Which team do you think will win the World Team Championships 2014?

• China

Votes: 172 80.0%
  • Germany

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Japan

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Chinese Taipei

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Austria

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Croatia

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Why Timo and Dima made mistakes when they play against ML? The reasons are, IMO, either they cant read spin of ML serves or ML topspin variation in spin and placement are too good to return

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Timo part is easy - its not Ma long winning, but Timo serving too long to his FH

Dima part is easy - its not just Ma Long winning, but Dima breaking down after 5-5 in the 2nd, since then, Dima lost 17 points for 2 points

IMO,
1) Timo played very badly
2) Pressure was too much for Dima, and same time, Dima change his tactics and went from 50%/60% form to 70% and won
3) ZJK didn't arrive yet
4) Xu Xin gave the pressure to Dima
5) LGL sweat became smile and no risk of him resigning - thank goodness

Reactions: pong4lyfe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
people saying LGL misjudged. ppl can say wtever they want knowing the results.

although i thought lgl would place xx and ma long in 12 and zjk in 3, but i think he will do that nx time due to zjk mistakes. now xx has the chance to climb up the ladder. and zjk can only earn his place in wttc 2015 or world cup 2014.

dima and ma long was playing really well. xuxin also, i think he has high chance winning both timo n dima, dima won against zjk in a brute force type match, more simplistic, backhand flip then close table rallies then further away.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Timo part is easy - its not Ma long winning, but Timo serving too long to his FH

Dima part is easy - its not just Ma Long winning, but Dima breaking down after 5-5 in the 2nd, since then, Dima lost 17 points for 2 points

IMO,
2) Pressure was too much for Dima, and same time, Dima change his tactics and went from 50%/60% form to 70% and won
3) ZJK didn't arrive yet

Ok, I agree to some extent, but it's customary to give credit to the winner. Whatever we say about DO's level, there's no question that Ma Long played spectacularly well in the 2nd and 3rd games and he deserves some credit. IMHO, it was more about Ma Long raising his level than DO's level dropping....

BTW, this is the 2nd straight WTTC (team) in which Ma Long hasn't dropped a single game....

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Zhang Jike's fathers reaction

This is the reaction of Zhang Jike's father after Zhang Jike lost his first ever singles match in a world champs (teams or singles). Video by @AdamBobrow

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012

IMO,
3) ZJK didn't arrive yet

well, sounds like Ma Long is nobody after his impressive straight of winning with not a single dropped game.. Even worse, his achievement is being cheapen by his opponents mistakes. Its up to you ppl, what I have learnt in this sport is that forcing your opponent making mistake is also wise tactics and experience

Administrator
Oct 2010
@GECA and TTCountenance are quick!

Men's Team Final:

First match: Ma Long vs Timo Boll:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
been a lot of discussion about chinese players. lets discuss their statuses:

ML: doing great, if he won wttc 2015, he will be in olympics
XX: again wttc 2015

either of them might have chance in world cup 2014 2015, xx former winner. ma long can be put into world cup, for a grand final between zjk ml, zjk will be put in world cup since he wasn't last year n for his opportunity in second grandslam.

ZJK: failed too many times in world championship, the thing is: he was trying to perform his best n failed, gonna hurt his confidence since dima is still be hanging around. he needa perform in

2014 world cup / 2015 wttc / 2015 world cup to earn his place again. if he does well in 2015 wttc, he should be in olympics. but he's on his own. he prob wouldn't be put in heavy spot in team event, unless he won a world championship of some sort

FZD: ppl were discussing why didn't LGL put him, it was no brainer imo. (1) big picture, it's unlikely that FZD will be in olympics this way (by earning coach confidence here) he has other chances, so they hv time to train him. FZD can only have chance to earn his ticket to olympic in 2016 (his 19 yrs old) if he won against ALL nonchinese these two years, won WTTC 2015, and maybe 2015 worldcup. no point putting him out now

(2) smaller picture, FZD hasn't faced tight match point, super big challenges in big matches yet, and there are ZJK ML XX in the queue. he also could fail like ML without exp in 2009/ 2010. basically FZD has not established himself enough individually to play in no.1 no.2, u can see if even XX world cup winner was not placed. it's not fzd turn yet.

WH: no brainer, he is gonna retire lol.

great year

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 3 reviews
well, sounds like Ma Long is nobody after his impressive straight of winning with not a single dropped game.. Even worse, his achievement is being cheapen by his opponents mistakes. Its up to you ppl, what I have learnt in this sport is that forcing your opponent making mistake is also wise tactics and experience

Well I agree...but never mind...what important is ML winning even ppl disvalue him

Administrator
Oct 2010
When the match for third place?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

There is no bronze medal match. I thought there was until Tony Table Tennis corrected me. Both Japan and Chinese Taipei are the bronze medal winners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Make it 6 mistakes in a role... 5-11

Lucky Ma Long for Dima being Santa

It is not that. The thing is Dima and Timo know that they have to play really strong and risky shots, if they play their regular games they will easily loose. Look at the match Dima with ZJK, Dima was realy pushing hard, his strokes were powerfull, fast and he took over it. ZJK was just pushing the balls. The most important thing is if you two offensive players meet who takes the initiative. That is why Dima was trying to take the first possible attack. But playing with Ma Long he find out that if his attack is not aggresive enough than Ma Long counter it and play powerfull shot impossible to react. In that way he was forced to do errors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Dima didnt play bad against Ma long. What he had to do is to take the Game point in the first set that he had...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ok, I agree to some extent, but it's customary to give credit to the winner. Whatever we say about DO's level, there's no question that Ma Long played spectacularly well in the 2nd and 3rd games and he deserves some credit. IMHO, it was more about Ma Long raising his level than DO's level dropping....

BTW, this is the 2nd straight WTTC (team) in which Ma Long hasn't dropped a single game....

Yeah, i noticed on here i didn't post about Ma long going from 50% to 70% form/level and changing tactics
That was the up and Dima breaking was the down.

I did post that on FB before my TTD post :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It is not that. The thing is Dima and Timo know that they have to play really strong and risky shots, if they play their regular games they will easily loose. Look at the match Dima with ZJK, Dima was realy pushing hard, his strokes were powerfull, fast and he took over it. ZJK was just pushing the balls. The most important thing is if you two offensive players meet who takes the initiative. That is why Dima was trying to take the first possible attack. But playing with Ma Long he find out that if his attack is not aggresive enough than Ma Long counter it and play powerfull shot impossible to react. In that way he was forced to do errors.

From 5-5, Dima played differently - and I don't see this as a tactically change as you suggested.
last set, was all blocks
Sad to Dima end like that....
If it was as you claim "tactially decision", then that was a real bad decision. No matter what, he should of continued to attack. But something changed and his consistency went to below 30%

But Ma long changed his tactic and his form came up.
If Ma Long continue from Boll/Dima 1st set etc, it would be a lot more closer

Anyways, ZJK has a huge chance of not making the next WTTC (3 players + 1)
And always a chance of not making next OG
He is 26 now, and will be 27, 28 for these 2 events

So much pressure on the Chinese players

Last edited: