Best and fastest rubbers for a beginner

Rakza 7 ( normal not soft ) has the perfect hardness. Not too soft not too hard, a jack of all trades, master of none, perfekt to develop one’s skills with . The only thing may be it’s a little fast in the beginning…
If this is the case I usually recommend Mark V. Also a jack of all trades but a little less of everything. Great to start with if you change to a high speed blade, but it’s too slog to stay with where a Rakza 7 may be the the last rubber you’ll ever need. This will probably not happen because the EJ devil usually pays a visit at this time….

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
Rakza 7 ( normal not soft ) has the perfect hardness. Not too soft not too hard, a jack of all trades, master of none, perfekt to develop one’s skills with . The only thing may be it’s a little fast in the beginning…
If this is the case I usually recommend Mark V. Also a jack of all trades but a little less of everything. Great to start with if you change to a high speed blade, but it’s too slog to stay with where a Rakza 7 may be the the last rubber you’ll ever need. This will probably not happen because the EJ devil usually pays a visit at this time….

Cheers
L-zr
Mark v is £19 over there, and I heard it is a very good rubber. One of my local league team mates had itin both sides, and they could control the ball very well. I can also see you passion in Rakza 7!

Since I know it well I use it sometimes to explore the qualities of a new blade. Right now I am gravitating towards hybrid rubbers and Glayser 09C is s step in that direction. I have Rakza Z and some others in the pipe too.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: PaddyPolar
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Rozena is really cheap in Taiwan. If you want to check out the website it is called bolltabletennis.net . We will probably start looking at the softer rubbers first as a lot of people say that hard rubbers are not good for beginners.
Ok I checked out the website. The Butterfly prices are definitely say 15% cheaper than everywhere else. Non-butterfly products like G-1, Rakza 7, etc. are about tabletennis11 with their 30% bulk discount.

What stood out for me is Stiga Mendo and Stiga Mendo Energy for $600 Taiwanese dollars. That is a pretty good price for a classic rubber. I used both Mendo and Mendo Energy before. They are like Sriver and Mark V, except Stiga's verson of it. If you want softer rubber than Mendo Energy is softer than Mendo. First of all, I did not know Stiga makes Mendo and Mendo Energy still. Second, that is a very very cheap price for a classic rubber (for example, Butterfly Flextra for $600 Taiwanese dollars and Donic Liga for $550 Taiwanese dollars do not even entice me; I have used both rubbers before. They are really really for beginners). If you friend wants an in between rubber, going from chinese hard rubber to tensor rubber, Stiga Mendo or Stigan Mendo Energy for $600 Taiwanese dollars is a very very good choice.

If you start with hard rubbers, you should have no problem with hard rubbers. I play with hard rubber on my forehand and soft rubber on my backhand. Honestly if you are going to progress in table tennis you will figure out soft v.s. hard. If you want to try softer rubber, so be it. Your stroke and you physique will determine what rubber is a good fit. Also the blade is very important as well.

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

Cheers
L-zr
I think Rakza 7 soft is not a bad choice for the beginners.

If someone just asks me randomly about the best rubber to start and stay as an intermediate player, I would say Rakza 7 or Rakza 7 soft or C-1. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

I like Mark V too but the price is pretty stiff considering how long the rubber has been out. Rakza 7, I agree with you, is a better value and you are more likely to stick with it over the long run.

Reactions: Marc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
They went from a Friendship 729 super fx to energy xtra and only noticed the speed change.
I just noticed this. They played with Friendship 729 super fx? That is not hard at all. I have a couple sheets lying around. Friendship 729 super fx is quite soft. It is a very good beginner's rubber. I once boosted a sheet by mistake and it became way too soft to be played so I had to rip it off right away. Yeah they will have no problem with Rakza 7 soft, Rakza X soft, C-1, etc.

I think Rakza 7 soft is not a bad choice for the beginners.

If someone just asks me randomly about the best rubber to start and stay as an intermediate player, I would say Rakza 7 or Rakza 7 soft or C-1. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

I like Mark V too but the price is pretty stiff considering how long the rubber has been out. Rakza 7, I agree with you, is a better value and you are more likely to stick with it over the long run.

Considering how long Mark V lasts I don’t consider it to be expensive. However You will probably rip it it off to soon to try something else. I actually use use Mark V HPS to tame superfast blades. It is a little faster and significantly lighter than regular Mark V.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Wakkibatty
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Considering how long Mark V lasts I don’t consider it to be expensive. However You will probably rip it it off to soon to try something else. I actually use use Mark V HPS to tame superfast blades. It is a little faster and significantly lighter than regular Mark V.

Cheers
L-zr
Come on you guys! This is no longer the era of 38mm puny balls. Mark V should rightly be accorded its rightful place: Into the anals ( pun intended ) of history.

Young noobs, go play with your Rakza 7 or something and leave the Mark V to your grandpa et al.

Mark V users 👇🏼
IMG_6100.png

Last edited:
Come on you guys! This is no longer the era of 38mm puny balls. Mark V should rightly be accorded its rightful place: Into the anals ( pun intended ) of history.

Young noobs, go play with your Rakza 7 or something and leave the Mark V to your grandpa et al.

Mark V users 👇🏼
View attachment 25665

Many times gramps knows best…

Cheers
L-zr

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The equipment doesn't have control. The player does.

True. You correctly say this by itself and it is true.

My comments were in the context of the same player P operating rubber X on blade A vs operating Aurus on same blade A with the view of articulating how easy or difficult it is to do the common shots Player P does.

My definition of control is how easy or difficult it is to do something.

