Who Are The Best TT Coaches?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
I feel like table tennis coaches don't get that much recognition. I certainly could name many of the top coaches.

Who are they and where do they coach? Who would you say are the current top 10 coaches in the world currently?

liucoach.jpg

Photo by: Feng Li/Getty Images Europe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Jörg Roßkopf, the German national coach is definitely in the top 10. His team has done extremely well in the past several years of international competition.

As far as tactical coaches are concerned, Liu Guo Liang is probably the best in the world. He also knows the psychological side of table tennis extremely well, and knows how to get the best of his players. A good example would probably be the way he coached Zhang Jike in the Olympic games when Zhang Jike played Samsonov.

The individual coaches for Zhang Jike, Wang Hao, Ma Long, etc. should also get some mention as well. They were instrumental in the development of these top players.

I'm sure there are also very good Korean and Japanese coaches that deserve mention that I am just not familiar with.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
For me, it is Larry Hodges. He's one of the very few (including you, Ping coach) to share his knowledge online. I have gained immensely by reading his blog. http://tabletenniscoaching.com/blog

of course, he doesn't coach players at ZJK's level but when you read his blog you can sense his aptitude for the game and keen observation of the nuances. He has also been instrumental in changing the TT scene in the US.

Reactions: revulucao and Idiot
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Richard Prause, he has a phenomenal amount of knowledge. He was German National team coach prior to Jorg Rosskopf and is now the head coach at the Werner Schlager Academy. Dirk Wagner also coaches there and I know William Henzell had a lot of praise for him and his coaching ability.

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Great topic Ben. I have often wondered this to. I mean, who helped Jun Mizutani throughout the years, or players like Yan An or Fang Bo? :) Just like Matt said, I have heard Richard Prause is an amazing coach, I would like to know more about him.

My German friend has told me that there are many fantastic coaches in Germany who coach the top division teams like Bremen, Dusseldorf etc. And the lower division teams. It's meant to be very hard to move up the coaching qualifications in Germany.

says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
Some personal coaches in CNT :)

Men's team:

Xiao Zhan: Zhang Jike, Hao Shuai, Yan An and Fang Bo's coach

Qin Zhijian: Ma Long, Xu Xin and Wang Liqin's coach

Wu Jingping: Ma Lin, Wang Hao and Fan Zhendong's coach

Ma Junfeng: Chen Qi and Zhou Yu's coach

===============

Women's team:

Li Sun: Li Xiaoxia, Zhu Yuling, Sheng Dandan, Wang Xun and Jiang Yue's coach (also Wang Nan and Zhang Yining's coach before, maybe he is the best coach in women's team)

Chen Bin: Ding Ning, Rao Jingwen and Zhao Yan's coach

Liu Zhiqiang: Liu Shiwen, Chen Meng, Wen Jia and Gu Ruochen's coach

Qiao Xiaowei: Guo Yue, Cao Zhen and Yang Yang's coach

Ren Guoqiang: Guo Yan, Wu Yang and Chang Chenchen's coach

==============

Other famous coaches (retired) in China

Yin Xiao: Liu Guoliang and Kong Linghui's coach

Li Xiaodong: Wang Linqin's coach when WLQ at the peak of his career

says Aging is a killer
All the names mentioned are good at what they do but they don't have as big an impact as the ordinary unknown guys who coach school kids en mass and bring beginners into the game. Everybody poster here knows at least one of these coaches.
They are the ones who inspire kids to 'want to return' and play again and again.

Reactions: TableTennisDaily

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I wonder how much of an influence these coaches have on the world class players? There definitely needs to be more research done on table tennis coaches, qualifications, and ones understanding.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Because of China success, I'd say Liu Guoliang. But I know it's not that original, so I'm saying Michael Maze's first coach, whose the name i don't remember, and the Germany's National Team coach :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Mario Amizic is definetely the greatest coach in Europe (head coach in the WSA also). Along with Jan Ove Waldner he has implemented the modern era FH loop style that we see in Europe top players. The almighty japanese have also been training as kids with Mario Amizic (in fact his training was crucial to their development). He also coached Primorac, Samsonov, Boll, Maze and others

http://www.wsa-tt.com/mario-amizic-en.html

Last edited: