The jurassic man in action

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
There is no hope :) , right now you are too full of yourself too understand that your attitude will stop you from growing to your true potential.
If you developed like I did, and seeing where you come from, then it makes sense, doesn't it? :p

Don't worry, though. This is not my usual serve technique. My serve is actually pretty good when I get low, keep the elbow higher and hinge on the right axis, but it feels a bit unfair against lower level players. ;)

@ttmonster

See you in at least 2 years, then. I can't afford to purchase my own custom setup with a rubber I like just to beat on some recreational players.

The only part I can fulfill right now is better video quality and better angle.

Also, if you're trying to say that I'm bullshitting and posted a clip of me getting lucky while playing some rubbish player, do take into account that A: Fundamentals do not appear out of thin air and B: This is my worst level.

I understand the need to be skeptical and I don't assume you're going to say anything nice when I post a video to get criticism, but do also understand that like Nextlevel had proved, one video of someone not playing well is not an accurate representation of their game.

Also, about my form of criticism:

I understand your point. I'm too thick skinned myself to care, but I'm trying to tone it down, because I do admit that if people shat on me, I'd still post more video, but perhaps not be as enthusiastic about it.

I'm a far more strict critic of myself than you will ever be able to be, though, so you don't need to compete. :p

says what [IMG]
@RajaLoopah

It's better than my worst level, at least. Probably the only thing I do better is the lack of windmill slaps.
;)

@ttmonster

You are merely reciting what my philosophy teacher has told me, so it's not like I'm not unaware of the fact. I'm not denying it.

You'd be wrong to think there's no hope, though. That's quite a grave judgment for a person who is probably not enlightened themselves.

In the case you are enlightened and wise, I refuse to believe in the instance of an enlightened and wise person attempting to discourage someone and urging them to not attempt to take control of their ego. :rolleyes:

We must remember that people only get frustrated and annoyed at other people if they see features of themselves in them that they are not willing to accept or do not enjoy. ;)

EDIT:

@NextLevel

I don't think I will be fit to be a proper good coach any time soon. So I don't think it's to be expected.

For the meanwhile, I will just harness the good things that my egoism provides. It's not like it's totally out of control and I can't connect with anyone and everyone hates me.

EDIT 2: What the **** is with this text color changing?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
@RajaLoopah

It's better than my worst level, at least. Probably the only thing I do better is the lack of windmill slaps.
;)

@ttmonster

You are merely reciting what my philosophy teacher has told me, so it's not like I'm not unaware of the fact. I'm not denying it.

You'd be wrong to think there's no hope, though. That's quite a grave judgment for a person who is probably not enlightened themselves.

In the case you are enlightened and wise, I refuse to believe in the instance of an enlightened and wise person attempting to discourage someone and urging them to not attempt to take control of their ego. :rolleyes:

We must remember that people only get frustrated and annoyed at other people if they see features of themselves in them that they are not willing to accept or do not enjoy. ;)

EDIT:

@NextLevel

I don't think I will be fit to be a proper good coach any time soon. So I don't think it's to be expected.

For the meanwhile, I will just harness the good things that my egoism provides. It's not like it's totally out of control and I can't connect with anyone and everyone hates me.

EDIT 2: What the **** is with this text color changing?

I am the left handed without those windmill slaps.

Reactions: Shuki and ttmonster
says what [IMG]
Evidence?

There's probably no scientific evidence, but if you dig deep into it, you will find it to be somewhat true in most cases.

I have found people to get the most annoyed by people who do the things that they themselves consider improper, stupid, negative etc. and they feel shame and annoyance in knowing that, if just occasionally, they do it themselves as well. Thus they take it out as frustration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There's probably no scientific evidence, but if you dig deep into it, you will find it to be somewhat true in most cases.

I have found people to get the most annoyed by people who do the things that they themselves consider improper, stupid, negative etc. and they feel shame and annoyance in knowing that, if just occasionally, they do it themselves as well. Thus they take it out as frustration.

Scientific evidence for a statement with the word "only" is kinda impossible, don't you think?

It takes empathy to be able to understand motives so that's the basis of your position even if the exact statement goes a bit beyond that. And sometimes, these things are age-related, so it may not be "do", but "did". There is also the possibility of experience with someone who drove them crazy with such behavior.

Just having fun.

Reactions: Shuki and ttmonster
says what [IMG]
Replace only with usually, then. ;)

Anyway:

What do you guys suggest I do to produce more topspin on my strokes, without changing the technique to something different entirely?

Carl mentioned the shallow swing. Surely, if I swing more vertical and with less angle, it will either go long or I will lose pace. At the same time, we know that better players generate more spin with the same stroke at the same pace.

So is a brushing motion more preferable? I'm already brushing enough to occasionally miss the ball when looping and barely even move it forward when I contact it. Surely attempting to brush more would just end up with me doing a brush loop.

Or is there some kind of dark magic involved?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In all this the ridiculous attitude that is the actual issue is still the same. You don't even realize how much better every player in every video you've commented on is than you. For a kid who is basically self taught you are decent. Your not terrible. But, you attitude is. And that seems to still be at issue as of now.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: ttmonster

NDH

says Spin to win!
Replace only with usually, then. ;)

Anyway:

What do you guys suggest I do to produce more topspin on my strokes, without changing the technique to something different entirely?

Carl mentioned the shallow swing. Surely, if I swing more vertical and with less angle, it will either go long or I will lose pace. At the same time, we know that better players generate more spin with the same stroke at the same pace.

