Zhang Jike fined 45.000 euros!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
It would be very unpleasant for me, but I'd blame no one but myself for behaving like an idiot and breaking the rules of the competition set out by the event organizers. This is called taking responsibility.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with the actual celebration of the win. E.g. like he did when he beat Wang Hao and ripped his shirt for the first time. And I fully expected ZJK to do something similar again, only more spectacular. However, destruction of property is where I personally have to draw a line.

What pains me most is that the final was a super-exciting match, one of the best between ML and ZJK as far I am concerned. And instead of having articles in mass media about ML's and ZJK's personalities and backgrounds, about how unbelievably athletic they are, how lightning-fast their reactions have to be to play at such speed, and how much tactics is involved in proper table tennis, all we end up with is stories with "epic fail" in the title that mention only the destruction of the barriers, the fine, and the spectator fights for the champion's shirt. Not one of these stories had a link to even a short form of the match, just the "celebration".

The mass media is not going to speak of Table Tennis personalities, Table Tennis athleticism, etc., anytime soon. Jike's destruction of two cardboard barriers didn't rob any positive press that was otherwise coming. In fact, his antics brought all kinds of press that would have otherwise not come at all.

The nice thing about the celebration was that it was real, unstaged emotion. Table Tennis and its popularity is directly related to the effort, ideas, and money being spent by the business people behind the sport. If the sport is to grow bigger, it will need to be presented better, with more business minded people in the sport. There is no greater example of this than the failure of its growth in the U.S. It is not the sport that has failed here, it is the business people behind the sport (or lack there-of) that have failed.

For some reason the main stream media loves to poke fun at Table Tennis here in the U.S., although that is starting to change because many celebrities here have started playing recreationally which is beginning to create an image that Table Tennis is "cool" to play.

The sport has come a long ways, but is still far from advanced in its thinking. Just to pick a simple example, why would we offer only one world singles championship every 2 years? Really? Tennis is genius in that it created 4 grand slams a year. The public values each one equal to a world championships, and Tennis athletes are defined by how many grand slams they win. Tennis athletes get an opportunity 4 times every year to make a name for themselves, and the sport sells 4 huge events a year for tv and sponsors.

One quick way to become a nothing, is to create a system for you and your athletes that runs your biggest event once every two years. Quite foolish, and dinosaur thinking by the ITTF.

"People have no idea what they could have here." -Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey (NBA)

That is a quote from an NBA GM in the U.S. who likes Table Tennis and who looks at our business model.

Table Tennis lacks top of the line, business minded people behind it. Those are the people that will propel it forward, not our World Cup final, which only die hard Table Tennis enthuisists care about, along with China where the sport is built from a business prospective to a respectable degree

Reactions: Michal_Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Expanding on that further, I've always said that if you are trying to become bigger and/or do things better, start by copying working models already out there. Why not take a lesson from Tennis and create 4 huge events a year for Table Tennis. Call them our 4 grand slams(we can tweak the name). Define our athletes by how many grand slams they win, and create more opportunity for the sport, sponsors, tv, and everyone involved.

Run a World single's championships every year, add the world cup singles each year, add the ittf pro tour finals, and create one more( or go with those 3). Define greatness by those events each year, and market it in a way that promotes these events as your big daddys. Forget this junk where you have to win an Olympics every 4 years or a Worlds every 2 years. That system doesn't work....if it did Tennis would be copying our model. Do you notice nobody ever seems to copy Table Tennis? That's because our business model stinks.

Reactions: Michal_Z
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
And there is normally also a rule for destroying any equipment: You will be disqualified and threw out of the hall. Without any pice money or a title. All other violations of this kind of aggression should be charged the same way.
He wasnt disqualified on that game
He was never thrown out of the hall
He still stood on the champions platform..
Yes ,you saw that right

Now where is the standard ittf rules now? Stripping zjk off of his price.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Expanding on that further, I've always said that if you are trying to become bigger and/or do things better, start by copying working models already out there. Why not take a lesson from Tennis and create 4 huge events a year for Table Tennis. Call them our 4 grand slams(we can tweak the name). Define our athletes by how many grand slams they win, and create more opportunity for the sport, sponsors, tv, and everyone involved.

