Yasaka Sweden Extra

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Carl, I stumbled across this post of yours:

It might be very similar. I am not sure. I don't think it is anything too special. I do think it is just thinned Poly sealant so that you can wipe it on. But I really don't know.

One of the things I like about wipe on is it doesn't just stay on the surface. It sinks in and looks like the wood was brushed with oil rather than sealed. So it is a tiny bit in the wood but not on top of the wood. Often when you seal with stuff that is thicker, it leaves a coat of poly that is over the wood. So wipe on poly really doesn't change the playing characteristics. It would be interesting to see if you could get the same results from thinning a regular poly finish.

But, the last can of wipe on that I got did a few hundred blades and lasted almost for years before it dried and got too thick to use and I was pretty okay with spending $5.00 to get a new one.

Since I thinned a regular polyurethane product and sealed my blade with it, I made some pictures.

IMG_20160920_215708.jpg

You wrote that with Wipe-On Poly it looked like the blade was brushed with some oil rather than sealed. In my case it was just like that. With one thin layer, the wood only became a little darker, a bit more vibrant if that makes sense. Since I sealed the whole surface, it's not possible to see the difference.

I also sealed the edge, but on the edge I applied three layers. Here the difference can be seen, since I didn't seal all the way to the bottom of the handle:

IMG_20160920_215745.jpg

After each layer you saw it getting a little darker.

Is there a difference with Wipe-On Poly?

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Is there a difference with Wipe-On Poly?

Probably not. But I wouldn't even fuss about that. It looks like you did a good job sealing the blade.

As far as what rokphish is saying about sealing the handle: it is a choice. I used to like to seal the handle for exactly the reason he explained. At a certain point I decided I liked the wood of the handle exposed for the extra grip and the fact that the wood they use in handles feels more moisture absorbent. So I decided I would let the handle help keep my hand dry since my hands sweat a small amount. But not so much to make the handle really sweat soaked.

Der_Echte, on the other hand, needs an absorbent grip to absorb the waterfall.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I have been thinking about sealing the handle as well, but decided not to do it (this time). When I checked the blade that I'm currently using, I saw that the handle isn't really dirty whatsoever.

Regarding the sealing procedure, it's really a nice method. To me it seems that using a piece of a cotton cloth is more convenient than using a brush for example. Both the cloth and the thinned Polyurethane make it easier to apply a really thin, even layer. Thanks for pointing out this method.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have been thinking about sealing the handle as well, but decided not to do it (this time). When I checked the blade that I'm currently using, I saw that the handle isn't really dirty whatsoever.

Regarding the sealing procedure, it's really a nice method. To me it seems that using a piece of a cotton cloth is more convenient than using a brush for example. Both the cloth and the thinned Polyurethane make it easier to apply a really thin, even layer. Thanks for pointing out this method.

You did a great job.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: Jirrex