The same player operating Aurus on the same blade doing the same shots will likely find it easier to do those shots vs using rubber X on the same blade A.

This is ultimately discovered during dynamic testing, which is a method Dan correctly does.

NONE of us on the forums can afford to buy and try every gear know to mankind that is manufactured and sold.

We sometimes have to rely on others' opinions from their testing... that can be accurate or misleading, depending on who did what and what who is looking for what.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
True. You correctly say this by itself and it is true.

My comments were in the context of the same player P operating rubber X on blade A vs operating Aurus on same blade A with the view of articulating how easy or difficult it is to do the common shots Player P does.

My definition of control is how easy or difficult it is to do something.

The same player operating Aurus on the same blade doing the same shots will likely find it easier to do those shots vs using rubber X on the same blade A.

This is ultimately discovered during dynamic testing, which is a method Dan correctly does.

NONE of us on the forums can afford to buy and try every gear know to mankind that is manufactured and sold.

We sometimes have to rely on others' opinions from their testing... that can be accurate or misleading, depending on who did what and what who is looking for what.
Agree.

Also we all play a bit differently. I am now testing Big Dipper and Sanwei Target National (and finally transferred both to carbon blades now so I can test it out more later this week). I do like both rubbers. They are just not as tacky as H3 neo. People rave about them being good hybrid rubber. And if that's what they are looking for (hybrid rubber), then their price to performance ratio is very high compared to say Rakza Z, Stiga DragonGrip, Joola Tango, etc.

But to me, I have an inkling I will be going back to H3 neo still. The tackiness and the bounciness of H3 neo to me is very unique.

So a lot of the testing also depends what the tester's background is. What does he use for his regular equipment? What types of shots does the tester use?

I believe on Dan's or TT11's YouTube vidoe, people do leave comment about asking what the testers' regular blade and rubber combinations are, and I think that's a fair question to ask.

What I like about TT11 is that on its video, one of the co-owners seems to be a chopper so it is interesting to hear what he has to say about rubber from his perspective. they have at least 4 people testing each time.

And at the end of the day, I think good enough is good enough. I am testing various Gambler carbon blades right now. They are fast but not THAT fast (i.e. not Viscaria and Acoustic carbon fast) but that's what I love about them, after upgrading from 5-ply all wood and 7-ply all wood.. So I am able to switch from blade to blade each practice session to figure out what I like the most without much of a glitch. As a result, I have various ESN rubbers stuck on the backhand side and so far going from Rakza 7 soft to T05 fx to EL-S to MX-S has not been a huge adjustment.

So I think sometimes people do make too big of a fuss about "this is the perfect rubber/blade for me." I am not so sure about that statement anymore after EJing for a year or so. I think there is a "general group of blade and rubber" that is best for your style and your current playing level but that's pretty much it. No need to test every blade and every rubber under the sun.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Just some chit-chat posting.
Once I had some some tete-a-tete with my coach and our conversation came to him playing before the era of Tenergy. He was using Sriver and Speed Glue. He continued, " Without speed-glue, Sriver is unplayable " Those are his words, not mine. I would venture to say, it would be the same with Mark V, since they are coming from the same era. And do not forget, those times, it was 38mm era. Imagine these days with a 40mm plus ball, a non-speed glued Mark V is not going to do anything.

I could see why when Tenergy came out, he switched to it and never looked back. BTW, these days, he has switched to Dignics 05.

• Haha
Reactions: blahness and Lazer
This user has no status.
Just some chit-chat posting.
Once I had some some tete-a-tete with my coach and our conversation came to him playing before the era of Tenergy. He was using Sriver and Speed Glue. He continued, " Without speed-glue, Sriver is unplayable " Those are his words, not mine. I would venture to say, it would be the same with Mark V, since they are coming from the same era. And do not forget, those times, it was 38mm era. Imagine these days with a 40mm plus ball, a non-speed glued Mark V is not going to do anything.

I could see why when Tenergy came out, he switched to it and never looked back. BTW, these days, he has switched to Dignics 05.
It sounds like your coach also loves the bang bang bang game 😂

This user has no status.

Mark V users 👇🏼
View attachment 25665

As someone who used unboosted Mark V and Sriver L in 40mm era I must say that this post is the most wrong opinion I read on this forum so far. These rubbers are amazingly slow, no catapult at all. Would you play a tournament with those? Probably you shouldn't. Would you use them to learn proper stroke mechanic? Yes! I hate modern rubbers. Everytime you touch the ball, it flies all over the place as if it was radio commanded. If a beginner has issues understanding their mistakes I would definitely tell them grandpa was 100% right.

As someone who used unboosted Mark V and Sriver L in 40mm era I must say that this post is the most wrong opinion I read on this forum so far. These rubbers are amazingly slow, no catapult at all. Would you play a tournament with those? Probably you shouldn't. Would you use them to learn proper stroke mechanic? Yes! I hate modern rubbers. Everytime you touch the ball, it flies all over the place as if it was radio commanded. If a beginner has issues understanding their mistakes I would definitely tell them grandpa was 100% right.

I used both rubbers in my active days as a youth player in the 38mm era. No problem then and no problem now.
Mark V still has one of the best top sheets on the market… There are grippier ones but NONE of them lasts as long.

The most stupid opinion is that something new must be better than something old…

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I used both rubbers in my active days as a youth player in the 38mm era. No problem then and no problem now.
Mark V still has one of the best top sheets on the market… There are grippier ones but NONE of them lasts as long.

The most stupid opinion is that something new i must be better than something old…

Cheers
L-zr
Difference between Mark V/Sriver and today's equipment is that back in the days they didn't have EJs :D