Could EU teams cooperate closer?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
I could illustrate many evidences and thus completely throw this thread out of track.

Just do a little Google search, don't use Baidu as it will sensor the content. Don't search while you are in China as Google is not available.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-China-so-successful-at-the-Olympics

Hmm ... the pictures speak for themselves.

Zhang Yining said once she wouldn't want her daughter to become an athlete, because of the hard training. I guess she knew what she was talking about.

@Ironic ... we started playing recreational tt in our club, but because of some scam going on, we had to finally involve in the club's politics ... Now I want to discuss tt just for fun, and we have to run into such issues ... earth is not heaven as they say ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
jawlen,

So long as the Chinese are permitted to take children with the tacit consent of the International Table Tennis Federation in order to produce potential professional members of the Chinese National Team, it is highly unlikely to make any difference with respect to domination of the sport even if every country in Europe were to coalesce into a Pan-European Table Tennis Federation.

There is no way under European law that Europe can train their table tennis players, or athletes in any sport for that matter, in the manner that the Chinese do and have done for decades. This metaphorical train ran off the tracks long ago, but I do not think that it serves no purpose whatsoever not to point out that there are some ways to run a railroad that really should not be allowed, again metaphorically speaking.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
jawlen,

So long as the Chinese are permitted to take children with the tacit consent of the International Table Tennis Federation in order to produce potential professional members of the Chinese National Team, it is highly unlikely to make any difference with respect to domination of the sport even if every country in Europe were to coalesce into a Pan-European Table Tennis Federation [...]

Realistically speaking, forgive me Brendt, maybe I'm naive, but ITTF is just a little organization compared to big politics and business. What do you want them to do? There are bigger organizations and Tropical's pictures are about gymnastics, tracks ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
There are some sports that EU, America, and the rest of the free world are still dominating; basketball, tennis, baseball, soccer, boxing, etc. and the incentive is very clear. Money/fame! Yes .. more money are needed if we can't do it the way China does. Money and fame will give potential players the incentive to work harder without being forced.

So the question is : How can EU/America/Japan/free world make TT an attractive/spectator sport? I think many already tried to answer and failed miserably. Is TT a boring spectator sport? See the analysis below:

https://revspin.net/blog/why-table-tennis-is-a-horrible-spectator-sport/

It is funny when talked about sex appeal as a reason :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Without making this into a political debate but to use "free world" and "America" in the same sentence is ironic :)

There are some sports that EU, America, and the rest of the free world are still dominating; basketball, tennis, baseball, soccer, boxing, etc. and the incentive is very clear. Money/fame! Yes .. more money are needed if we can't do it the way China does. Money and fame will give potential players the incentive to work harder without being forced.

So the question is : How can EU/America/Japan/free world make TT an attractive/spectator sport? I think many already tried to answer and failed miserably. Is TT a boring spectator sport? See the analysis below:

https://revspin.net/blog/why-table-tennis-is-a-horrible-spectator-sport/

It is funny when talked about sex appeal as a reason :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
I want to mention what has not been mentioned in this thread, though many of you may know this fact.

China has a very comprehensive "rival-imitating" system. Just about 2 months before the big events every year(WTTC, WTTTC, Olympics), the players of the whole CNT should participate in the close training. There are only several players qualified to the events, so why should all players do the training? That is because each player that is not qualified to the event should imitate the style of a major rival.

This picture released before WTTC last year shows which non-CNT player was imitated by some CNT players.
u=2906095671,534858348&fm=170&s=B591693353EEDD4D0E75D1DA0100C0B1&w=529&h=466&img.jpg
Hirano Miu won the Asian Championship by beating 3 CNT players consecutively last year, so she was imitated by even 4 players! Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong were included.

Ito Mima was imitated by Zhang Rui because of short pimples.

Ishikawa Kasumi and Hayata Hina were imitated by left-handed players like Gu Yuting and Chen Ke.

Kim Song I, Suh Hyowon, Kim Kyung-ah, Li Jie and Liqian the chopers were imitated by CNT choppers like Wu Yang and Hu Limei.

And so on.

Many of you may think it bad, unfair to the non-top CNT players, or even disgusting. But it really worked. After Hirano Miu won the Asian Championship last year, she was studied thoroughly. How long does it take for her to beat just one CNT player?

I don't think EU or some rest of the world could create such a system. It is a matter of culture difference. CNT players are more "nationalism". Not a politics term, but it means non-top CNT players are willing to serve the top players, serve the nation, by imitating rival's style rather than have his or her own style. In contrast, non-CNT plyers are more "personalism" (maybe this word is inappropriate, whatever)and play for themselves.

Just ask you a simple question: now your task is to give up your own style, imitate Ma Long's style and train with Timo Boll, in order for TIMO to have more chance to win over Ma Long! Will you do this work?

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I think people are massively overcomplicating what was a relatively simple questions.

If the TOP 12 European Players had weeks of practice together before a big event, would it make them sharper?

YES - Of course it would!! Anyone who thinks differently is mad.

Take England for example - We have some guys who are on the brink of challenging some top players (Drinkhall, Walker, Pitchford) - If they had 2 weeks of practicing against the top Euro guys, they would clearly get stronger!

Now..... Would they be able to match China? Well, that is a different question.

The simple fact is, China has the worlds biggest population, and we are discussing other much smaller countries challenging them in their National sport! Why the hell shouldn't China be the best?

It makes perfect sense that they are as dominant as they are, and the fact that other nations can even compete in some matches is a bit of a miracle.

At the end of the day, the money/talent pool/facilities just aren't there for the Europeans on the whole.

Doesn't stop us from trying though!

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I think people are massively overcomplicating what was a relatively simple questions.

If the TOP 12 European Players had weeks of practice together before a big event, would it make them sharper?

YES - Of course it would!! Anyone who thinks differently is mad.

Take England for example - We have some guys who are on the brink of challenging some top players (Drinkhall, Walker, Pitchford) - If they had 2 weeks of practicing against the top Euro guys, they would clearly get stronger!

Now..... Would they be able to match China? Well, that is a different question.

The simple fact is, China has the worlds biggest population, and we are discussing other much smaller countries challenging them in their National sport! Why the hell shouldn't China be the best?

It makes perfect sense that they are as dominant as they are, and the fact that other nations can even compete in some matches is a bit of a miracle.

At the end of the day, the money/talent pool/facilities just aren't there for the Europeans on the whole.

Doesn't stop us from trying though!

2 weeks? Doubtful. A year or longer - may be.

NDH

says Spin to win!
2 weeks? Doubtful. A year or longer - may be.

I'm not saying 2 weeks will significantly improve players - But I do believe it will make them sharper than practicing with people significantly below their level.

Even 2 weeks of solid training would be better than nothing.

I'm not saying it'll happen either.... I was just answering the original question (before it was derailed).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
I'm not saying 2 weeks will significantly improve players - But I do believe it will make them sharper than practicing with people significantly below their level.

Even 2 weeks of solid training would be better than nothing.

I'm not saying it'll happen either.... I was just answering the original question (before it was derailed).

Absolutely, 2 week of solid training is better than nothing. But by itself it pales in comparison to continuous year on year solid training regime of the CNT ...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Ha ha .. no no it's just tt, and every wise advise is more than welcome. Showing our weakness is not the same as finding a cure. Just for the sake of an interesting topic, which went sideways for a moment.

Besides, I guess we are not talking a top secret staff here ... ; )
Well, just kidding. But before I go into that, I will have a final stab at the allegations.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I expected more from the both of you, tropical and Berndt.

You call that evidence? An outdated generic article and a bunch of pictures without any narrative? You kidding me?

Have you even seen the real deal? I mean not the typical reporting by "crooked mainstream media." Let me show you. Get ready for some terrifying child abuse and manipulation.

A Rainbow of Promises, 3rd episode, Gymnastic Boys, part of a series.

The program kicks off rather light-hearted. There is a school in a small village where the kids have taken up gymnastics for generations. They have a team of National Chapmions. They wake up between 6 and 6:30 every morning. Get cleaned up. Take breakfast. Around 8:30, first thing they do is running practice, followed by technical training to 11, then from 2 to 6 in the afternoon. After 6, homework time, dinner time and shower time. That's the schedule for summer. They're strictly monitored. No playing outside allowed, to keep them from getting spoiled.

@3:35, this is where it gets interesting.

"When it comes to talent recruitment...because our school is small-scaled with very few students, there're very few people who would join voluntarily, so as a coach you have to go find students. Get them over to train in gymnastics. So how do you find them? You go tell them to come play at the gym. We'd start with getting the kids to have fun, to get them interested, then you tell them they could become a member of the gymnastic team."

Here comes the gruesome part. For them to become National Champions, the honor comes at a price - sweats and tears.

!!High energy incoming!!
@4:34, ah! Child abuse and manipulation!! Unforgivable!

@7:02, the coach explains the reasons behind the "child abuse." The 1st one is for agility and the 2nd one is to correct body stance and for arm strength. Those training are tiring. The coaches have been there before.

After the commercial break, we get to learn more about the kids. The team has 10 members, each of them with an intriguing story.

The 1st kid is the captain, 12 years old. He plays high bar and rings, and wants to become a coach. He is the role model of the team and the coaches have great expectations for him. The thing? He has no mom and dad, only raised by his grandma and granddad.

More "child abuse" @9:08.

His granddad told the reporter of this dialog between him and his grandson:
Grandson: Because dad has passed away, I have to be a good kid. I have to work toward my goal. I could reach my goal.

Reporter: So what is his goal?

Granddad: Gymnastics. Gymnastics is good but you still have to work on your eduction. Balance the two.

The 2nd kid is 10, a 3rd grader. He likes high bar, vault, rings and parallel bars, and wants to become a coach. He is smart but has a short temper. Her mom couldn't come to his competition once and out of grudge decided to come in 2nd in all events he competed.

The 3rd kid is 8, a 2nd grader, 2nd youngest on the team. He likes high bar, rings, vault and floor exercise. He has strong self-esteem, not wanting to lose to anyone.

The 4th kid is 10, 4th grade. Floor exercise and rings. He is the hopeful of the coaches due to to his natural talent. He comes from a poor family, with alcoholic parents, who burnt down their own house. He got sent here by his uncle because he has the right body type for gymastics. He is also a little hyperactive. He got 2 gold medals for the team shortly after his training.

@14:35, the coaches talk about their short-term goals for the kids, from Youth Olympics to Asian Junior Championships, what they need to work on before they move up to junior high.

After another commercial break, we get to their night session. They watch international competitions while having dinner, read books and write a daily report. Near the end of the program, we get to see them have some fun. In the closing remarks, the coaches tell their wishes - to become a national team member, to play at the Asian Games and Youth Olymipcs, and to bring glory for the "country."

Be sure to check out the comments. Both English and Chinese comments are not very approving of the "child abuse."

In case it's still not obvious, this is not China. This is Taiban, a rural area in the southern-most part of Taiwan. They belong to a tribe named Paiwan.

Paiwan_in_Taiwan.png

As of 2018, Taiwan is a flawed democracy, same as the US. Wha? They let them torture the kids? I thought I read a comment "we can't do it because we're not communist"?

Here is another video that goes into more detail about them.

Behind Gold Medals

@4:10, we get to witness some more "child abuse." Nope, the coach explains the reason they tell the kids off is to protect them since the kids are playful, and that could lead to dangerous thoughts, especially when they are on the apparatus, which could lead to serious injuries if they fall off. Don't miss the part starting @5:15. In that part, we get to know the younger coach was trained by the elder coach. They are like father and son.

@8:10, the coach reveals that the majority of the recruits come from problematic families, ranging from domestic violence to low-income to single parent.

At this point, I think you've seen enough "child abuse." The same principle applies to those from China, many of the Olympic athletes come from poor families and farmer families in rural areas. This is one aspect that you rarely see touched on.

China is changing at breakneck speed. Values on the Olympics is one.

http://time.com/4442329/china-diving-rio-2016-olympics/
The State General Administration of Sport once recruited tens of thousands of children for the sporting cause, no matter what sacrifices were required. At a time of famine and poverty, rural parents saw government-run sports academies, with their well-stocked canteens, as a refuge. But China’s basic needs were met more than a generation ago. And because of the one-child family-planning policy, the nation teems with coddled only children. “In the past, families had more than one child so if the state could raise one kid, parents would be very happy,” says Yao Junying, a gymnastics coach at Huangshi sports school. “But now, most families have just one child so they are reluctant to give their kid over to us completely.”

Nowadays, recruits are harder to come by for diving, weightlifting, shooting, traditionally strong sports for China, and even table tennis can't escape that.

@1:57, the little girl is a penholder, a rarity especially in a time when less and less parents send their kids to sport school and her mom says she can try for a year and if she doesn't make it to pro, she can go back to school.

I think I've written enough on this.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
If they know anything about the early career of Ai Fukuhara.... Wait, is Japan a free country or not?
Oh, better not. Ai-chan's mom will get defensive. Wait, do they know Japan uses China's state-run program system as role model for their own?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Zeio .. it is a fact that China forced kids to play sports. Old article or not it is still applicable, especially it was published not so long ago.

@jawien, in 2005 Cheng Yinghua and Larry Hodges wrote an article "The secrets of Chinese Table Tennis" which I think still a good analysis that you may want to look at.

http://www.masatenisi.org/english/secrets.htm

[h=2][/h]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Dec 2017
The Shocking Lengths China Will Go To Win At The Olympics

Ian Ransom and Ryan McNeil, Reuters
Aug. 9, 2012, 11:47 PM 59,252
FACEBOOK
LINKEDIN
TWITTER
EMAIL
COPY LINK
dnu
Youtube
China's massive medal haul at the London Games has once again showcased the country's ability to produce champions through its rigid Soviet-style sports regime, but national pride has been tempered by concerns about the human costs of sporting glory.
Chinese bloggers expressed their disgust last week after a Shanghai newspaper reported that the parents of Olympic diver Wu Minxia had concealed her mother's long battle with breast cancer for fear of disturbing her training.

Wu, 26, who was also shielded from news of her grandparents' deaths, shrugged off the controversy to win both the synchronized and individual three-meter springboard events in London.

"It's not only Chinese athletes who are like this. Parents seldom come to our training base and we are just like a big family who all train together," Wu said after winning the individual title on Sunday.

"There may be distance from our families but the distance doesn't make us feel we are far apart. I chose to be a diver to pursue this goal."

While the fall of Communism in Europe in the 1980s and 1990s [stopped] the command-and-control systems that turned the Soviet Union and East Germany into sporting superpowers, China's "juguo tizhi"—literally 'whole nation system'—remains as entrenched as ever.

Like Wu, the greater majority of China's 396 Olympians have started their sports at tender ages, sacrificed their childhoods for the state and drawn their emotional support from team mates, coaches and officials, in lieu of family members and friends.

The relationship remains strong between the athletes and the state that nurtured them, and fairytale stories abound of Chinese children wrenched from poverty and enriched by success on the global stage.

But the Olympic medals have obscured the more unsavory aspects of the sports regime, which has been blamed for leaving less successful athletes uneducated and ill-equipped to thrive outside the competition venues.

Abuse accusations

It has also drawn criticism from Western coaches who have accused their Chinese counterparts of producing winners through systematic physical abuse.

"You wonder why the Chinese women are so successful? Most of the men are coaches. The women are literally beaten into submission," Johannah Doecke, diving coach at the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis in the United States, told Reuters.

"If you said no to anything, you would be chastised, slapped around. It's a brutal system."

Doecke trained one of China's elite divers in Chen Ni, who rose to a provincial grade before migrating to the U.S. at the age of 19.

Doecke describes Chen as someone who was terrified of making a mistake when she first came under her instruction.

"If she made a mistake, she would instantly kowtow and apologize," she said.

Doecke worked with other Chinese coaches who had left their home country and said they would jest that she would need to be forceful to get the best out of Chen.

"As I worked with Chen, I would hear from time to time, 'if you want a good performance out of her, you'll have to beat her'," she said.

China's dominance in sports like table tennis and badminton has seen Western athletes level similar accusations of mistreatment.

Britain's top women table tennis players said China's methods would not be allowed elsewhere.

"It wouldn't be legal in Britain to train as hard as the Chinese," said Joanna Parker, Britain's top female player, last week.

Her teammate Kelly Sibley told the Olympic news service: "It's how they (Chinese coaches) treat them (Chinese trainee players) as well.

