Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

• Kenta Matsudaira

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If you are in a 2-0 lead and let it slip you surely choked. Choking is not only occuring in the final points of a match.

I don't agree. My experience in table tennis say that a best of 7 allows your opponent to make adjustments and read your game better so what worked earlier might not work later. But thanks for your interesting perspective.

Reactions: yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I'm not surprised since you never agree with anybody. Do you consider yourself the "TT oracle"? It's choking if your opponent really doesn't make any drastic changes that alters the face of the match. Dima did no such thing. He stuck to his usual game plan and LGY lost his "fire", he got more passive. Or are you trying to tell me that b/c Dima started serving bh he monumentally changed the entire match?

I don't agree. My experience in table tennis say that a best of 7 allows your opponent to make adjustments and read your game better so what worked earlier might not work later. But thanks for your interesting perspective.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm not surprised since you never agree with anybody. Do you consider yourself the "TT oracle"? It's choking if your opponent really doesn't make any drastic changes that alters the face of the match. Dima did no such thing. He stuck to his usual game plan and LGY lost his "fire", he got more passive. Or are you trying to tell me that b/c Dima started serving bh he monumentally changed the entire match?

He made a lot of changes using his backhand a lot more on serve and serve return and even using it on rallies where he has practiced using forehands.

You need to realize that after two games certain patterns have formed and Lin got comfortable but Dima started violating them. The games were still close but Dima is sneaky. I mean he started flat hitting in the last two games and Lin at least caught on to it.

I would say Dima was lucky and Lin unlucky. Choke is not the word I would use. But there is nothing wrong with your perspective. We all interpret things differently.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Rid, you have a sound mind, observe well and deserve your opinion as least as much so as anyone. Yet something in your tone makes me adverse to your message. That may be entirely on my plate, and sit squarely at my half of the conversation, so take these words with the proper number of grains of salt.

So I'll be blunt (being dutch, that is probably my curse). I like your contributions and often find merit in them but hey, a bit of style and tone goes a long way. C'est la ton qui fait and all that. You know, I'm sure.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What is the illegal part?

While the toss is high and the serve was more passable at one time, the ball crosses from one half of the court into the other before being contacted, giving a sideways impact that helps the amount of spin generated since the racket is coming into the ball.

Umpires have faulted him for it before. It is really about courage when umpiring vs such a high profile name.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
"You make your own luck" is pretty spot on. When the Chinese become passive then they're vulnerable. If they take charge they almost always dominate. They're not very comfortable leaving the initiative to their opponent. The 3rd ball attack was "invented" in China to take control of the rally instantly.

He made a lot of changes using his backhand a lot more on serve and serve return and even using it on rallies where he has practiced using forehands.

You need to realize that after two games certain patterns have formed and Lin got comfortable but Dima started violating them. The games were still close but Dima is sneaky. I mean he started flat hitting in the last two games and Lin at least caught on to it.

I would say Dima was lucky and Lin unlucky. Choke is not the word I would use. But there is nothing wrong with your perspective. We all interpret things differently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
No, I watch the matches. Maybe you should try it.

Ok ok sorry for the tone. Anyway ...
I watched it and now I was looking for the service. 3:2 and 2:8. The ball does travel from one side of the table to another but the height is much more than 2 feet. I would not be so quick to judge ... and I'm not a referee anyway.

I just don't like umpires interfering into services - unless really obvious - because a too "courageous" umpire sometimes can just "erase" the game.

Last edited: