Can you regain what you once had?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I started playing again about a year ago, just for something to do!

I haven't played for 10 years and haven't done much sport wise in that time. Which has meant*I've had to change my game a fair bit since re starting, due to not being fit or fast enough to cover the table with just my forehand anymore.*

This season I decided to put a little more into it so have worked on getting fitter and I've also practiced once a week.*

My question is, at almost 40 is it possible to regain the speed (or at least some of it) around the table? I don't struggle at all fitness wise now but I do feel very slow & it's very frustrating when I try and move to a shot that previously I wouldn't have had trouble with, but just fail miserably!

Am I asking to much of myself?

I'm not over weight, and was top 50 standard back in the day!!

Thanks all

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do shadow footwork drills on days when you are not at the table. 15-20 minutes of things like Falkenberg or 1-2-3-2-1 with the forehand. Keep practicing them. They will get you moving faster and get your legs stronger and build your endurance. Of course, if you can do more that is great, but 15-20 minutes of things like that will be a lot of work. And you will find your speed coming back to some extent. How much work you do on getting fit and how much time you spend away from the table getting in good shape will determine how much of your old speed you can get back. 40 is not too old.

I am 46. I played as a kid but never really was good and never had real training. I started again after about 20 years of not playing and i am way better than I ever was. I guess it is a different scenario but, you can do it.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I started playing again about a year ago, just for something to do!

I haven't played for 10 years and haven't done much sport wise in that time. Which has meant*I've had to change my game a fair bit since re starting, due to not being fit or fast enough to cover the table with just my forehand anymore.*

This season I decided to put a little more into it so have worked on getting fitter and I've also practiced once a week.*

My question is, at almost 40 is it possible to regain the speed (or at least some of it) around the table? I don't struggle at all fitness wise now but I do feel very slow & it's very frustrating when I try and move to a shot that previously I wouldn't have had trouble with, but just fail miserably!

Am I asking to much of myself?

I'm not over weight, and was top 50 standard back in the day!!

Thanks all

Firstly, a huge welcome to the site!

Its great to see you have come back into the sport after such a long period of time :)

I bet there must be so much difference to the game since when you use to play, i.e. ball size... score change... speed glue hehe

Anyways, of course you can regain a lot of what you use to have, it will just take a lot of practice. My dad is 49 and I have been training him. He has always been sceptical in keeping fast and strong. He does a lot of skipping and runs 3 times a week. He practices 3 times a week on the table to. Im not saying he is the best player around, but fitness wise for his age and movement is very good. So there is no reason why you cannot do this at the age of 40 under the correct training implications.

If you increase your training slowly and effectively you will improve. Don't jump in to early as you could get an injury. Your body needs to gradually build back its strength and fitness. I cannot say you will be as good as you were 10 years ago but for sure you will get back into it fast.

An example of this in England is Martin Gunn... he quit around 10 years ago and has come back into the sport within the last year or two and has been playing some good table tennis.

Always here to help, thanks for joining :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I also returned to the sport after more than 20 years, the rubbers are much faster nowadays, and modern players take the ball earlier with shorter strokes. Playing bigger away from the table was the thing when I was a nipper! That aside your reading of the game won't be lost, i'd advise to work on some footwork. If you are missing the wide balls, or quick direction changes, maybe work on drills with your practice partner eg. BH to BH switching down the line. Multi ball is a modern training method that helps with speed - buy a box of balls and get your partner to feed fast balls through changing angles - great fun and a test of your fitness. Go for it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Thanks for the replies!

The ball was already 40mm and 11up when I packed in, but I used to lather the glue on lol.*
I think some hard work in the footwork department is needed. Hopefully your all right and there's no reason I can't get much quicker (I need to)

Your right though I can still read the game pretty well, I'm just struggling with speed and consistency, don't get me wrong though I can still play, it's just hard not to think of yourself as you were before!!*