Zhang Jike fined 45.000 euros!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Jimmy, first many thanks for doing your video highlights - I've greatly enjoyed watching them on youtube.

However, while I agree with you that table tennis needs good emotion, this particular form of "emotion" is not "good". What if Kanak Jha had done something similar after winning the 2014 ITTF North America Cup - would you've still approved it? Would you really encourage and nod approvingly when little kids in the USA win a local tournament and then go and try to break some barriers while emulating their idol?

Reactions: promicinalcplus
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
The money shouldnt be taken away from him because, there was no rule that said ripping your shirt off (as he did before) and breaking a stupid, next to nothing cost, advertising panel, was forbitten.

1st he should get a WARNING, that next time he does that, he wont receive any prize. If he does it again then suspention. Like Luis Suarez in football. Warning 1st, and 2nd time you do it punishment. Simple as that!

This user has no status.
I honestly didn't think they were made of breakable cardboard so it was a bit like 'wow' when they exploded. Destroying the arena's property in celebration - probably not the smartest thing to do. Too much of a punishment though. An apology and payment to replace the barriers is all that's needed.

It's passion and personalities that the sport needs to get audiences interested. It was fun to watch John McEnroe play tennis back in his days. He had attitude. A little bit of humour, anger, ego and quirky behavior in players is what people enjoy. "Character". TT can be pretty robotic sometimes. A little spice in the players can't hurt. Go ZJK!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
As I said earlier, those must have been the most expensive barriers ZJK has ever kicked/broke lol.

I see the both sides of this but I think the punishment is just too big. 45 000 (!) USD is a HUGE prize in table tennis and to take it ALL away is a little too much I think. Of course it was a bad gesture for all kids to see but to be honest TT needs players like ZJK and Maze who does the things in their way and are unique persons in their own way.

Btw, did you guys also notice Liu Guoliang whispering something to ZJK after the final (and the celebration)? He didn't talk with Ma Long at all, only with ZJK. He must have talked to ZJK about the celebration there. Idk what he told him though. Perhaps to refuse to take the prize money as to apologize for kicking the barriers?

This user has no status.
I was a little surprised to see that when watching the match. I didn't like to see that, but for me it's just a way to release tension, just an anecdotal thing nothing more.

Now, i'm more surprised with the punishment from the Ittf. What is the kind of lesson Zhang is givins us? I just enjoyed the match, maybe i'll practise how to serve like him, just that. I dont think anyone will start breaking things only because Zhang do it. I don't think it's good for the players to make them repress themselves.

It's a shame that some authorities sometimes seems to forget that pro players are just normal people (who just plays tt reallyy well). However, if it's ok or not what he did, i'm sure it's not a good way to solve it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
As I said earlier, those must have been the most expensive barriers ZJK has ever kicked/broke lol.

I see the both sides of this but I think the punishment is just too big. 45 000 (!) USD is a HUGE prize in table tennis and to take it ALL away is a little too much I think. Of course it was a bad gesture for all kids to see but to be honest TT needs players like ZJK and Maze who does the things in their way and are unique persons in their own way.
Btw, did you guys also notice Liu Guoliang whispering something to ZJK after the final (and the celebration)? He didn't talk with Ma Long at all, only with ZJK. He must have talked to ZJK about the celebration there. Idk what he told him though. Perhaps to refuse to take the prize money as to apologize for kicking the barriers?

Were you inside the stadium and saw that? I think he did talked to ma long and comfort him, in the live streaming he talks to ZJK and then walks towards ma long but then the camera changes. So im not 100% sure if he did talk to ML after the game. Anyway even if he didnt at that point LGL always has a small talk with his players after a big loss in tournaments. I dont thinkg LGL favors specific players, he just let them fight to the death :p

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
His behaviour is not too much astonishing, personally I was just curious what he would do this time, rip his shirt (no, not again), forget the shakehand with Ma Long (no, not this time, after he won)... OK, I think the first kick was accidential, he just missed the jump, but in a second he found it funny so repeated it without thinking behaving like a stoned rock "star" destroying instruments on a concert. I was pitiful and a sign that despite his age he is still emotionally immature. And by the way it's also a sign that the legendary methods of the Chinese coaches - I refer namely to Liu's methods applied to ZJK - are not more than legends, as in the end they don't work very well. In my opinion a fine is OK, though it seems excessive, and anyway. I believe this time the Chinese coaches will find something more painful (but silent, as in China he is a national hero).

And though I'm a great fan of ZJK and value his playing style even more than ML's, I don't think he deserved to win this time. I don't want to spread any conspiracy theory :cool:, but it's a fact that in the past the Chinese coaches used to point the winner in all-Chinese finals, later on it was said that the players themselves decided on the basis of the third set etc. This time after the third set (!) I told my wife - look, now Ma will win 2 sets, then Zhang the sixth and after a close battle he will take the seventh. And indeed, though we've seen a lot of fine rallies, there were so too many (relatively) simple faults... and some of them in crucial moments. Can the plastic balls be blamed for all of them ?

Sure we will never learn, as perhaps all these reflections are nothing more than figments of an overheated imagination, but once the coach of our national team told us that Guo Yue Hua with whom he used to play in the same team in the 80-ies admitted after many years that some of his titles were just "given" to him.....

I would like to know why they were given to him, provide the story please if u know . Such kind of info is always great :)

In modern era table tennis I dont think the chinese fix the matches cause I dont see the need on doing so. Besides if they did, they would give MaLong or Ma lin a world champioship title they have a bigger fanbase than Wang Hao or Wang Liqin. Its boring to see WLQ and ZJK winning 2 consecutive world titles and its bad for the promotion of the sport

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Does anyone know what happens in a similar incident in football? I think banning Zhang Jike for some matches like you get in football perhaps rather than taking prize money. Just interested in other sporting incidences.

Hi dan, Serena won this event and broke her raquet on route and nothing happened to her.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I think it was a bit to much to destroy two barriers, but I still prefer to see some emotions and reactions after a win! Hate when people are winning something big without showing some happiness! I think it's wrong not giving him the prize money, I mean he just couldn't control the adrenaline after the win, he is only human.