Best and fastest rubbers for a beginner

Difference between Mark V/Sriver and today's equipment is that back in the days they didn't have EJs :D

🤣Hell no, there wasn’t much to choose from. Basically only Yasaka and Butterfly. There was other brands but almost no shop stocked them. And of course no internet…
I used to play with “Super Sriver” back then, don’t remember what the difference was compared to normal Sriver.

Today I would recommend Mark V before Sriver to a beginner…

Cheers
L-zr

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
As someone who used unboosted Mark V and Sriver L in 40mm era I must say that this post is the most wrong opinion I read on this forum so far. These rubbers are amazingly slow, no catapult at all. Would you play a tournament with those? Probably you shouldn't. Would you use them to learn proper stroke mechanic? Yes! I hate modern rubbers. Everytime you touch the ball, it flies all over the place as if it was radio commanded. If a beginner has issues understanding their mistakes I would definitely tell them grandpa was 100% right.
if I read your post correctly, are you saying is ok to train using Mark V but when it comes to competition time you switch to modern tensor rubber? Is my understanding correct?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
🤣Hell no, there wasn’t much to choose from. Basically only Yasaka and Butterfly. There was other brands but almost no shop stocked them. And of course no internet…
I used to play with “Super Sriver” back then, don’t remember what the difference was compared to normal Sriver.

Today I would recommend Mark V before Sriver to a beginner…

Cheers
L-zr
Back then there was EJ'ing. Off the top of my head, Yasaka Mark V, Yasaka Mark V soft, Stiga Mendo, Stiga Mendo energy, Butterfly Sriver, Sriver-EL, Tackiness Drive, Bryce, Globe 999, Juic 999, Juic Drivasmash, Friendship 729, Andro, Stiga Innova, Stiga Innova Ultra Light, Tibhar Rapid, Tibhar Rapid soft, Nittaku Hammond, Nittaku Moristo, Joola Mambo, etc, etc

• Love
Reactions: Choosikick
Back then there was EJ'ing. Off the top of my head, Yasaka Mark V, Yasaka Mark V soft, Stiga Mendo, Stiga Mendo energy, Butterfly Sriver, Sriver-EL, Tackiness Drive, Bryce, Globe 999, Juic 999, Juic Drivasmash, Friendship 729, Andro, Stiga Innova, Stiga Innova Ultra Light, Tibhar Rapid, Tibhar Rapid soft, Nittaku Hammond, Nittaku Moristo, Joola Mambo, etc, etc

I’m talking about ‘74 - ‘75. I don’t rememember Stiga having its own rubber back then, they used Yasaka. Never heard of Tibhar or Joola back then either.
I know there was some Chinese rubber but not what brands. Nittaku existed but I don’t recall any rubbers, only cases and balls. Never heard of any Ej’ing either.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
By the way, at the same time there was already Hurricane 2, which I then played on fresh rubber glue paired with Tibhar Rapid at Primorac Of minus.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I’m talking about ‘74 - ‘75. I don’t rememember Stiga having its own rubber back then, they used Yasaka. Never heard of Tibhar or Joola back then either.
I know there was some Chinese rubber but not what brands. Nittaku existed but I don’t recall any rubbers, only cases and balls. Never heard of any Ej’ing either.

Cheers
L-zr
Probably it's all the same different periods

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
As someone who used unboosted Mark V and Sriver L in 40mm era I must say that this post is the most wrong opinion I read on this forum so far. These rubbers are amazingly slow, no catapult at all. Would you play a tournament with those? Probably you shouldn't. Would you use them to learn proper stroke mechanic? Yes! I hate modern rubbers. Everytime you touch the ball, it flies all over the place as if it was radio commanded. If a beginner has issues understanding their mistakes I would definitely tell them grandpa was 100% right.

I would agree in General about Gozo's coach's observations about sriver... and disagree with you a good chunk... but it is not absolute... as there is no single correct answer in TT. You are actually correct.

When I went to Korea, as BTY crazed as the Koreans were in 2009... I saw ZERO players using Sriver... ZERO. And this was only a couple years after Speed Glue use was officially outlawed.

I saw hundreds and THOUSANDS of bats... never saw a sheet of Mark V either... and our club coach recommended and issued Yasaka rubber (Extend HS) like it was a send down from God himself...

Then late 2009 I was in a tourney and checked out this 2300-2400 player's bat... had SRIVER unglued on FH.... I wondered why he was at his level with such a deadish non-offensive rubber... well... he could CONTROL and PLACE every damn ball I gave him with precision... so he won with touch and placement with consistency... even vs the macho man Div 1 city + types.

That alone tells me it is NOT unplayable... just too damn difficult to play macho man offensive TT with it... but not every damn shot has to have Village People singing "I wanna be a Macho Macho Man".

This user has no status.
Getting back to the OP, I always trot out the old chestnut that beginners should start with a rubber that *anybody* can control, then later on progress to the fastest rubbers *that person personally* can control, at whatever stage of the game they are at.

I also personally believe that the popular and fastest tensor / catapult / ESN style rubbers should ideally stay off your blade for the first three years at least, otherwise you risk ruining your technique before you've fully established it...but again, that's just my opinion personally.

If you want a good, consistent, non-tensor, all round grippy rubber, with acceptable spin and speed, that is cheaper than a Joola Energy Xtra but still pretty similar to an JEE, then the Focus 3 Snipe or regular focus 3 is your best bet IMO. The other options here all come close, but usually fall down on one or two measures:

- Raksa 7 and AK-47 yellow are both great rubbers, but noth are also a big step up in speed compared to the F3, and don't have quite the same control. I find all the Rakzas are slightly more expensive too.

Mark V, Sriver, and other similar antiques are still great rubbers, but I would say the sriver is a tad slower than the F3, the Mark V MAX / Mark V HVS is a touch faster, and ALL of them are more expensive to buy, without delivering much to justify that extra cost.

Xiom Europe is a great entry level tensor, but is slightly slower than the AK-47s, and slightly faster than the Mark V / Sriver / Grandpa Simpson's old faithful.

I still keep coming back to the F3S for beginners (even though it is also starting to get long in the tooth), because it's incoming spin insensitive -- it's a rubber which any beginner can control pretty well, and a good player can still be damaging with at club level.

And while almost all the other rubbers mentioned here can make the same kind of claims, in my experience none of them are consistently available at F3 prices all year round, and in any/every country you care to mention. The Focus 3 and Focus 3 Snipe really are just a no-brainer recommendation for any no-skill (or low skill) player.

If I did have to add one more option to the mix (and I do 😁) then it would be the Tuttle Beijing IV max - it's a chronically underrated rubber frankly given it's enormous similarity to F3S / Mark V / sriver / Rakza 7 in the control stakes, but it is also a tiny bit faster than an F3S (around Xiom Europe speed frankly) and is still spinny enough to be dangerous. (Closest direct comparison in playing feel would be a xiom Vega intro, or a Joola Energy Xtra, but it still comes at a F3S price point).

Biggest knock against the Beijing IV however is its longevity - it's effective working life is basically just okay -- it doesn't last nearly as long as an F3S does, which if you take care of it, is a very long lasting rubber indeed -- almost at Mark V levels of longevity frankly IME. Plus there's one final plus worth mentioning, which is I find the F3 series stand up very well to regluing, though given their chicken-feed pricing, replacing a torn one is not really a big issue.

Hope this all helps. Good luck with it 🙂

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Cheers
L-zr
How's G09C on your FH on an ALL+ blade?

How's G09C on your FH on an ALL+ blade?

Pretty good, could have been a little faster but it gives the incentive to hit harder. Lots of spin though. I will probably go back to Tenergy 05 eventually. Have to work a little more with G09C.

The regular Glazer is lethal on BH. Also requires a hard hit but as long as I close the angle and hit hard it’s often an immediate kill shot.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
if I read your post correctly, are you saying is ok to train using Mark V but when it comes to competition time you switch to modern tensor rubber? Is my understanding correct?
No, I meant to say that you're probably not fast enough for today's standards and that isn't ideal in a tournament. However if you're a beginner, training basics most of the time and not participating any competition you may want a "tool" that has the easiest mechanic possible so that you can develop a better understanding of basics. At that point you can gradually shift towards speed. But if you cannot tolerate tensor from day-1 there is no shame in using Mark V just because it's old.

Reactions: Lazer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
No, I meant to say that you're probably not fast enough for today's standards and that isn't ideal in a tournament. However if you're a beginner, training basics most of the time and not participating any competition you may want a "tool" that has the easiest mechanic possible so that you can develop a better understanding of basics. At that point you can gradually shift towards speed. But if you cannot tolerate tensor from day-1 there is no shame in using Mark V just because it's old.
What advantage would you have using Mark V versus a cheap training rubber that's under $10 like Loki Rxton 1 or 3?

If it's just low speed and linearity that makes Mark V usable for training, those can be had for a fraction of the price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Sure, not saying you must go Mark V. Just saying it's an option that shouldn't be disliked just because grandpa used to use it. If Loki is as good and durable as Mark V, then whatever is fine. But really no shame in using a 60 yo piece of rubber technology.
I am used to H3 neo so Mark V is probably not that slow for me. If people play tournaments with H3, they can play tournament with Mark V.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Pretty good, could have been a little faster but it gives the incentive to hit harder. Lots of spin though. I will probably go back to Tenergy 05 eventually. Have to work a little more with G09C.

The regular Glazer is lethal on BH. Also requires a hard hit but as long as I close the angle and hit hard it’s often an immediate kill shot.

Cheers
L-zr
how does the g09c hold up in the backcourt game? when I tried it I felt that it was lacking in power...