So is a brushing motion more preferable? I'm already brushing enough to occasionally miss the ball when looping and barely even move it forward when I contact it. Surely attempting to brush more would just end up with me doing a brush loop.

Or is there some kind of dark magic involved?

If you are using bad pre made bats, your stroke is fine - You'll struggle to get a decent top spin loop with those pre made bats (hence the harder hitting motion you were doing).

Lets say you were using a better set up.... You would want to accelerate through the shot at a higher angle - Your stroke is very flat (probably because of the equipment) - With a better bat, you would generate more top spin with the same stroke.

However, for even more spin, you'd want to go ever so slightly more down to up (but not massively).

says what [IMG]
If you are using bad pre made bats, your stroke is fine - You'll struggle to get a decent top spin loop with those pre made bats (hence the harder hitting motion you were doing).

Lets say you were using a better set up.... You would want to accelerate through the shot at a higher angle - Your stroke is very flat (probably because of the equipment) - With a better bat, you would generate more top spin with the same stroke.

However, for even more spin, you'd want to go ever so slightly more down to up (but not massively).

I was thinking something like that. I'm just not quick to jump on the "my forehand rubber is not good enough" bandwagon, because I'm sure a pro would do better with the exact same junk equipment. ;)

But, for what I have, the best thing to do is to change the angle just a bit?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

That's my impression as well. If you (Archo) aren't using custom equipment, you may have the wrong impression of what is happening. But you might. A lot of this depends on your actual level of exposure to high level TT in Finland.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I have to agree NextLevel, but there might be the outside chance that those successful people might have been more successful if they were able to get over their ego. There are multiple paths to success and sometimes , just sometimes people who have traveled those paths unsuccessfully might know a thing or two to make the burden lighter
Lot of successful people are like that. Just not good coaches ;).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was thinking something like that. I'm just not quick to jump on the "my forehand rubber is not good enough" bandwagon, because I'm sure a pro would do better with the exact same junk equipment. ;)

Doing real strokes with bad equipment can be pretty dangerous. Don't trivialize the influence of equipment in TT. There is a difference between saying that equipment does not determine your level and equipment does not influence the strokes you can play. The former is mostly true, while the latter is very false.

Reactions: Archosaurus
says what [IMG]
I've produced some above average shots in my time and the contact felt different and sharper, and I am certain the shot had more spin. So I won't be too fast to assume my technique has fully caught up to the equipment, because in those shots, I did the things described here.

The reason I don't do those kind of shots every time (The flatter hitting is a conscious decision) is because it doesn't feel consistent. Most likely due to my technique, but perhaps the equipment has something to do with it. It's a real struggle to produce truly good spin because I have extremely low time to brush the ball compared to the better setups I've played.

This user has no status.
Doing real strokes with bad equipment can be pretty dangerous. Don't trivialize the influence of equipment in TT. There is a difference between saying that equipment does not determine your level and equipment does not influence the strokes you can play. The former is mostly true, while the latter is very false.

There was one time I forgot to bring my Akrasia lol
I borrowed a racket, an Addoy 3000 with RITC rubbers on both sides
and still beaten my teammate with it :D he was using Black devil a Tenergy 80 and Nimbus
like what I always post and is engraved in my head what the veterans here always tell me
It is not in the bow but in the Indian.

NDH

says Spin to win!

I don't know just how un-spinny (real word?) your rubbers are.

If they are like the pre made bats you get here in the UK - You'll always struggle to consistently produce a nice top spin loop - Even with perfect form.

But in theory, if the rubbers aren't "THAT" bad, then yes, slightly more down to up will produce more loop and top spin.

My concern (if I were you), would be that by producing the desired effect on the ball using the bad bat.... You'll cripple yourself further down the line when you do invest in a better set up.

Unfortunately, there's no way to replicate the equipment - The loop you will be doing with that bat, will need to be much more "open" (less brushed) than the loop you'd do with a "proper" bat.

Am I making sense, or is it coming out confusing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@RajaLoopah : Your form, footwork and stroke production is really nice. One small thing might help you, when you are receiving serve , and you are not sure about the amount and kind of spin , it might be helpful to start with coming across the side of the ball instead of taking the momentum ( both spin and linear ) directly. Kind of like what you see Samsonov do with most of his short receives. Once you start reading the spin more accurately you can take the ball more head on during receive .... this has helped me a lot recently and I though I will pass it on ..

This is how I play a few months back this was filmed last November. through the tips from these wonderful guys
here in TTDaily I have improved a lot I mean a lot :)

BTW this was my last game for the day or you can say my worst level
I started playing at around 4 pm and this video is around 8 in the evening
after doing a lot of physicals and matchplay. and I was using Akrasia with Hurricane 3 fh at that time.

This user has no status.
@RajaLoopah : Your form, footwork and stroke production is really nice. One small thing might help you, when you are receiving serve , and you are not sure about the amount and kind of spin , it might be helpful to start with coming across the side of the ball instead of taking the momentum ( both spin and linear ) directly. Kind of like what you see Samsonov do with most of his short receives. Once you start reading the spin more accurately you can take the ball more head on during receive .... this has helped me a lot recently and I though I will pass it on ..

I already fixed that coincidentally using that method :)
by watching how Timo Boll and Xu Xin play hehe
the short receive of timo and xu's aggressiveness where if the ball pops
or goes long attack the hell out of it lol
the truth is I don't have proper training I learned through imitation.