says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
The Champion!

Japan 2.jpg

Japan 3.jpg

This user has no status.
a great final full of suspense

i expected HT to win more easily but he was tense in the first 2 games.
ZJK BH is as good as it was when he was the Grand Champion
but alas he cannot play 2 FH in a row. HT won all the FH to FH rallies.
Basically his footwork is late, or he is not even trying, either too slow or injured I don't know.
Where any top50 player would make a big step to get those balls from FH to BH or middle, ZJK can only make a small one and he's not in a good position. So often he tries the winner on this first FH, but if the ball comes back he's losing...

HT when he was more calm didn't have any problem. He had some pressure to win at home given the result of last week, got a bad start and had to fight with his nerves all match, while any mistake was punished by ZJK. But I think overall, and by large HT was the better player. ZJK had only his BH and his experience and cool for him. He nearly succeeded.

I'm afraid ZJK can't get back better than that unfortunately.

my 2c analysis

says Aging is a killer
.....I'm afraid ZJK can't get back better than that unfortunately.my 2c analysis

Of course he can. Boll and Federer have set the standard for older players coming from from injury.

On another point, I am old enough to remember when Waldner, Samsonov, even Bengtsson were the youngsters lighting up the TT scene. I can tell you that the excitement created then was way below that of Harimoto today.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I cant belive how great zjk was in this tournament , how well he played and how he handled the pressure . I'm sure no even his most optimist fans were thinking that he could reach the last game of the tournament . He'll get better if he dont make himself tired like this . He played 3 opens in a row and as I know he will be in korean open too

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 5 (Sun 10 June 2018):

Men's Singles

Semi-finals:

[1] Timo Boll 0:4 Zhang Jike (w.o. due to injury)
[4] Lee Sangsu 2:4 Tomokazu Harimoto [6] (5:11, 12:10, 4:11, 5:11, 11:5, 9:11)

Final:

Zhang Jike 3:4 Tomokazu Harimoto [6] (11:9, 11:8, 9:11, 4:11, 12:10, 7:11, 11:13)

Women's Singles

Semi-finals:

[6] Chen Xingtong 3:4 Mima Ito [3] (11:8, 11:9, 11:6, 9:11, 9:11, 7:11, 7:11)
[8] Liu Shiwen 2:4 Wang Manyu [2] (7:11, 11:7, 10:12, 11:9, 6:11, 6:11)

Final:

[3] Mima Ito 4:2 Wang Manyu [2] (11:7, 12:10, 8:11, 11:7, 6:11, 12:10)

Men's Doubles

Final:

[3] Jeoung Youngsik/Lee Sangsu 3:1 Liang Jingkun/Zhou Kai (11:6, 5:11, 11:9, 11:5)

Women's Doubles

Final:

[6] Liu Shiwen/Wang Manyu 0:3 Gu Yuting/Mu Zi (w.o. due to injury of Liu Shiwen)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/2818/2018/2018-ittf-world-tour-japan-open/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Not a ZJK fan but absolutely wanted him to win. Such a fighter he is..
Harimoto deserved it of course, it's just that seeing an athlete playing 3 tournaments back to back and progressing with such a pace was just so incredible. I just wanted him to finish this run with a victory, and he had the chance. Also I hope that his injury is not back....

And what get's me really excited is Mima Ito winning the women's event. I was so glad for her cause the Chinese dominance in the women's game is much stronger than that in the men's as I think.

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
TIMO JUST PRETENDING INJURY ...
No injury with Timo Ball. Actually, Timo (WR=3) is fearful of losing rating points. The possible defeat from ZJ (WR=164) would take off 600 points from Timo's current rating, so prudent guy he is :) :)

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Of course he can. Boll and Federer have set the standard for older players coming from from injury.

On another point, I am old enough to remember when Waldner, Samsonov, even Bengtsson were the youngsters lighting up the TT scene. I can tell you that the excitement created then was way below that of Harimoto today.

Well, I for one am still cooling down from the thrill of young Stellan’s 1970 amazing victory.

says Aging is a killer
Well, I for one am still cooling down from the thrill of young Stellan’s 1970 amazing victory.

TT happenings took a while to get to us in the Caribbean in dem days. By the time the news that Stellan was 17 and world champion, much of the excitement had gone. The more immediate priority was given to the fact that Gary Sobers was not performing as he used to.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Timo's message on withdrawal ... always the gentleman ...

What a pity.

Amazing how he keeps his countenance. I would either be very upset or totally sad. Hopefully he recovers well and speedy so we all could witness another encounter of these two legends.
Too bad.
:(