World Cup 2011 (Singles)

Who will win the Men's Singles World Cup?

• Wang Hao

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joo Se Hyuk

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Oh Sang Eun

• Chuang Chih Yuan

• Other..

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Joo is really a fantastic player. Keeping up the level of defending play against such high quality attacking players. He mixes up the play and i really like his fh tactic. What rubber does he uses on the fh and bh. The black rubber is defending but is it special?

Yeah, you're right! I also liked his attacks! And also how he changes the speed of the points.. amazing, I'm gone try it tonight xD
I also would like to know what does he play :)
Thanks for the video Dan :D

Cheers :)

EDIT:
According to the ittf-site http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=biography, Joo is using:
Tackifire on Forehand
TSP Curl P1 on Backhand
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
:)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Yeah, you're right! I also liked his attacks! And also how he changes the speed of the points.. amazing, I'm gone try it tonight xD
I also would like to know what does he play :)
Thanks for the video Dan :D

Cheers :)

EDIT:
According to the ittf-site http://www.ittf.com/_front_page/ittf1.asp?category=biography, Joo is using:
Tackifire on Forehand
TSP Curl P1 on Backhand
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
:)

Yeah his forehand and backhand is ultra deceptive now.
The epic spin variation makes the opponent guess wrong many times. Just cool :)

Anyway from what I know this is what Joo is using :
Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk with Diode handle
Red 1.9mm Butterfly Tenergy 64 on his FH
Black 1.6mm Tibhar Grass D.TecS on his BH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Being bored browsing YouTube, I ran into a great video.

It is highlights of spectators footage from the quarterfinal Timo Boll - Joo Se Hyuk in truly exceptional quality.

Credits to YouTuber MeteoPhenomAisne for this amazing work. Enjoy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Being bored browsing YouTube, I ran into a great video.

It is highlights of spectators footage from the quarterfinal Timo Boll - Joo Se Hyuk in truly exceptional quality.

Credits to YouTuber MeteoPhenomAisne for this amazing work. Enjoy!

Great find bro Wiwa ! Thanks a bunch !
Now I could learn much from it :D

And wow ! Its avalaible in 1280x1080p ! Awesomeness !

This user has no status.
Yeah his forehand and backhand is ultra deceptive now.
The epic spin variation makes the opponent guess wrong many times. Just cool :)

Anyway from what I know this is what Joo is using :
Butterfly Joo Se Hyuk with Diode handle
Red 1.9mm Butterfly Tenergy 64 on his FH
Black 1.6mm Tibhar Grass D.TecS on his BH

So he uses long pimples on his backhand side? It would be unbelievable if he plays with Tenergy 64 on his FH. How can you chop that good with that fast rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
So he uses long pimples on his backhand side? It would be unbelievable if he plays with Tenergy 64 on his FH. How can you chop that good with that fast rubber?

Its a general knowledge that defenders use LP on their backhand. Exceptions for Hou Yingchao, Jang Song Man, Wu Yang and some other choppers who use short pips on their backhand. With the advancing technique and equipment related to looping, inverted choppers are now a rarity and usually found in the middle lower class of table tennis.

Joo's technique is just amazing, nuff said ;) Yes he is using T64 on the forehand, previously he is using Tackifire C. The blade properties also help in Joo's game, the T64 is not in maximum thickness too.
I was chopping with Tibhar Nianmor MAX on a fast 9ply carbon blade and I think it is possible even tho hard. That was 6 months ago when my level is low.
So, why not ;)

This user has no status.
Its a general knowledge that defenders use LP on their backhand. Exceptions for Hou Yingchao, Jang Song Man, Wu Yang and some other choppers who use short pips on their backhand. With the advancing technique and equipment related to looping, inverted choppers are now a rarity and usually found in the middle lower class of table tennis.

Joo's technique is just amazing, nuff said ;) Yes he is using T64 on the forehand, previously he is using Tackifire C. The blade properties also help in Joo's game, the T64 is not in maximum thickness too.
I was chopping with Tibhar Nianmor MAX on a fast 9ply carbon blade and I think it is possible even tho hard. That was 6 months ago when my level is low.
So, why not ;)
Yes ofcourse normally defenders play with LP, but you cann't put pressure with it. The proffessionals have all the time in the world to break through long pimples, that makes it so unbelievable that he can cope with the pressure. My feet are to slow to keep chopping like that. The fh is not maximum, what thickness would it be like 1.8-1.9? The more speed you have in the first few balls, short push on service return, makes it easier for the attacker to hit the first spin ball very fast. If that happens you really have to run very fast to get in positition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Yes ofcourse normally defenders play with LP, but you cann't put pressure with it. The proffessionals have all the time in the world to break through long pimples, that makes it so unbelievable that he can cope with the pressure. My feet are to slow to keep chopping like that. The fh is not maximum, what thickness would it be like 1.8-1.9? The more speed you have in the first few balls, short push on service return, makes it easier for the attacker to hit the first spin ball very fast. If that happens you really have to run very fast to get in positition.

I believe that it is why being a modern defender demands much skill in anything in their game. Joo could cover up all of those. Awesomeness.

And don't forget one thing. Defenders could win because of their ability to vary the spin and placement, not only pressure through excessive spin amount. That explains why top level defenders use grippy type of pips to manipulate the spin on the ball. Maybe the 'un-max' thickness on the FH is intended for control and placement since inverted rubber already has the ability to change the spin.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In the semifinals, it is crazy to see how Zhang Jike has so much spin on his control loops that it takes almost 2 games for Joo Se Hyuk to be able to get them on the table consistently. I have never seen Joo have trouble returning a loop that was right to him. Then it is also crazy that, in the finals against Wang Hao, when Jike finally wakes up and starts playing, Wang Hao cannot get his serves on the table. How many serves did Hao hit into the net? Jike gets an outrageous amount of spin. More than anyone I have ever seen.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Great find bro Wiwa ! Thanks a bunch !
Now I could learn much from it :D

And wow ! Its avalaible in 1280x1080p ! Awesomeness !

U should thank the uploader. Amazing HD indeed. Also you can see he adjusted the camera so evry game there was room for Joo to defend on screen xD It's really an amazing piece of work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
In the semifinals, it is crazy to see how Zhang Jike has so much spin on his control loops that it takes almost 2 games for Joo Se Hyuk to be able to get them on the table consistently. I have never seen Joo have trouble returning a loop that was right to him. Then it is also crazy that, in the finals against Wang Hao, when Jike finally wakes up and starts playing, Wang Hao cannot get his serves on the table. How many serves did Hao hit into the net? Jike gets an outrageous amount of spin. More than anyone I have ever seen.

Yeah that match really showed the difference between the technical skill levels of the Chinese players in general, but especially ZJK, compared with Boll. ZJK's forehands just had a level of speed and pop, that Boll didn't.

It was actually interesting, during the commentary of that match, the Chinese commentators were actually saying, Boll gets maybe more spin than ZJK in his shots, but instead of helping him, that just means that when Joo slices it back, it has even more spin, which actually ends up hurting Boll. ZJK's shots are more about power and speed and less about spin, so Joo isn't actually able to get the same amount of backspin on his returns as he does against Boll.