Which team do you want to win the World Team Championships?

• Germany

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • China

Votes: 68 55.3%
  • Japan

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • France

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Chinese Taipei

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

• Sweden

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
1 USD = 8.8 SEK
eng20171128.jpg

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Out of curiosity, how much were the tickets? Let's say if someone wanted to be there for the entire tournament, how much would it cost? Tempted to go at some point, just for experience...

I think it was 2500 Swedish krona (which I think is around 250 euro) for all the days. I paid 1500 kr for Thursday - Sunday. We also decided to get the ticket for Wednesday which was 300 kr. Definitely worth it, it was an amazing experience.

I wouldn’t mind missing out on the final even, the semis and quarters is where you’d get the most out of your money.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I know many will disagree with me but the rest of the world is slowly catching up and I dont think we are too far away from a china knockout either in singles or team event. There are several threats from different countries and their confidence against china is much better if we compare it to 10-15 years ago when the only rivals were timo and ryu

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I know many will disagree with me but the rest of the world is slowly catching up and I dont think we are too far away from a china knockout either in singles or team event. There are several threats from different countries and their confidence against china is much better if we compare it to 10-15 years ago when the only rivals were timo and ryu

All we need is to wait until XX and ML retire and hope that Timo will still be in a great shape by that time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Hell yeah, see the dominance of China is very good but at the same time can be very boring, I think for the sake of any sport balance is the thing

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
If there is a chance then it is because China has evolved into a more humane society where money, fame are stimulating factors like the rest of the world. Once these promising players realize there are more than just tale tennis in their life then nothing the Chinese communist can do to stop them from having fun ha ha....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I know what you mean but I think those who disagree with you are closer to the truth. And as Ilia rightly said, it might be more the retirement of Ma Long and Xu Xin than the growth of new players. But here is my take:

Liang Jingkun seems to be stepping it up in the gym and diet arena. That will give China another FZD level power athlete if he doesn't fall off the bandwagon. I dont see serious competition in team events through 2025.

Other than Korea and Japan, I dont find the other global teams encouraging. And even then there is a gap. The Japanese women are probably the biggest pursuers and they still need a really physical athlete as they all lose in the size/power department.

On the whole, the world needs more special talents. Harimoto might be one for Japan. Franziska was expected to be one for Germany and see how that turned out. Niwa for Japan as well.

Singles is higher probability than team - much higher. Team, no.

Finally they need to stop with the equipment changes. China is the only one with the resources to fully adapt. Legalize boosting and level the playing field.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If there is a chance then it is because China has evolved into a more humane society where money, fame are stimulating factors like the rest of the world. Once these promising players realize there are more than just tale tennis in their life then nothing the Chinese communist can do to stop them from having fun ha ha....
I agree but that shouldn't be a factor for the next 10 yrs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I know what you mean but I think those who disagree with you are closer to the truth. And as Ilia rightly said, it might be more the retirement of Ma Long and Xu Xin than the growth of new players. But here is my take:

Liang Jingkun seems to be stepping it up in the gym and diet arena. That will give China another FZD level power athlete if he doesn't fall off the bandwagon. I dont see serious competition in team events through 2025.

Other than Korea and Japan, I dont find the other global teams encouraging. And even then there is a gap. The Japanese women are probably the biggest pursuers and they still need a really physical athlete as they all lose in the size/power department.

On the whole, the world needs more special talents. Harimoto might be one for Japan. Franziska was expected to be one for Germany and see how that turned out. Niwa for Japan as well.

Finally they need to stop with the equipment changes. China is the only one with the resources to fully adapt. Legalize boosting and level the playing field.

But as you say, Korea and Japan are looking good for the next generation. The coming CNT generation also looks good, but not overwhelming like ZJK, XX, ML and FZD. Those four make a golden generation (or generation and a half) that isn't likely to be matched anytime soon.

CNT has raised the bar for everyone including themselves. It's getting harder to dominate. It doesn't happen quickly even for the most talented and skillful players. They have to build a career trajectory that leads to dominance, and this is becoming increasingly difficult with so many more serious challengers to fill the brackets in every tournament.

Jan 2018
What does the cradling gesture Ma Long did mean? Is it really because he's a father now as Adam interpreted? Personally, I think he's cradling the championship trophy cause he knows China's gonna win. But I also don't think that Ma Long could be that arrogrant/unsportsmanlike sooo...I'm not sure

ML's response when asked about that at the press conference.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/pingpang/2018-05-07/doc-ihacuuvu1487317.shtml
“也没想这么多吧,想到就做了,现在确实网络力量太大了,所以想大家别跟风。”
(I never thought much about it. Just did it on a whim. The power of the internet is too strong nowadays, so I hope people will not mimic that.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
I am sad. Who knows if Timo Boll can keep this form for Tokyo? This could have been the big clash. The final chance Germany has of beating China. Then all these injuries happen. If Dima was in full force Boll wouldn't have to play 2 matches against Korea and thus he wouldn't have been so exhausted against Ma Long. Franziska showed that the chinese aren't as unbeatable as they looked in the final

Jan 2018
DO actually told the German press that "But we do not have to fool ourselves if the World Cup had started in November, I would have said: We have every chance, but now our chances have narrowed."
https://www.morgenpost.de/sport/art...chtennis-WM-Ovtcharov-macht-Fortschritte.html

The best chance Germany had at beating China was actually at Moscow 2010. The team was way stronger with Christian Suss. China was vulnerable as WH chickened out, forcing LGL to field ZJK(even ML, XX and FZD had to sit out on their 1st team final), who was a complete rookie in terms of WTTTC experience. Suss actually had a shot as he took game 1 and had a big lead in game 2.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
XX losing in counterlooping rallies. TO called (…)

That by itself is an astounding fact. I've come late to reading this and know in the end Xu Xin overcame Patrick Franziska anyway, but here's the thing. When I returned to and recovered my game, there were a lot of opponents I couldn't touch, that seemed invincible to me. But once precisely this happened, when I started to get along in and actually win more and more counterlooping rallies, then that sheen of invincibility suddenly disappeared and I began to realize they just might be within reach.

Not today for Franziska, and maybe not ever against a Xu Xin in prime form. Yet if this is true, things are at least getting from irrelevant territory into comparable, though not yet equal, footing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Out of curiosity, how much were the tickets? Let's say if someone wanted to be there for the entire tournament, how much would it cost? Tempted to go at some point, just for experience...

Are you thinking Teams or Singles? I am in my mind right now sketching a plan to see the singles in 2019. The teams would be better value but not sure whether I want to go to Korea for this...

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
Congratulations to the Swedes too. First time on the podium since 2001, when they took the Bronze medal after losing to Belgium in the semi-final.

Apparently, other than the Swedes, we have to go back to 1979 to see a nation that is not China win the men's WTTTC. Namely, Hungary with Gergely, Jonyer and Klampar (not the butterfly blades, the players).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews

Yes indeed ML ZJK XX WH with LGL as coach were simply unbeatable. ZJK's out, XX still does not convince me as a dominator (who knows maybe he will break through but I cant really see it happenign) but franziska also didnt convince me as contender but he gave a good fight. ML even if his body does not respond as it used to is still the best player in the world and if his condition remains steady without any bad injuries we will ahve to wait 3-4 years at least. FZD LJK also do not convince me but they are still young , and the rest of the world talents are also young....so I dont know the future seems more promising compared to the past

Im not saying its gonna happen but the chances are way better now. Still in favor of china of course