Who do you think will win the World Tour Grand Finals?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Lin Gaoyuan

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Tomokazu Harimoto

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

• Kenta Matsudaira

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
While the toss is high and the serve was more passable at one time, the ball crosses from one half of the court into the other before being contacted, giving a sideways impact that helps the amount of spin generated since the racket is coming into the ball.

Umpires have faulted him for it before. It is really about courage when umpiring vs such a high profile name.

I know the umpire in person, I can ask him when I meet him why he didnt fault those serves ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Tomorrow I will not be able to watch any of the matches.. too bad..
This will be really tough for me!
I will ask my wife to download it for me and when I return home it will be probably too late to watch..
So somehow I will try to survive till Monday without finding out, ha! :D
And on Monday watch the match without knowing who will win..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Wow Dima's tomahawk serve is so darn illegal. Even Tomo had difficulty against it and I can see why.

I don't see throwing it from one side to another would effect the tomahawk serve, since he is throwing the ball high. Everyone can follow the ball, it isn't hidden...Dima perfected the way of changing the spin with minimal difference in the contact point and racket speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Rule states you have to throw the ball straight up and at least 16 cm high. Dimas height is not the issue but him throwing it to the side quite a bit.

Ok ok sorry for the tone. Anyway ...
I watched it and now I was looking for the service. 3:2 and 2:8. The ball does travel from one side of the table to another but the height is much more than 2 feet. I would not be so quick to judge ... and I'm not a referee anyway.

I just don't like umpires interfering into services - unless really obvious - because a too "courageous" umpire sometimes can just "erase" the game.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
I don't see throwing it from one side to another would effect the tomahawk serve, since he is throwing the ball high. Everyone can follow the ball, it isn't hidden...Dima perfected the way of changing the spin with minimal difference in the contact point and racket speed.
He is throwing the ball somewhat into his racket which allows him to put more spin in the ball. While it is pretty extreme there LGY and nearly every other player does that as well when serving the standard FH serve. Ball starts between BH corner and middle of the table and falls down at the BH corner, that is also throwing the ball into the racket with the same benefits. Hard to decide what to allow and when to step in as referee.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I know the umpire in person, I can ask him when I meet him why he didnt fault those serves ;-)

Rule states you have to throw the ball straight up and at least 16 cm high. Dimas height is not the issue but him throwing it to the side quite a bit.

I don't want to get into googling ... but really think there is some tolerance accepted in the rules. I'll wait for Michal's post. Will be really interesting.

[Edit] ok, found it.

2.6.2 The server shall then project the ball near vertically upwards, without
imparting spin, so that it rises at least 16cm after leaving the palm of the free
hand and then falls without touching anything before being struck.

Last edited: