What do you guys/girls think about energy drinks?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I started drinking like Redbull and coffee but not too much. I like it sometimes because it gives me a good spark to practice and sometimes make me focus more in times of stress or when I'm really tired. I feel like I should cut down and start getting use of practicing without those drinks. I heard they are bad for you but I don't drink coke just water and juice. Energy drinks are the only bad thing I drink. But I also drink water while I'm drinking a Redbull.

I was wondering what is yall take in this. I don't want bad affects later. Like you can't start off your day or practice without drinking one. I don't want to get like that.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I started drinking like Redbull and coffee but not too much. I like it sometimes because it gives me a good spark to practice and sometimes make me focus more in times of stress or when I'm really tired. I feel like I should cut down and start getting use of practicing without those drinks. I heard they are bad for you but I don't drink coke just water and juice. Energy drinks are the only bad thing I drink. But I also drink water while I'm drinking a Redbull.

I was wondering what is yall take in this. I don't want bad affects later. Like you can't start off your day or practice without drinking one. I don't want to get like that.

Personally I almost never drink energy drinks. In practise I only drink water, and in tournaments I have one bottle of water that is my main drink and a bottle of coca-cola to take a few sips of when im feeling tired during matches. Works for me :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Some energy drink will get you addicted to it and eventually you will develop tolerance so your normal intake will take no effect later on.. i would suggest rehydrate yourself with water, gatorade perhaps to replenish your lost fluids.. and you may also wear negative ion like phiten to improve your circulation as you push yourself to the limits of your abilities. Then eventually compare your performance and focus.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Gas and caffine drinks is not recommends for athletes, especially during matches or tournament time.
There is a whole study about how the gas/caffine/sugar effects the body.

I would say, use water and if required, use sport/energy drink only when you are really tired or sweat a lot.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I am not going to talk about all the BAD stuff in these drinks for now. We all accept these drinks are BAD and have BAD stuff in them.

What mitigates your situation some is you drink water with it, at least the same volume as the drink. That is better than nothing, but it is still bad.

What is bad, besides the crazy chemicals in these drinks, is the INSANE amount of SUGAR in these drinks! Usually has High Fructose Corn Syrup, a very inexpensive to make and VERY DANGEROUS substance for your body. This type of carb will go directly to your gut, will likely irritate your body, and generally "F" it up. Coaca-Cola and every soda drink has a LOT of this stuff too, so do sports drinks, but not as much. Here is a link to some discussion on what is in energy drinks.

http://www.caffeineinformer.com/energy-drink-ingredients

A quick examination of a few popular energy drink, be sure to DOUBLE the amounts as the serving size is 1/2 can...

Rockstar has 62, yes Virginia, SIXTY-TWO grams of sugar. You almost need a shovel to put that much sugar into a large can. Some people drink 2-3 of these drinks a day.

Energy-Drink-Sports-Chart.jpg

You keep this stuff up at a young age carry forward and you set yourself up for many problems.

Don't believe me. I'm just a cranky old fart who is an internet hack. Do stuff on your own and find out for yourself. However, by the time anyone learns for themselves about this stuff, it could be too late.

Last edited:
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
says http://cinemagr.am/embed/148758536
Feb 2013
I heard that it's the best to drink big amount of water before tournament, and during the match it's okay to drink some isotonic drinks like iso sport, powerade.. But they also have some harmful stuff and so it's even better if you can drink only water.
One guy in my countra drinks red bull and other energy drinks before matches and he is almost flying during the match, but he can't even okay any more without drinking something, and he is having serious problems now, that's why it's strictly unrecommended to do that. You choose, if you like wining more than your health, go ahead and drink them all, but I believe you won't do it anymore.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are also problems from drinking only water too, especially if you are doing really prolonged heavy physical stuff in very hot and humid conditions.

The tendency of pundits is to recommend very high intakes of water very frequently... before you get thirsty, so body has enough water to process things.

What that does bad is several things. All those large doses of water flush away minerals from your bloodstream pronto. That leaves you without enough electrolytes to function. When you are in the middle of heavy physically demanding stuff in hot weather, you can have energy crash or even organ failure.

Another thing that is possible is too much water in these hot/humid conditions coupled with heavy prolonged exertion, can cause the brain tissue to swell really bad. Of course, this is serious, sometimes fatal results of death.

This happens all the time in military where you have to make a very long road march with a very heavy rucksack (like 30 kg or more) and move out at a fast pace in very hot and humid weather. Many military leaders in this case will tell you to keep drinking water like crazy. You are in a catch-21. You do not keep drinking lots of water, you will lose it all through sweat and breath. You take all this large amount of water, you flush out your minerals and electrolytes, you lose energy, you risk organ failure, and if you keep up the heavy water drinking and keep moving with such a load, you will pass out, perhaps die.

That is why it is important for one to know one's energy, nutrition, hydration, and mineral status and take effective care.

In the case of the long road march, many Armies have long ago discovered that adding a little salt to the water works, along with slow carb supplements, like oatmeal bars with a little sugar carbs and salt, do an effective job at keeping the electrolyte levels high enough to function if done properly.

Too much sugar intake with these chems in energy drinks under the hot/humid conditions with heavy workout are also a recipe for failure as well. If one drinks at LEAST one volume of water for that energy drink, one could likely get by with drinking one or two of those energy drinks in a day of heavy activity and not die, but why take chances? There are plenty of electrolytes, minerals, and energy (both fast glucose carbs and slow burn carbs) in food we eat with our mouths.

If we can be aware of our levels discussed above, we can balance energy/hydration/mineral intake and keep ourselves safe and ready for action WITHOUT energy drinks.

What a lot of do is not plan ahead and since these energy drinks are a lot more available in more places than proper food and take zero preparation, many wind up with the junk food and drinks. There is nothing wrong with one of those if there is enough water consumed, it is done at right time and there is also other nutrition involved. I bring a sports drink to venue all the time as it taste good and can get me by if I use it right and balance out everything effective according to my body's levels and physical demands at the time.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is about as much good info on the subject as you are going to get. I always feel good with water plus bananas. I am leery of drinks with chemicals like TAURINE in them. But I think Der_Echte has presented all the most important information and a bunch extra for everyone in a way where you can sort of hang your hat on it. Thanks Der_Echte.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hey Carl, I didn't figure all that stuff out on my own man. Some people had to hit me over the head with tire irons to get that information to sink in.

I have a very HARD head, it is the only thing that has enabled be to achieve much of anything in life.

Since my head is so hard, it took to the age of 46 before I learn how this works.

Smart people learn from others' mistakes and not so bright jokers like me have to resist all their lives and learn the hard way.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with learning the hard way, since it is permanent learning once you get it. Problem is, if the area getting learned affects your life, there are more serious and lasting consequences learning that stuff as opposed to stuff not affecting your health, like say learning how to make a computer do something you want.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Not many people know that Carl is an expert in a profession dedicated to enhancing ur health, but is not say, a medical doctor.

I would say a lot of people like Carl know more about these matters than the majority of doctors themselves?

How is that? You cannot teach a doctor everything in school and even in the medical profession, there are those paid off. If doctors knew everything (and we listened), we would all make it to age 120 if we did not die in war or get killed by a terrorist drink driver.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Not many people know that Carl is an expert in a profession dedicated to enhancing ur health, but is not say, a medical doctor.

I would say a lot of people like Carl know more about these matters than the majority of doctors themselves?

How is that? You cannot teach a doctor everything in school and even in the medical profession, there are those paid off. If doctors knew everything (and we listened), we would all make it to age 120 if we did not die in war or get killed by a terrorist drink driver.

And, Der_Ecthe, I really like how you put the information in a form where it is obvious and understandable: marching, in the sun and heat, with 30 kg on your back, YOU COULD DIE. Small shifts in the chemistry of our blood can cause dramatic effects. Things like drinking enough water to wash out enough electrolytes, without replacing them, stuff like all that sugar and the crash that happens after, can cause real problems. In terms of a competition, it could mean a drop in performance when you start to crash. In terms of your health, it could mean more, even in a tournament setting.

Thanks again Der_Echte for the details learned in real life training. Very good info presented in a way that may cause people not to have to learn the hard way.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I did 2 hours of very light TT basically coaching, then two hours non-stop very strenuous all out basketball.

When I was on the way home, I picked up a small sports drink which I consumed on the ride home. I promptly drank a liter or so of water right away, some more incrementally and made some pizza with lots of onions, garlic, and red pepper (paprika). I will sleep for what will seem like eternity ten hours and will likely not be able to beat anyone off the dribble tomorrow at the gym, if I choose to be follish and try back to back days of basket ball at my old age that is almost on the wrong side of 50.

So, I didn't exactly practice what I preached today. I drank a sports drink, but I did it right after a heavy workout, when my body will convert a lot of those quick carbs into glycogen stores in my liver and muscles. Good thing I didn't go out with the boyz Korean style all night drinking it up or I would have gained 3 cm. haha. I did drink a lot of water and keep up the water intake along with some food I need. I believe I will be alright for mineral balance tomorrow, but my exertion of today was ridiculous heavy for my age, so I will be walking around tomorrow like my hips are destroyed, which they indeed are if anyone played physical basketball like I did using the legs a LOT to bang it around down low and run the floor and fight.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I heard that it's the best to drink big amount of water before tournament, and during the match it's okay to drink some isotonic drinks like iso sport, powerade.. But they also have some harmful stuff and so it's even better if you can drink only water.
One guy in my countra drinks red bull and other energy drinks before matches and he is almost flying during the match, but he can't even okay any more without drinking something, and he is having serious problems now, that's why it's strictly unrecommended to do that. You choose, if you like wining more than your health, go ahead and drink them all, but I believe you won't do it anymore.

As I highlighted in bold, for preparation for a big event or heavy exertion, it is VERY IMPORTANT to hydrate, not just right before, but hydrate well continually with a pre-load of glycogen to your liver/muscles 1-2 days prior. Hydration takes more than just a few minutes. You could drink the holy dogcrap outta water, but it will set you up for a fall. One needs to balance out the hydration over a period before the event and pay good attention to nutrition and mineral management.

Pre-loading your muscles with glycogen is important. It is the big power source we use in our tourneys for lasting power. You will see some fit looking dudes do a long tourney and see them be hot garbage before 5 PM. A lot of it is not loading up muscles with energy and a lot of it is mis-management tourney day. Typically, we eat a lot of junk food, or we time our intake in an ineffective way.

There are two basic types of energy for our muscles. Slow and fast burning carbs. Sometimes, if it is timed right, like right after a heavy exertion, thee simple fast carbs can be converted to usable energy right away. If it is too excessive, like say an energy drink, the liver has to work overtime to process it all and a lot of it goes to waste... or I should say Ur WAIST as excess carbs not immediately able to be processed into glycogen become fat quick. Also, it spikes the blood sugar levels and releases a lot of hormones that tell the body to store fat, and that crap also interferes with the ability to perform heavy exertion. Slow carbs are that that release energy more slowly and do not spike the blood sugar levels so much. Then there is the proper intake of the right fats and amino acids needed to process all those proteins to rebuild damaged muscle fibers. All that High Fructose Corn Syrup "f"s things up big time, and so do those processed chems and altered oils in these drinks... they do not allow the proper rebuild, so you do not recover as well as you could if you ate better "clean" sources of carbs and proteins and the right fats to properly process them. The keep the body in a state of irritation.. and I will NOT get into the altered wheat we are growing and eating today, even worse. All that crap irritates the daylights outta you and many of these things mess with the natural balance of "good" bacteria in your small intestine, and when that is messed up an irritated, your whole body suffers for it.

Did I confuse anyone or just state that the current world order as we know it is being deliberately tinkered with by companies selling this stuff? Uh, I did now.

To cut it short, we could get by on tourney day by hydrating 1-2 days frequently, but not overload at any time. We can pre-load the muscles with a few good meals the day or so prior. We can bring plenty of stuff to tourney day to manage hydration, energy, mineral level, and satisfaction of our gut. This means one has to think ahead, plan ahead and be ready match day with water, banannas, (like an entire bunch of 10 ! You might loan a couple to a friend in need) slow carbs prepared, veggies, some balance of meat and old school grain... all that takes some thinking and bringing a coller to your event. Not everyone does that or does it well. You alos have to be aware and space it all out. It isn't easy right away, but if you listen to your body, you can know some.