Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
It's amazing to see another penholder using single ply hinoki. The thickness is uncomfortable but RPB is still possible.

Passionate about TT

It took me sometime to get used to the tensor rubbers after having played with tacky rubbers for a loooong time.

But what took me sometime to get used to was the mental issue of playing with a blade that was physically smaller than the other CPen blades I've used which were closer to 'standard size', whatever that may be for CPen blades.

I've posted pix before of the AH and laying it on top of my other blades, but through the pix, it's not as noticeable as if you were holding it.

It was all in my head, but finally got used to the smaller blade size.

As to the thickness, yeah, i didn't sand the wings down too much yet, my tpb punch/block game is still not the best. But that's offset by my developing RPB loop game. So i may or may not be able to implement the RPB block/punch over my TPB punch/block. But it took awhile for me to get used to the overall thickness of the blade.

My initial reaction to a standard CPen blade with an extra rubber/sponge was discomfort in wrist. Having played ages as a single sided TPB PHer, and being older, the wrist discomfort was probably a combo of carpal tunnel syndrome and wrist not used to the heavier weight of 2 inverted.

Due to the smaller blade size of the AH, I can hold and use the racket with 2 inverted sheets.

Reactions: Suga D and suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
When my long pips is on, i don't want to resort to using it in this fashion ... imagine i would use it on serve receive to compensate for my lack of serve receive. But i don't want to resort to this crutch, the real issue is not to use a stopgap technique when i really should learn to serve receive properly

Truer words have never been spoken.

Unless you're playing a mordern defender game where you're willing to lay off & chop (of which I'd ask why arn't you playing shakehand than) I don't like having them on there.

Ever noticed how if you take some time off or don't practice something all that much it gets rusty? Well same thing for service receive. When I played LPs twiddle, it was too easy to use that as a crutch and return most serves with that. Then your service reading game gets rusty.

I'm just now really starting to roll into the point where I'm approaching service receive with the mindset that if it's off the table, I loop. Mostly soft loop and that's pretty safe. And that opens up the more agressive game.

With the LPs, my play was just too passive and it just didn't suit me.

I'm finally embracing trying to do what comes easy to me. So i'm standing in my far back corner on service receive where I can FH open up vs most serves in placement and playing more cutiously most of the time on serves that come to my BH with TPB. Do I use the RPB all that much? Not really. Most of my game is set around playing the FH. But i'm glad it's there when I need it. ex: they pop one up to the BH side and I don't have to try to TPB a high ball.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Among all this excitment for the main draw in the German Open, I completely missed that my new fav penholder Xue Fei (best current RPB on the planet) took yet another campionship in the German Open men's under 21.

Congrats to him. Hopefully we'll continue to see him thrive.

Championship match:

Last edited:
Yo guys, I'm a modern cpen player! about 6 months ago I switched from old school one sided penhold to the modern penhold with RPB. I just have one problem though, when the ball comes to me at a medium speed, I can do RBP but if it is a fast ball them I just automatically switch to TPB. My muscle memory wants me to do TPB but I'm forcing it to do RPB. Does anyone have any tips? thanks :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yo guys, I'm a modern cpen player! about 6 months ago I switched from old school one sided penhold to the modern penhold with RPB. I just have one problem though, when the ball comes to me at a medium speed, I can do RBP but if it is a fast ball them I just automatically switch to TPB. My muscle memory wants me to do TPB but I'm forcing it to do RPB. Does anyone have any tips? thanks :)

Ya so I use RPB without TPB. When a fast ball comes back to me, I always use RPB because in my mind, everything TPB can do, RPB can do. You can push, block etc in RPB. So in my mind I never need to use TPB.

If muscle memory is an issue, I think maybe try to flat hit more with RPB side? Not sure unless I can see some videos

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello Hurricane_boss:

Welcome to TTD as well as this Penholder thread!