"We were playing a couple of years ago in a centre in Shanghai. Someone was playing and the coach just went up and kicked him in the side."

Chinese officials have bristled at the criticism.

"You have to train hard. Why does the West think like this?" Shi Zhihao, the male head of China's women's table tennis team, said angrily in response.

"China is very free, if you want you can do it, and if you don't want to do it you don't have to."

Chen declined to comment on whether she had been subject to physical discipline by her Chinese coaches, but defended it as being misunderstood.

"The coaches are like athletes' parents," she said in comments emailed to Reuters.

"Most of the time, coaches care about their divers even more than their own children.

"Diving is a dangerous sport, things could change in a second ... thus, as parents they have to do anything that force their children to do things safely.

"Sometimes it ends up (that they) hit their divers, but I know that it will more hurt inside of coaches every time when they had to hit their divers."

Cash bonuses

The athletes who bring China Olympic glory stand to receive grateful thanks from the state, with cash bonuses from China's national sports ministry and from lower levels of government for bringing prestige to their home towns and provinces.

Less successful athletes have much less to fall back on and state media have reported a number of cases of retired national champions struggling with long-term injuries and poverty.

Chinese athletes in London have, nonetheless, been largely unreserved in their praise of their coaches and the grueling training systems that have taken the delegation to more than 35 gold medals in London.

However, Chinese swimmer Lu Ying, who won silver in the women's 100 meters butterfly in London, spoke out against the team's domestic training system as being all work and no play.

"In China we're used to study, study and train, train and then rest," Lu, who has done part of her training in Australia since 2008, said through an interpreter earlier this week.

"I think our way of thinking has many limits. In Australia I've been invited to barbecues with my teammates - that would never happen in China."

China's top badminton player Lin Dan, who defended his men's singles gold at London, also broke ranks with his team amid a match-throwing scandal last week that claimed two of his teammates among eight players disqualified from the tournament.

The four women's doubles pairs, including China's world champions Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli, were expelled for deliberately playing to lose in a bid to improve their position in the draw for the knockout rounds.

Lin blamed the world governing body for instituting a round-robin format for the Olympic tournament that was ripe for manipulation, but said the disqualified players' tactics had brought a "negative" impact on the sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Well, just kidding. But before I go into that, I will have a final stab at the allegations.

------------------------------------------------------------------
I expected more from the both of you, tropical and Berndt. [...]

A Rainbow of Promises, 3rd episode, Gymnastic Boys, part of a series.

The program kicks off rather light-hearted. There is a school in a small village where the kids have taken up gymnastics for generations. They have a team of National Chapmions. They wake up between 6 and 6:30 every morning. Get cleaned up. Take breakfast. Around 8:30, first thing they do is running practice, followed by technical training to 11, then from 2 to 6 in the afternoon. After 6, homework time, dinner time and shower time. That's the schedule for summer. They're strictly monitored. No playing outside allowed, to keep them from getting spoiled.

@3:35, this is where it gets interesting.

Here comes the gruesome part. For them to become National Champions, the honor comes at a price - sweats and tears.

!!High energy incoming!!
@4:34, ah! Child abuse and manipulation!! Unforgivable!

[...]

Sorry there was the German Open and there was no time to respond comprehensively.

Zeio, so I hope we'll have a chance to talk about it, in a discussion like manner (please note it, everybody involved!). The topic itself (regarding any country) is too important to be just left without a word. Although it is not a main topic here.

So in my opinion, referring to the 4:34 of the first movie, the question is how hard the coach can "press". In the movie it is about helping a kid do to a twine, and I have to assert myself I know nothing about gymnastics and its training methods. I'm also talking only about this, not about how it is managed by the governments.

Sorry to use Liu's speech again. He is praised very much and of course he is the father of the modern strong CNT, but that famous talk to the team has put me into some perplexity. I used the translation provided by "asiandrum" on his channel. It was about assessing the performance of the team, not in general but individual players, also addressing them in a negative way ...
I try look at it using a different mentality filter and how close the team probably is ... but I imagine this kind of "pressure", would rather be something hard to swallow in the western culture. This is my opinion, as I don't see too many examples of it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Just a quick question, does anyone know that Team England had a training camp in Zhengding China in the past week in prep for Commonwealth Games?