspin against a backspin ball because I am having a lot of problems to handle the return of it.
The scenario is the one below: I serve with backspin, my opponent makes a push so I get a ball with backspin too and I attack the ball with a strong vertical top spin at almost 90 degrees sometimes. The problem is that this shot generates a ball with a very high arc and my opponent has a lot of options to return it back (topspin, punch, smash) even if that ball goes with that unusual, accelerated topspin.
Ideally speaking, I should topspin the ball and the ball should not go with that high arc; instead it should just pass over the net but to do that I should not put so much power in my shots but that will generate another problem for me, the one where I cannot lift the ball with the backspin so the ball will go into the net.
By reading a lot of articles, everybody will tell you to attack any long ball no matter what spin the ball has; does it have topspin? No problem, then loop it or topspin it. Does it have backspin? No problem, do a vertical topspin against it at a certain degree based on its backspin.
My question is which are the benefits of a vertical topspin on a backspin ball, for an amateur, since the stroke will create a ball with a high arc on the opponent`s side that can be attacked pretty easy due to its height? I have the impression of exposing myself to risks for free by using this shot.
The safe option will be to push the backspin ball back with backspin; at least it will go much lower (a pro will be able to attack it of course – see the scenario of a defender vs. an attacker but we do not talk about pros :)).

Thank you
When you contact the backspin ball has it fallen to table height?
If so I can understand your need to use a more vertical stroke.
However if you contact the ball at peak bounce that is 6 to 8 inches of lift that is not required. Obviously you need to program yourself to take the ball at peak