Why does Butterfly make sponges in 2.1 and 1.9mm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I notice that Butterfly makes their rubbers in 2.1mm and 1.9mm. Most Esn rubbers are 2.2 or 2.0mm. Why is this?

Is it because BTY uses thicker topsheets and the total rubber is the same thickness as esn? Or is it because BTY total rubber thickness is lower than esn?

Is there a benefit or reason for doing it this way?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I am not an expert in Butterfly products but I imagine 2.1mm sponge of Dignics 05 or Tenergy 05 hard is plenty fast. I don't think you need to go to 2.2mm sponge.

I just ordered a sheet of Dignics 64 1.9mm to try and a sheet of Tenergy 80 1.9mm to try for the exact reason as stated above. I am pretty sure 1.9mm is fast enough.

As for why Dignics series does not come in 1.7mm, Butterfly must believe that choppers or defensive players are not interested in that series since it is supposedly faster than Tenergy. Tenergy 05fx and the rest of the Tenergy fx series are very popular with choppers so they do offer 1.7mm sponge to attact those defense-based players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
But not only choppers use 1.7. The difference between 1.7 and 1.9 is not that big and slightly more control (and yes, a little less speed) and a bit less weight benefits a lot of players. Maybe not on forehand but on backhand.

But I guess they know what they are doing. At least what the make money from! :)

2.1 beeing max is probably due to over-all thickness. However a T64 must be thicker than a T05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I notice that Butterfly makes their rubbers in 2.1mm and 1.9mm. Most Esn rubbers are 2.2 or 2.0mm. Why is this?

Is it because BTY uses thicker topsheets and the total rubber is the same thickness as esn? Or is it because BTY total rubber thickness is lower than esn?

Is there a benefit or reason for doing it this way?
Overall thickness given the topsheet and then the gluing and potential boosting processes that can push players over the limit. For competition, thickness of the overall setup is what is measured.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
it is impossible to produce sponge sheets all of a true calibre by thickness. There is always a clearance of +/- 0.1 mm
Be happy.

The numbers you see on btf rubber products just represent an average calibre within the set clearance.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Overall thickness given the topsheet and then the gluing and potential boosting processes that can push players over the limit. For competition, thickness of the overall setup is what is measured.
So do BTY rubbers have thicker topsheet than the 2.2mm ESN rubbers?

Or does BTY just choose to give more margin of safety to stay within the limit?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So do BTY rubbers have thicker topsheet than the 2.2mm ESN rubbers?

Or does BTY just choose to give more margin of safety to stay within the limit?
It's a good question, and I think the answer is likely both: there is more rubber in the topsheet and the Japanese are generally concerned with staying within the limit. Even their ESN offerings like Fastarc label 2.0mm as super thick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
The fastarcs used to have 2.0 as maximum. Think they produce G1 in 2.1 these days though.
Just to mention another rubber series with relatively thin max sponge.