Contact point on ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
So I'm using H3 on my FH. What should the contact point be on the ball when hitting forehand loop drive? If I'm hitting to the left should the contact point be at 4 oclock, 3 or 2? I'm told with sticky rubber I should be hitting at 2:00 to maximize forward momentum. Since it's tacky it won't be affected by incoming spin as much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Wouldn't that depend on the incoming spin? Counter loop you hit more the top of the ball and loop against backspin you hit more the back of the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It also depends on the degree of brushing.
Where you hit the ball depends on the angle of the paddle. However, just as important is the direction the paddle is moving when contact is made. For instance when returning chopped balls I often have my paddle vertical so the ball is hit at the 3 O'clock point but then my paddle motion is mostly up to counter the back spin and a little forward so the ball goes over the net.

This user has no status.
It should always be 3 o clock. This is to maximise the contact probability between the racket and the ball (ie not mishit the ball). You can do up to 2 o clock against sidespin but really you shouldn't overdo it because it increases your chance of missing.

This user has no status.
Depends your level. If kinda above ammateur, you should just try and centre it to keep consistency.

But as you get more advanced, you can hit it in various areas for different outcomes. Say you could hit at the bottom of the racket on a loop to bluff spin, or hit it at the side side furthest away to get more power.

However thats complecated stuff and i just try and centre it do develop my consistency, i recommend you do the same but I do not know your level, so its your choice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
It should always be 3 o clock. This is to maximise the contact probability between the racket and the ball (ie not mishit the ball). You can do up to 2 o clock against sidespin but really you shouldn't overdo it because it increases your chance of missing.
It shouldn't always. Hopefully one develops the skill to brush up and hit the ball at 2 oclock.. That is part of the game and getting better. Again, the Chinese use the term "la qiu" or "la cho" as we would pronounce it. It means "pull ball" not hit ball. The idea is that tangential friction pulls or drags the ball over the net.

Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I heard during the ralley you get more kick if you hit at 2:00 versus other locations. When I try to hit at 4 people have told me they don't get as much spin from my shots.
Not necessarily. It depends on the brushing action of the blade. The more the brushing the more spin but less speed.

Hitting the ball at 1 o'clock is good for maximum spin sacrificing speed. The swing much be precise because the effective paddle are is reduced. Also, if the opponent is just as good the incoming ball will be dropping more than usually due to the Magnus effect.

My first coach, 10+ years ago, and I would have looping and counter looping matches. The goal was to place so much spin on the ball that the Magnus effect would cause the ball to drop low below his paddle.