I am trying out RPB also and like you coming from TPB. My best advice is:

If you want to give up on TPB altogether, you must use RPB ALL the time in training. Not sure if you are playing tournaments where you may have to pay an entry fee, etc. Not sure if you want to give up on TPB in those cases.

To truly get good at something, you have to repeat it over and over until your 'muscles remember it'. As you have TPB muscle memory, it will take time to 'forget it'.

Think back to when you started PH, it took some time for you to get used to FH or using your footwork to accomodate your FH. First, you probably were not that good, but in time you got better. Same with TPB, you started off a little weak, but in time, it's 'muscle memory'.

If you want to exclusively play RPB, and not conscious TPB play, then you have a lot of work ahead of you.

I use both, but lately have been concentrating on RPB and it is sporadically working during a match.

Good luck in your training and welcome again to TTD/this thread!

~osph

Last edited:
Yeah when I'm training I try to exclusively use RPB, whether I'm blocking, punching or looping. I coach kids and when I feed for them I exclusively use TPB. In match play I am slightly confused, but mostly play the BH that is most comfortable at the time. I have much better control and can chop block TPB, but rpb is so much more versatile when properly used. Occasionally when I am practicing games casually I try to do every shot with the BH side (touch, push, loop, kill, serve). I lose quite a bit but i learn a lot from that. I also do with with FH. Probably more important than developing strokes, this improves footwork no end as well.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Unless you're playing a mordern defender game where you're willing to lay off & chop (of which I'd ask why arn't you playing shakehand than) I don't like having them on there.

Ever noticed how if you take some time off or don't practice something all that much it gets rusty? Well same thing for service receive. When I played LPs twiddle, it was too easy to use that as a crutch and return most serves with that. Then your service reading game gets rusty.

I'm just now really starting to roll into the point where I'm approaching service receive with the mindset that if it's off the table, I loop. Mostly soft loop and that's pretty safe. And that opens up the more agressive game.

With the LPs, my play was just too passive and it just didn't suit me.

I'm finally embracing trying to do what comes easy to me. So i'm standing in my far back corner on service receive where I can FH open up vs most serves in placement and playing more cutiously most of the time on serves that come to my BH with TPB. Do I use the RPB all that much? Not really. Most of my game is set around playing the FH. But i'm glad it's there when I need it. ex: they pop one up to the BH side and I don't have to try to TPB a high ball.

I Find LP PH twiddle to be super super interesting, but it just seems like too much work. You have so many options of return on every ball so it's really hard to decide when to attack and when to defend. Like I started to learn some setups (RPB spinny loop, then chop block or loop kill) etc, but the limitations and differences between FH and BH are already overly complicated in PH by having 2 sides BH. Adding LP just makes it more involved strategically, adding to the complexity and knowledge needed to master it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't recall the name of the player, but IIRC, Suga D posted a German player that plays with a JPen and does a RPB loop, etc!

Good memory, my friend. His name's Qiu Dang.

Oh really? Who is he? Because I haven't seen this guy before. Sounds interesting

His father, mother and brother play as well.
The Brother is Qiu Liang
Father is Qiu Jian Xin
Mother is Hong Chen

They also run a TT-school in Germany.
https://qiutts.de

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I saw comments about LP and twiddling. It reminded me of this guy.
There is a series of 5 videos where this old man, huang, playing with LP and inverted twiddles. He effortlessly beats all but one of his opponents. The one opponent that beat Huang is very good. Huang didn't have a chance.
Oh yeah, there are a lot of illegal serves.

23798783_1998343747046506_1198688782_o.jpg
I just got my new cpen set up..
Hurricane Hao 2 with fh: nittaku fastarc g-1 max and victas stiff 1.8 as rpb...
I don't know the difference between hurricane hao 2 and hurricane hao 656..
I also wanna know if sealing the blade will affect its playing characteristics..
my previous set up is stiga clipper cr non wrb with skyline 2 neo as fh
and mark v as rpb...
I know its a bad idea to suddenly move from a completely different set up.. but I hate the stiffness of my clipper and wish to play as a looper