Run a World single's championships every year, add the world cup singles each year, add the ittf pro tour finals, and create one more( or go with those 3). Define greatness by those events each year, and market it in a way that promotes these events as your big daddys. Forget this junk where you have to win an Olympics every 4 years or a Worlds every 2 years. That system doesn't work....if it did Tennis would be copying our model. Do you notice nobody ever seems to copy Table Tennis? That's because our business model stinks.
Hi! This is all nice, but from my point of view I wouldn't change quantity of world cups. I would make, as you said, 4 big tournaments, but I wouldn't increase amount of world cups.
Why? Because when there is more world cups, it is going to lose its prestige. For example in football (I know it is absolutely different sport ) is world cup every four years. Imagine being it every year, or two times a year. Would you think it would be so big event for everybody? And winning of it wouldn't be such a success as it is now, would it?
I know this from ice hockey, where is world cup each year. There is very small prestige in winning it and even players would rather play in NHL than in world cup. Imagine this situation in TT. Player would prefer playing in TT Bundesliga rather then take part in world cup with national teams. Please never change amount of the world cups - I would like to make more big tournaments in year, but never, never world cups!

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
says Aging is a killer
Hi! This is all nice, but from my point of view I wouldn't change quantity of world cups. I would make, as you said, 4 big tournaments, but I wouldn't increase amount of world cups.
Why? Because when there is more world cups, it is going to lose its prestige. For example in football (I know it is absolutely different sport ) is world cup every four years. Imagine being it every year, or two times a year. Would you think it would be so big event for everybody? And winning of it wouldn't be such a success as it is now, would it?
I know this from ice hockey, where is world cup each year. There is very small prestige in winning it and even players would rather play in NHL than in world cup. Imagine this situation in TT. Player would prefer playing in TT Bundesliga rather then take part in world cup with national teams. Please never change amount of the world cups - I would like to make more big tournaments in year, but never, never world cups!

You would be surprised about that. The top footballers are paid so much money by their clubs that many don't want to jeopardise their club place by playing in the WC and getting injured. Remember, only 5 clubs or so pay top dollar to all their players.
Others want to play the world cup as they know that a good performance would enhance their saleability to get into a big club.
But they all say they want to play the WC as to do otherwise would mean certain ostracism by their home association and fans.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
If you are still surprised about the decisions the Chinmese coachs can make please read the following article:
http://tabletennista.com/2014/10/li...-to-lose-against-zhang-jike-in-london-video//

I don't say it happens every time and averywhere, but it appears it still happens, sometimes for reasons difficult to understand. I'm quite sure that in the recent case (if there is a case at all) of the World Cup it could be about money. But we have a saying "if you don't know what it's all about, it's certainly about money". I believe or at least would like to believe that at the national level it is not about money (then something else, as described in the article), but most surely it is at lower levels. I read an article , will try to find it again, about the level of corruption in the Chinese TT at all levels, basically pointing at heavily competing players who want to play as it's the only way they can gain money and coaches that that don't gain money but it is them who decide who will play ...I was sort of stunned reading this but the system is easy to understand

read the other article about LGL "misunderstood by the media". Table tennista is not a reliable source of information and has proven himself of low liability, spreading rumors just to get hits on his page many times. There is absolutely no logic in fixing a game like that, too many careers on the line if someone talks

He has also written an article saying that ZJK himself offered the prize money to the ITTF expressing his apology which is totally "produced" news out of nowhere. TAble tennista acts some times like a table tennis tabloid. If you ask me TT fans dont really care if ovtcharov is getting married wang hao having a baby or li xiaoxia interested for a boyfriend. Its a sports game not pop music, but then again its my personal opinion, I admire the players and i dont care what they do in their lives

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
ZJK could have thumped his fists into the air and torn his shirt to pieces to the delight of the spectators in the hall and everyone else watching online or via TV. He could have even done an "Adam Bobrow"-style dance. People would have loved this and joked about it forever.

Oh my, can you really imagine this happening? :D :D :D
I would laugh so loud that neighbours would knock on my door :D

------

To the topic - I was really surprised when I saw Zhang kicking the barriers.. Not for a second I thought it was an accident.
That was pure purpose and it was not nice!
I said - wov, really? Thats just awful..
Then I learned about the price money - well .. not apropriate I think .. but you never know whats behind it..

Thats from me ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
It has been decided that Zhang Jike's $45,000 prize money that he lost for kicking the sponsorship surrounds after winning the Men's ‪#‎ITTFWorldCup‬ will fund an Annual Fair Play Award.

Zhang Jike had this to say about the award: "I am happy that the money will be offered to a Fair Play Award. This will give a good example to the younger players."

https://m.facebook.com/ITTFWorld/ph...47825843832:mf_story_key.-1212312838410438453